Hunt Report: Boar's Nest Oct 6 2018

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Hunt Report: Boar's Nest Oct 6 2018

Post by FWiedner »

Joined a small hunting party at The Boar's Nest in Kenefic, OK, yesterday.

We had a party of five hunters Charles, Jim, Ellis, Brian and Myself, with three of us looking to shoot what the proprietor refers to as trophy boars, and the other two looking for meat hogs. The Boar's Nest is split into two hunting areas. There is a smaller area of 30 acres that is walk-and-stalk for the meat hogs, and a larger area of 85 acres where the larger trophy animals reside, and where we chose to hunt over dogs.

The day began when we all met up at the bunkhouse at about 8:00am. There was another hunting party that was staying in the house that had plans to hunt the meat hog area in the morning and then leave it for us to hunt in the afternoon. We introduced everyone on site and made a loose plan for the hunt. Four of us piled into the back of a pick-up truck outfitted with bench seats and Charles rode shotgun.

The trophy enclosure at The Boar's nest has a network of unimproved tracks that pass for 'roads'. The terrain is rough and unimproved. There are trees (complete with low hanging branches) creek bottoms, dry beds, pastures littered with stones, trees fallen across 'roads' and occassionally... cattle. The ride in the back of the truck was... invigorating (along the lines taking a ride inside a clothes dryer)... but for today's hunt I think that there was not a better place to see the action.

I was the first shooter. We drove around for a few minutes, stopping every so often to listen for the dogs barking to signal whether they had a hog at bay. The dogs bayed a nice brown hog in a stand of trees, uphill from the road we were on. I got out of the truck and walked up the hill and the hog had laid down up against a tree and behind some deadfall. The place where I stopped to evaluate the scene wasn't a long shot, maybe 20 yards, but there was a thick branch in front of the hog that I didn't want to shoot around, so I took one more step... and the hog bolted. Our guide was standing beside me, and just rolled his eyes. Back into the truck... and we started chasing a hog. The dogs started barking again a couple of minutes later, and had bayed the hog down in a dry bottom. I jumped down out of the truck and started to a place where I could see the hog, and just as I sighted him he was running again. Back into the truck. We chased the hog for another few minutes until the dogs had him bayed again part way up a steep hill against a split-trunked tree that was beside a small catch of water about 18 inches deep and several feet across. I walked up the hill and was on the opposite side of the water from the hog, and he was behind the tree fighting with the dogs. The hog made a run for it up the hill and I took a shot at him which struck him quartering from behind his ribs on his right side, passed under his spine (through the tenderloin, dammit) and exited behind his left shoulder. He fell and started to roll back down the hill squealing, but then gained his front legs and worked his way back behind the tree again. He was backed up against the tree and the dogs were harassing him. He was pushed up against the tree to the extent that his entire right shoulder and chest was visible through the split in the tree and I took a second shot through the split which entered his lower chest and destroyed his heart. The hog stepped out from behind the tree staggering. I was ready for a third shot but it was not necessary. The hog staggered down to the ground and started to slide head first down the hill toward the water. Luckily, he didn't slide too far into the water. I was hunting with a Winchester Model 94AE in .356Win using handloads made of a Speer 220gr HCFN over 47.1gr of W748. Both shots had full penetration, but the second shot had a core/jacket separation. That jacket was recovered from the far side ribs on the heart shot.

We let him bleed out for a few minutes and then dragged him closer to the truck. We posed for a few photos and then loaded the hog onto an ATV to get him back to the skinning rack. So, back in the truck, we headed back to the bunkhouse area.
01_Freds Hog Oct 18_s.jpg
02_Close up Freds_s.jpg
03_Skinner Girl_s.jpg
10_Whats left of the Speer 220.jpg

The other hunting party mentioned earlier had success and now there were hogs to skin. Our skinner was outstanding. I apologize that I never caught the young lady's name but brother... she could use a knife. I think she skinned 9 hogs between 9am and 3pm, almost by herself, and did an expert's job. While we waited, our Host, Mr. Paris, regaled us with tales of broken ribs, bears, and buttermilk. He is a fine fellow.

