Book recommendation

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Book recommendation

Post by 2ndovc »

"Bust Hell Wide Open, The Life of Nathan Bedford Forrest" by Samuel W. Mitcham. A really good book about the Confederate General and genius Cavalryman.

I'm very fortunate that neither the Second Ohio Volunteer Cavalry or the Third Indiana Cavalry never had any dealings with General Forrest or his horsemen, I don't think it would have ended well for us!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Book recommendation

Post by Blaine »

It was close... I know God was on the side of the Union....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

BlaineG wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:58 pm It was close... I know God was on the side of the Union....
Considering all, I very much doubt that GOD wants to be blamed for anything on either side of that bloody war.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

piller wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:10 pm
BlaineG wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:58 pmIt was close... I know God was on the side of the Union....
Considering all, I very much doubt that GOD wants to be blamed for anything on either side of that bloody war.
Aye... true that.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

5 July 1875 speech by Forrest to an early black civil rights group.....

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I accept the flowers as a memento of reconciliation between the white and colored races of the Southern states. I accept it more particularly as it comes from a colored lady, for if there is any one on God's earth who loves the ladies I believe it is myself. (Immense applause and laughter.) I came here with the jeers of some white people, who think that I am doing wrong. I believe I can exert some influence, and do much to assist the people in strengthening fraternal relations, and shall do all in my power to elevate every man, to depress none.

(Applause.)
I want to elevate you to take positions in law offices, in stores, on farms, and wherever you are capable of going. I have not said anything about politics today. I don't propose to say anything about politics. You have a right to elect whom you please; vote for the man you think best, and I think, when that is done, you and I are freemen. Do as you consider right and honest in electing men for office. I did not come here to make you a long speech, although invited to do so by you. I am not much of a speaker, and my business prevented me from preparing myself. I came to meet you as friends, and welcome you to the white people. I want you to come nearer to us. When I can serve you I will do so. We have but one flag, one country; let us stand together. We may differ in color, but not in sentiment. Many things have been said about me which are wrong, and which white and black persons here, who stood by me through the war, can contradict. Go to work, be industrious, live honestly and act truly, and when you are oppressed I'll come to your relief. I thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for this opportunity you have afforded me to be with you, and to assure you that I am with you in heart and in hand." (Prolonged applause.)

Dr. Nelson W. Winbush is a black floridian retired educator and a descendant of one of Forrest's negro troopers.

H.K. Edgerton is another prominent black Confederate descendant and n.a.a.c.p member and past president of the asheville n.c. chapter of that organization.
m.A.g.a. !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The book also dispels the misconception that Forrest was a racist and creator of the Klan. In it's original conception they were a group that had nothing to do with the perversion that it later became.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

BlaineG wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:58 pm It was close... I know God was on the side of the Union....
I was not assigning "blame". God loved all the people involved, North/South/Black/White....It was imperative to keep the Union intact. Divided, we would have succomed to outside forces very quickly. This USA was a very important part of keeping the world as safe as possible.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

BlaineG wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:01 pm
I was not assigning "blame". God loved all the people involved, North/South/Black/White....It was imperative to keep the Union intact. Divided, we would have succomed to outside forces very quickly. This USA was a very important part of keeping the world as safe as possible.
I understand. I was just pointing out that in conflicts which are as bloody and filled with as much acrimony on both sides as that one, that it can be shown that both sides did things which were nothing to be proud of. I believe that the Union needed to be preserved. I also see that the laws should have been respected. There was a lot of bad in that war.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

piller wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:31 pm
BlaineG wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:01 pm
I understand. I was just pointing out that in conflicts which are as bloody and filled with as much acrimony on both sides as that one, that it can be shown that both sides did things which were nothing to be proud of. I believe that the Union needed to be preserved. I also see that the laws should have been respected. There was a lot of bad in that war.
I totally agree...

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV