Lever Action Rifle Match

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Lever Action Rifle Match

Post by gundownunder »

So SSAA WA put together a promo video to show what we do.

Part of what we shoot is CLAS, but the rest is paper targets shot in a way that you guys apparently don't do.

There are a dedicated bunch of us shooting these matches all over Australia. This year I've travelled 5,000 miles to attend one state and two national championships. Next year I'm hoping to clock up about 10,000 miles to attend the same 3 matches.

Here's a link so you can check it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSO5jVjYQb0
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Lever Action Rifle Match

Post by J Miller »

Bob,

That looks like fun.

If it wasn't for the big puddle between us I'd come over and join you. :)

Are those rim fires 9422s or Henrys or both, and what is that huge rear sight many of the shooters have on them?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

You guys are organized! Everything nice and clean with sharp lines. At some of the clubs I've been to, that's all they do is put the steel animals on old tree stumps or rocks.-----6
Model A Uzi’s
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Cool and interesting video, thanks for posting... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

That does look like fun: kinda' puts the "action" back into the "lever action" game. And looks like quite a lot younger average age of shooter than we have in our group here.

And I didn't see a single tang sight in the bunch.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Fun.
Interesting that in a promotional video they don’t have any eye protection.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

earlmck wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:16 am
And I didn't see a single tang sight in the bunch.
I noticed that also. Kinda funny how we Americans put target sights on our military rifles and consider it normal but how often would you see target sights like those in the video on a lever gun over here? Tang sights aplenty on this side of the pond but target sights are rare on a lever here.
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

Those target sights ruin it for me. Takes the nostalgia right out.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

There are some tang sights, my brother uses one on his Rossi 357. We also use open sights as fitted by the rifle manufacturer, and receiver sights by Williams and Lyman. The big target sights you're seeing are Anshultz , quite a few use them on their rimfires or open centerfires. If you are good enough to get the most out of a sight they may gain you a few points, but a lot of people are spending more than they need to. Another popular sight is the #4 Central sight used on the Enfield 303. Lever action match rules state that for rimfire and centerfire matches the sights must be metallic sights. Classic caliber match must be with a centerfire cartridge commercially manufactured before 1937 and sights must be open sights.
A few of our top shooters came over to the USA to shoot the CLAS internationals at Raton this year, and lamented that you guys didn't shoot a lever action match, and thought it would be great if you did, so we could shoot international matches in lever action as well.
Of course our CLAS rules are pretty much the same as your NRA rules.
On the subject of eye protection as pointed out by Tycer, we put up signs telling people that eye and ear protection is required, but heck, we aren't their mothers.
Bob
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Pretty cool. That drone footage of Bruce shooting was cool. It is Australia, so there had to be at least one Bruce in the bunch.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

If it wasn't for the big puddle between us I'd come over and join you.
It's only a little puddle Joe, and you can fly over it these days :lol:
If we turned this into an international match we could take it in turns to fly over the puddle to shoot the annual championships.
Heck, it would have to be worth it just for the opportunity to get together for a BBQ and a few beers with folks who talk to each other on this forum on an almost daily basis
I really find it surprising that in a country with millions of lever guns you don't have a dedicated lever gun match. We have been shooting this match in Oz since the early 70s

On the subject of 22s, we use mostly Marlin and Winchester, with some Brownings thrown in. There are a couple of Henry's but they are few and far between, as they have not established a good reputation in this country.
We even get a few of those Chinese knockoffs of the Winchester made by Norinco, and they get called all sorts of names, some not repeatable on a family forum, but some guys have a decent run with them.
Bob