By the time the hog I'd shot was skinned and in a cooler, the other group was done hunting and on it's way in with their hogs, so our little group split up. Brian and Jim went over to the walk-and-stalk, and Charles, Ellis, and I loaded back into the truck to run down another hog over on the trophy side.

Ellis was the next shooter up. His hunt started much like mine where the dogs got a hog bayed, Ellis jumped down out of the truck to approach and the hog ran. We watched the dogs chase the hog down a hill and saw the hog turn to address the dogs about 50 yards downhill on the road right in front of us. The temptation was there to just stand up and shoot from the bed of the truck, but Ellis again jumped down from the truck and by the time his feet hit the ground the hog was running again. The driver/guide started driving off before Ellis was back onto the truck, and I was wondering if he planned to make him walk for a while, but it turns out he was just focused on trying to get the truck between a fallen tree and a five or six foot drop off the road on the passenger side. Ellis regained the truck and it was several minutes before we picked up on the dogs again. This time the dogs had the hog backed up to some trees beside a dry bed, and we had a good clearing in front of the truck. The dogs were harassing the hog and it was obvious that he was going to bolt again. Ellis had dismounted the truck and had just got up front when the hog ran down into the bottom of the dry bed running toward us. The guide shouted to Ellis that the hog could come out of the bed toward him, and that's exactly what happened. Ellis took a first shot and missed, but the hog startled and then started to run perpendicular, whereat Ellis made a broadside shot that dropped the hog. Whack. We took photos and then that hog was loaded into the back of the truck with the rabble (that's me) and hauled back to the skinning rack where the girl was still skinning hogs like a machine.
04_Ellis Hog_s.jpg
05_Ellis Hog_s.jpg

Back in the truck and looking for another hog. Charles was the shooter. The hogs bayed a third boar back in some thick brush. Our guide parked the truck in a rough patch and then he and Charles went through the brush and toward the sound of the dogs on our left. We could hear Mr. Paris down there commanding the dogs on the boar. Our driver/guide went in with another dog. Ellis and I could not see the hog, but we could see dogs moving to keep the hog bayed. We we unable to see Charles or the hog. We heard barking and shouting, and then two shots, and then more shouting and barking. Ellis and I dismounted the truck and went through the brush to see what the heck was going on. When we got there Charles and our guide were looking down into a dark wet hole under a couple of fallen trees. There was thick blood on some of the broken branches, and at least one of the dogs had been cut by the boar. In the bottom of the water-filled hole was a boar, bobbing on his side in the water, apparently drowning, with a gunshot wound to the head. We all stood there for a few minutes making sure that the hog was dead, and advising the guide to stay out of the water until he was sure it was dead. The animal bobbed up and down while the guide pushed at it with the toe of his boot and I poked a stick around it's visible eye until we were sure that the beast had expired. The guide then waded into the hole and wrapped a tow strap around the hog. It took three people to drag the hog out of the water, and Mr. Paris went to get the front-end loader to haul the hog out. While he was gone we took some photos.
06_Fishing for Charles Hog_s.jpg
07_Wounded Dog_s.jpg
08_Charles Hog_s.jpg
09_Close Up Charles_s.jpg

By the time we got back to the bunkhouse area, Brian had taken a hog from the walk-and-stalk area, and before the girl was done cleaning up Charles hog, Jim had taken a hog.
It took a little bit longer for the skinner girl to work through the back-log of hog, but she got it done, and then we tipped our skinner and settled up on the final tab with Mr. Paris.

It was a bit warm, and there were some bugs, but the weather was good, there was game, the hunters were good company and performed well, and the Boar's Nest staff was, as usual, outstanding. I had fun.

It was a good day.

:mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by FWiedner on Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hunt Report: Boar's Nest Oct 6 2018

Post by crs »

Indeed it was a good day, Fred. And thank you for a good report.

