Hurricane Michael Damage - Before and After

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Hurricane Michael Damage - Before and After

Post by Old No7 »

Wow…

I know no hurricane is good, but Hurricane Michael sure was bad!!! I just saw these "before & after" images on the web –- and it sure is sobering…….

Mother Nature is NOT to be fooled with –- she sure can be a mean muther! :shock:

Prayers up for all those affected.

Old No7

( Click on images to enlarge )

Ivy Road Estates, Panama City – before:

01 Before.jpg

Ivy Road Estates, Panama City – after:

01 After.jpg

Hangars at Tyndall AFB – before:

02 Before.jpg

Hangars at Tyndall AFB – after:

02 After.jpg

Display Aircraft at Tyndall AFB – before:

03 Before.jpg

Display Aircraft at Tyndall AFB – after:

03 After.jpg

Panama City waterfront – before:

04 Before.jpg

Panama City waterfront – after:

04 After.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hurricane Michael Damage - Before and After

Post by jeepnik »

The photos of Tyndall bring to mind what Eglin looked like after the hurricane, Louise(?), hit there in the 70’s. Airbases are built pretty tough. Mother Nature is tougher. Pray all are safe and recovery is fast.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I was somehow surprised at the damage to Tyndall as well.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It sure sorts out the buildings that were built well versus not.... :|

I was in Virginia Beach, and interested in the 'elevations' there, and even in the middle of the peninsula the city is on, the topographic maps show the elevation between 5 and 10 feet, and that's a mile or so from the beach.

I don't know what the 'reference' elevation is though - at my home in Indiana, we're 600-700 feet above 'sea level' so I never really cared whether 'sea level' is high tide or low, and full moon or quarter moon, or whatever, but 5-10 feet is not much protection from something as huge as an ocean.

Even if I owned land that was beach-front, I think the only structure I'd try to build would be a masonry one, and I'd not keep anything water would damage there that wasn't inexpensive and replaceable. I'm surprised anyone can get insurance there, given the unavoidability of damage when a hurricane hits, and the eventual inevitability of one hitting.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Here on Long Island, we've had , and weathered numerous hurricanes and nor easters, the immediate waterfront and barrier beaches get hammered, and the surge flooding covers the real low elevations adjacent to the shorefront, after that its mainly a wind event, we dont have the rivers that flood due to the torrential rains, and the lowland bottoms that take forever to drain.
Im at 15 feet, and about 1/4 mile from the bay and have never been flooded, this place didnt even flood during the infamous 38 hurricane, but a huge hotel at the foot of the road,(under 1/4 mi away) dissapeared.
If it happened before, it will happen again, yet people keep building in harms way and expect to be rescued, compensated, and taken care of in spite of their poor choices.
I feel bad for the folks who died, or became homeless and lost everything, but frankly, it was inevitable. You dont cross a busy highway blindfolded, and you dont build in a hazard zone, cause sooner or later, bad things will happen.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:51 am It sure sorts out the buildings that were built well versus not.... :|

I was in Virginia Beach, and interested in the 'elevations' there, and even in the middle of the peninsula the city is on, the topographic maps show the elevation between 5 and 10 feet, and that's a mile or so from the beach.

I don't know what the 'reference' elevation is though - at my home in Indiana, we're 600-700 feet above 'sea level' so I never really cared whether 'sea level' is high tide or low, and full moon or quarter moon, or whatever, but 5-10 feet is not much protection from something as huge as an ocean.

Even if I owned land that was beach-front, I think the only structure I'd try to build would be a masonry one, and I'd not keep anything water would damage there that wasn't inexpensive and replaceable. I'm surprised anyone can get insurance there, given the unavoidability of damage when a hurricane hits, and the eventual inevitability of one hitting.
If I remember correctly, the "reference level" is mean tide level on USGS topos.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

https://amp.businessinsider.com/us-air- ... ts-2018-10

Saw this today about F-22 and F-35 damage at Tyndall. ThoughtvI saw somewhere that the planes were flown to other bases before the hurricane hit?
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

The ones that were left there were grounded due to maintenance issues.
The Lord Bless You

Terry
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Terrible, prayers continuing for all involved.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

41 Redhawk wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:12 pm The ones that were left there were grounded due to maintenance issues.
I'd read that there were 55 F22's stationed at Tyndall and they'd successfully relocated 33 to another field.

But at 300-million per aircraft, maintenance issues or whatever, you'd think that the USAF could rent a few trucks.

:roll:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

FWiedner wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:27 pm
41 Redhawk wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:12 pm The ones that were left there were grounded due to maintenance issues.
I'd read that there were 55 F22's stationed at Tyndall and they'd successfully relocated 33 to another field.

But at 300-million per aircraft, maintenance issues or whatever, you'd think that the USAF could rent a few trucks.

:roll:
I'd not be surprised if they were eventually repaired. Their airframes are carbon composite. Fairly easy to replace the panels.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"