RANGE REPORT: 3.5" USFA Rodeo Storekeeper in 45 Colt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

RANGE REPORT: 3.5" USFA Rodeo Storekeeper in 45 Colt

Post by Noah Zark »

WHAT OTHER CALIBERS DOES IT COME IN????? PACO

Found some range time on a bright, sunny 65F day in northern PA with which to wring out my new 3.5" 45 Colt Rodeo Storekeeper with ejector rod, a.k.a. "Black Bart." I'm not in the habit of naming my guns, but that's what my wife took to calling it when I was cleaning it of the factory oil.

I fitted a lower weight mainspring to the shorty SA because the USRA mainspring was pretty stout, and all of my SAs have lightened mainsprings.

It was an impromptu range session, so I didn't have any targets with which to print groups. I did set up some claybirds on edge at 15, 20, and 25 yards, but first warmed up on a 4" cube of rock maple. I tossed the maple cube out on the range and it landed between 15 and 20 yards. With five rounds of Winchester Cowboy loads (my "standard" ammo for trying new-to me guns in 45 Colt) in the cylinder I hit the block 4/5 shots, chasing it around a bit.

Next came the claybirds, and I hit all five at 15, four at 20, and all five again at 25 yards. Had to hold at 6 o'clock, maybe an inch low at 6 o'clock in order to hit them. I wiped out the rest of the box of ammo on larger bits and pieces of claybird, and on chasing the maple cube around the range.

Impressions:

1) The 3.5" Rodeo Storekeeper is plenty accurate and reasonably regulated. I like a 6 o'clock hold, and this one is pretty much right there, and can handle a tad warmer loads even.

2) Winchester factory Cowboy loads seem to recoil a bit more "smartly" and with more of a "crack" than a "boom" as compared to the same ammo in my Uberti 4-5/8" 45 Colt SAs. As expected, the shorty Storekeeper climbs a bit more in recoil than a 4-5/8" 45 Colt SA. I attribute that as a function of the lower weight due to 1.25" less barrel length. The bakelite grips are aggressively checkered and do not rotate in the hand like a set of wooden stocks do in a SA. Target reacquisition is much faster as a result.

3) Winchester factory Cowboy load empties fall out of the cylinder by their own weight, as with most other 45 Colt-chambered weapon that I have. The USFA Storekeeper is no exception.

4) After 25 or 30 rotations of the cylinder there's no evidence of a drag line.

5) There's no evidence of leading in the bore, just some black soot tracks that cleaned out with two passes of a patch moistened with G96 Gun Treatment.

6) Balance and handling of the 3.5" USFA Storekeeper is noticeably better than that of a 4-5/8" SA, and those themselves are no slouch in the handling department. There's a touch of front-heaviness in the 4-5/8" 45 Colt SAs that's absent in the Storekeeper.

7) A Brownells "Gunslinger" lightened mainspring is a must. With one installed, the SA hammer doesn't fall like a ton of bricks and jar the sights off of alignment the way the factory mainspring does.

8 ) The Storekeeper goes through ammo was too fast.

9) At $690, the Storekeeper was a steal.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

that is a real pretty sidearm. I think that would be a great woods bummin' gun...
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Awesome report! Sounds like a keeper to me!!! :D

I'm thinking it would make a great CCW to boot. Maybe not the fastest reloading weapon one could carry, but who needs to reload when it hits what you aim at and leaves a .45-caliber hole? :wink:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

NZ - What a wonderful range report. That is a beautiful pistol! You did very well and I hope you have many many years of enjoyment out of it.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

Definitely that would make a good woods buddy. I had a birds head Vaquero with the 3 1/2 inch barrel but it was too heavy for me and it is now in a friends posession. Yours would be much nicer in the carry and balance.

Thumbs up on your new toy.
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I put a lighter Wolff mainspring in my Rodeo and was very happy with the results. I agree that the factory spring was a tad to stiff. Man, that is a good lookin gun!
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

3 and 1/2 in Rodeo

Post by Marlin .35 »

That is a fantastic single action. Tghat would make a great woodsman packer. I am still drooling!!!!!!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
Sikeston Slinger
Levergunner

Post by Sikeston Slinger »

Noah:

I am curious if you have to take the ejector rod housing off to remove the cylinder? I am looking to get one of the Rodeo II (matte "nickel") sheriff's models (no ejector rod). I love the looks of yours, but I have always wanted a sheriff's model for some reason. I recently got a 16" stainless trapper from NKJ and think the Rodeo II will complement it nicely.

Regards,
Slinger
Liberty and Justice
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Sikeston Slinger wrote:Noah:

I am curious if you have to take the ejector rod housing off to remove the cylinder?
Not on mine; the cyl popped right out once the cyl pin was removed and the gate open.

Paco wrote: WHAT OTHER CALIBERS DOES IT COME IN?????
Don't know, sorry. It's not listed on the USFA website, and the dealer I bought it from was under the impression that it's only available in 45 Colt, but in either satin blue or nickel. Since I bought this, I've seen Rodeo Storekeepers on GA, GB, and AA in the blued and nickel variations, but in every case listed as 45 Colt.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

NICE GUN I like my Rodeo but its the regular model in 4 .75 in I REALLY like tha model and may start looking for one my self NICE CARRY gun
GOOD LUCK with it
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great