With your approval, I will add a couple of things.
The .45-70 double rifles did their job. Ellis had made the one he used for a client that has not hunted it, so Ellis brought it down from Colorado to blood it and he did fine with it on a hog racing past within 15 feet(I was standing jus a few feet behind Ellis and had a good view of it all).
My DR is the Beretta .45-70 that I posted here earlier this year. DUE TO THE STEEP TERRAIN, CUT BANK, AND DOWN TREES, I HAD TO
approach within 4 feet of the bank edge for a total of 8 feet of the boar to get a clear shot at his head. It would have been a one shot kill if the darn dogs had let the hog stay still for a moment. But he constantly moved and my first shot just grazed his head and cut up the ear that I was aiming behind. The second attempted head shot was also not EXACTLY ON THE CRANIUM , but it did break the spine just back of the head and dropped the boar into the muddy water. One of his cutters was broken or I would have risked divorce and saved the head as a trophy.

Before you ask, her name is hard to remember, but her nick name is Mo. She has skinned hogs, guided, fetched dead hogs in from the field, scouted for me for the last three years and actually herded a boar to me earlier this year. And, man can she handle the knives!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

That sounds like a cool place but 14 hrs. and 735 miles via memphis and little rock is a little far for me.....

If that Mo chica does not have a fan club and or a reality tv agent yet, well....she ought to !
m.A.g.a. !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Now that just looks like WAY too much fun......! 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Thanks for posting about your hunt, fellas - I really enjoyed the way you both expressed yourselves.

It was like I was there with you - Very Good !

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Ray,
I agree and the same goes for Jerry who drove, handled dogs. fished out hogs, and told me some hunting stories that could only happen to a person living in the woods and hunting and fishing daily and some nights. Running a single hog with dogs all night and breaking a leg doing that is an example.

Maybe Jerry and Mo can find me another big black hog with all cutters intact and I can have it mounted. :wink:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Wow, what a hoot 8) :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Jim and I went to the walk and stalk and almost had to bring out the anti-aircraft guns for the swarms of mosquitoes. I was almost taken down to my knees from the weight of the mosquitoes while a few of the bigger ones did a rather credible job of attempting to carry Jim away. We made our escape and finally found the gate to get out. We went and found some insect repellent. After using what we could out of it, we prepared to go out again. I was usind a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington, and Jim was using a Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08 with a scope and Manlicher stock. Mr. Paris sent his wife out in the side by side with a dog in the cage on the back. They released the dog and she started driving around to try to stir up the hogs. After a couple of minutes she asked if one of us wanted to ride and the other could take a spot near the small stream running through the land. Jim took the first ride, but the hogs were hiding well and the dog didn't even get them to stir. Mrs. Paris brought Jim over to the stream and he took up station while I went along to look for the hogs. On the trird pass, she noticed some ears sticking up in a dark and shady brushpile. She stopped and covered her ears and told me to shoot. I missed. The hogs took off in third gear as it was just too hot to get into fourth or overdrive. We chased 2 of them along the fenceline toward Jim. All of a sudden, the wind shifted and they smelled the bug spray and came right back toward us. We chased them around and back toward Jim. After a bit, the two hogs stopped and looked back and forth. I took a shot and missed completely. The hogs took off toward Jim and he shot the bigger one. It turned around and ran at us, stopped, and bact toward Jim. He shot again and down it went. We got Mr. Paris to bring the tractor with the bucket to pick up the hog. Mrs. Paris and I went in the side by side to another spot which we hadn't looked at yet because it had almost no brush. I suddenly saw a hog laying down behind a log. I had Mrs. Paris stop and she covered her ears again. I fired and hit the hog in the head. It flopped on its side and started twitching. I got out and went over to see it it needed a second shot. I shot again and it went limp. We had it picked up and we went back to the cleaning station. Mo was still cleaning hogs. That young lady is a hard worker. My hog had an abcess on its right side on the ribs from a fight with another hog. Mo threw away that side of the ribs as we both agreed that they would not be worth eating. I still had a decent amount of meat, and Charles gave his to me as he said his wife didn't want any more now. I think PillHer and my son are anticipating the sausage. Jim is a good hunting partner, and I had a lot of fun. While Mo cut up our hogs, we asked about the Redtick hounds odd Yodelling bark. That dog is so crazy eager to hunt that it has survived having its throat cut by a hog, as well as being almost disembowelled and having its side cut open. Mo said she had that dog mate with another redtick hound and she got 4 puppies out of the mix. She wanted puppies from that dog before it got itself killed. You can't beat an eager dog when it comes to chasing hogs.

