I bought a metal detector the other day

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

I bought a metal detector the other day

Post by 2ndovc »

Spent a couple of hours in the back yard with it. First pile of useless junk, pipes, old break pads, piece of molding from an old car, etc. The only thing useful is a large chunk of lead. It's split on one side, probably a large sinker used for trolling around the lake. Our place used to be part of an old farm, I'm sure I'll dig up a bunch of useless junk as I get the hang of this thing. Somewhere out there is a Platinum wedding band that I lost about three years ago and still haven't heard the end of it! :oops:

There's a small park up the road from us that's been there awhile, but doesn't see a lot of people anymore. Might trot over there tomorrw for something different.

The Heineken bottle cap was probably mine. :D
jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: I bought a metal detector the other day

Post by Sixgun »

Oh man! You get ALL of the neat stuff! :D

I must have found 200 bullets, junk, (lots of junk..even buried Pabst Blue Ribbon cans) maybe ten dollars in coins and all of it was my stuff at one time or another. The money came mostly from the sidewalk in front of the house and a little grassy spot where I have cleaned my vehicles for the past 40 years.

Best I've found were a couple of wheat pennies...probably mine when they were plentiful.

You will get the hang of it by the tone and the numbers that come up. I've got that down real good with bullets and don't even bother to dig em up anymore. Last year I spent several hours at an old historic black church...closed since the seventies....and I did find an old axe head that's still usable, lots of beer tabs and other assorted junk.

I see you and I have the same make and model....you know what they say, "Great minds think alike." :D

Pitchy has found lots of neat stuff from old logging camps.----6

Model A Uzi’s
65bee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 65bee »

I bought my first detector, an early White, around 1970, and had a heck of a time with it. Found lots of silver coins and miscellaneous neat items; one a bronze Teddy Roosevelt medallion someone had made into a pendant and lost many, many years ago. Found dozens of spent bullets, some in the strangest places. This was before every Tom, Dick & Harry owned a detector and there were lots of virgin places to cover. Around 2000, I decided to get back into it and purchased another White, a high-end model with all the bells & whistles. What a piece of stuff! My old 1970 model was so much better. I also found out that anyplace worth checking had already been covered by multiple other enthusiasts. A great disappointment. Anyway, I have one piece of advice for newbys to the game - always dig, no matter what the detector tells you is there. If not, you may pass up some real good finds.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I've had a detector off and on for years after renting a White's Coinmaster back in the dark ages. (I've been to the White's factory in Sweet Home, Oregon. Nice little out of the way place.)
I have had a Compass (no longer made), Garretts and a Minelab, but my current machine is a Tesoro DeLeon, which proved to be a very nice coin detector, which is about all I wanted it for. It found me a bunch of wheat pennies and some silver dimes, too. I started out without one, but would no longer think of detecting without my Garrett "carrot" Pro-pointer pinpointing probe, my Lesche digging tool and my single-ear Rattler headphone, which allows me to hear the detector tones and remain aware of the situation around me.
Jason, spend time with your machine and it will start teaching you its language.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Jack, the Ace 400 seemed to have the best reviews vs. price that I could find. I've been looking at them for awhile, finally decided to buy one since the "missing" wedding band came up again the other day. :shock:

65Bee,

I haven't gotten very far because I keep digging up everything. :D I found a few more things this afternoon. A big chunk of cast iron that was down about 8"-9". It was pinging up a storm, had to see what it was. Found a couple more plumbing parts and a big piece of tin flashing. That piece of tin really sounded good on the monitor. It could have been anything. We dug up all kinds of stuff here when we were building. Old tools, cow bones, hinges and door knobs. I think they just threw everything out back and let it rot. The original house dates to 1900.

Something different to do. Can't wait to take it up to our cabin in PA. Lots of old cabin sites to wander around.

jb 8)

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Fun fun fun, get a Garret pointer too, we just got one this year and they work real well for pin pointing the object when your in the hole trying to find it.
Yep great fun . 8) :)

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Pitchy,

I was looking at those the other day, I'll grab one the next time I'm Cabela's. Surprisingly, they had their Garretts priced within a couple of dollars of Amazon and I didn't have to wait for it. :D

jb 8)

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

You`ll love it, we opted for the orange one over the black .
We can`t wait until spring to get out digging some more. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Many moons ago I bought an early metal detector. After work in the mornings I'd go to the local beach and destress looking for stuff. Mostly junk, and a few coins. The only thing I found of value was a wedding ring set. The woman who lost it left her name with the life guards. I was able to get it returned. Life got in the way and I gave it up. Retirement is looming. MIght pick a new one up. Heck the old one is in the closet, wonder if it works.

Anyway, does anyone have a suggestion as to what's good.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I've got the same pin pointer as Pitchy..the orange one......it is an absolute must. You will have a shovelful of dirt and in that 15 pounds of dirt is a little coin....the pointer will go right to it saving you time, energy, and aggravation.----6
Model A Uzi’s
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I've had a Garrett Grand Master Hunter blah blah for about 20 years. I have a hard time finding time to use it. I figured out quick that it was a cool weather sport.

The other night I sat out and shot some hogs off my feeder by the moonlight. Went back the next morning with the Garrett to retrieve my Grendel brass :)

Most interesting things I ever found was brass at old Montana homesteads. 40-82 and .250-3000 Savage. I'd never heard of them at the time. I'd heard of .250 Savage but wasn't aware of its older nomenclature.

Like others....I've found bullets in strange places
I live on an old WW II training ground and find lots of .30-06 brass. Most likely blanks but usually they are rotted back to the shoulder.

One year we had a bad drought so I went to the swimming areas at the lake and found mostly jewellery items.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jeep, you can read yourself to sleep here. I found out the hard way it was pretty easy to buy "too much" machine, with so many modes it would take months to learn them.

http://www.treasurenet.com/
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

The metal detector we use in the picture is a Bounty Hunter we bought at FleetFarm for about 150.00 years ago that works great for what we look for and easy to use. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

When we first moved here, we found all sorts of old farm trash from nails, wire, to horse shoes. After our mare suffered an injured foot from an old nail, we went over the barn, tool shed, and corral area with a magnet and picked up lots of metal junk. We have to do this after any big rain as it washes away years of sediment and uncovers more trash. So far nothing of real value buts lots of rusted old metal thingies. But, no more injured pony paws!

If I ever get really bored, a metal detector could be fun.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/