1874 Sharps - Load suggestions?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

1874 Sharps - Load suggestions?

Post by Old Savage »

I'll revisit this later when the site works but in the mean time, here are some pics of friend Curtis's newest Shiloh Sharps. He dropped it by my office and left it with me for a few weeks to shoot as he wouldn't be using it until next month. It is a custom with some interesting features such as the patch box, saddle ring and latch for the lever and upgrade wood. It has beautiful color case hardening and is a wonderful example of the gun maker's art. One range session so far. It seemingly doesn't get on too well with the 365 Lee and for the traditionalists - refuses to shoot the 325 Leverevolution. Approximately 8" groups with either. I believe some here have said they do better with the heavier bullets. It has a 24" barrel and is very handy. What an interesting rifle to shoot. I can see how guys get hooked. Enjoy.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Let's see, 1st question: What caliber?

#2, what powder & charge were you using?

#3, was that 8" @ 100 yards?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

45-70, the handload was 25.0 grs of 2400 behind a 365 Lee. I had previously gotten about 2 1/2" for five at 100 yds with my 1895SS and yes the shooting on these were at 100 yds. That load had previously chronographed 1475 fps in the Marlin.

What works well for you in smokeless in you Sharps?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I want one of those but in .50-70... Image
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Who is the manufacturer?

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I really like AA5744. I use a RCBS .45-325-FN-U in my Browning 1886. I've been down below 2moa. However, I think the Shiloh will have a faster twist and will like a heavier bullet better. I'd call Shiloh and ask them what twist they're using in their .45 cal rifles these days and what weight bullet they recommend. I seem to think that when I was there 10 days ago, they said 1-16 for the .40 cals, and just don't remember what they were using in the .45s. I found that mine was made in '87 and has a 1-20 per the original .40-90SBN.

The .45-70 is a really easy cartridge to load for, and while each rifle will differ, my Browning likes a moderate crimp. Check out Accurate Powder reloading data. IMO, I'd recommend staying at the low end of the recommended loadings for whatever bullet weight you choose. It appears that you have a fairly short barrel, similar to ScottT's and may not gain either velocity or accuracy by increasing your charges. And regardless of the fact that you're using the same cartridge, and similar bullets, even with similar barrel lengths, the design of the action will have an impact on your velocity and accuracy. The very tight lockup of the Shiloh 1874, IMO provide a better basis for better accuracy, yet the attachment point of the forend can have a negative impact on same. The profile of the barrel, crispness of the sights, and just how you hang onto the rifle all affect the acheiveable accuracy.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Rusty, Shiloh Sharps in Big Timber, Mt. What a lovely rifle.

Hobie - probably just send them the dough. This one was about $2300 I believe. I handles very well and that little lever latch is natural underneath the middle finger.

Thanks Griff, I certainly can't claim any degree of proven skill with this rifle though it looks as if the sights were pretty much right on when I touched it off each time and I didn't call any out. I think maybe it didn't do well with the light bullets. I shot a 1/2" group with my 30-30 and a 1 7/8" group with the Marlin 45-70 and Leverevolution so beer induced oscilation or the like wasn't particularly an issue. Seems to me ScottT worked through a few loads to get those nice groups. These had no particular pattern - just weren't together.
Last edited by Old Savage on Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

Fred,

Maybe ScottT will jump in and offer some advice for you. He seems to have done much field research with his Sharps. He is probably THE go to guy on this forum regarding the Sharps. :wink:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Dave, I think Scott sticks with black - great stuff - Curtis plans to use smokeless in this one. He did buy it for the same purpose though - a general hunting gun. He has two others. All nice arms. Could get the fever myself.

Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

That's really handy looking carbine - beautiful case colors too. Is the wood standard grade?
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Shiloh's standard rate of twist in the .45-70 should be 1 turn in 18". This may stabilize the lighter bullets if they're not driven fast. I like 25 grains of SR-4759 under both the 405 and 325 grain bullets. For 500 grainers, 20 to 23 grains. But, black is best.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Bruce, the wood is standard grade but apparently there is an option to have them select the best of that. It might not be listed as an option. This is Curtis's third of these and he always seems to get some custom combination of options that he discusses with them. I guess they will do almost anything you ask.

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Old Savage are you in the medical profession?
Old Law Dawg
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Kim,

I have specialized in practicing Blair Upper Cervical Chiropractic since 1978 - after it helped me following a few traumas.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote:Bruce, the wood is standard grade but apparently there is an option to have them select the best of that. It might not be listed as an option. This is Curtis's third of these and he always seems to get some custom combination of options that he discusses with them. I guess they will do almost anything you ask.
I believe the option is in the finishing of the wood. You can get hand rubbed tung oil finish and extra coats of tung oil. Really makes any grade of wood shine.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!