By the way. For some reason, whenever I am there, Charles washes his hogs after he shoots them and before taking them to be cleaned. :lol:
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A someday bucket list trip. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Looks like a great time. Glad you had fun.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sounds like a great time! I really enjoyed those hunts in TX with you guys that Joe used to put together. I found a couple of places in southern OH that offer boar and exotic game that I'd like to try. Hopefully this fall.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Blaine,
Do not wait too long, as chasing the hounds in the back of the pickup may be too much excitement for you. There will be lots more opportunities this winter as 86er, my son, my grandson and likely others have yet to do this hunt. It is REALLY nice to have Jerry and Mo to handle the difficult and messy tasks and let us older" gentlemen" just do the shooting, cigar smoking (Ellis) and story telling ( though Larry Paris and the staff have a world of tales too).
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Right side cutters. longest was 3 inches. Too bad left side cutters were broken.

All in a days work - Jerry wading bare foot in for boar.

Now you can see how the boar managed to stay protected from the dogs and the hunter and swap ends as needed. When lining up a shot, only the neck and head OR the butt were visible and then always moving. With someone shouting "do not shoot the dogs" or " shoot him in the head", it was a bit frenzied for what seemed like 5 minutes, but was actually less than one minute.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

BlaineG wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:49 am A someday bucket list trip. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
+1 :mrgreen:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I live about 2 hours from there, but we could probably find room for someone to spend the night and drive up in the morning to go hunt.
D. Brian Casady
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Super report gentlemen. :mrgreen: I'm in the northeast corner of Oklahoma so could be doable for me. Glad you had such a wonderful time. I may try to kill one on my place as they are moving in on us.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Dang! That looks like fun...more fun than other animals like deer.

I was looking at the double rifle and for a minute, it looked like the shotgun I sold Griff some years back.----6
Model A Uzi’s
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Which double do you mean? Hammers or hammerless? The 45-70 Ellis used had external hammers.

MINE IS THE PRETTY COIN FINISH ACTION BERETTA. :)
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Crs.....yours is the pretty one with class! Well, to be truthful, they both have class. Even Wiedners levergun has class in a most classy caliber. Enough of this "class"....you guys hunt with nice guns. I can tell that the gun you hunt with is just as important as the hunt, maybe more so. That's how I feel when hunting or competing. For real, who wants to go on a hunt with a Mossberg bolt action shotgun or show up at the National Trap Shooting Tournament with a beat up Stevens double in 16 ga. :D

Never saw a scope on a double rifle. On the other hand, I never saw too many double rifles, period.

Nice post....enjoyed the story and pics....it's what I call, "a post of substance"-----6
Model A Uzi’s
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Both my double rifles were blooded on boar at the Boars Nest. Season is always open and shooting boars is always fun.
However, more of my pigs have been shot with lever guns and bolt actions than with doubles. A few rifles have been skipped and I need to take them too. This includes my 1886 .45-90, whose turn may be coming up.

Scopes on doubles? Both mine have scopes which are VERY helpful when sighting in and working up hand loads.
The Simson .405 WCF has express sights, Talley QD peep , and Talley QD rings on 1-4 Leupold scope. Plenty of choices, but I prefer the express if possible. You would like some of the technical touches such as the Talley grooves milled into the rear rib - makes for a low scope mount and clean lines.
The Beretta .45-70 has express sights and Leupold Shotgun 1-4 scope in Leupold mount custom fitted and not easily removed. The man that made the Beretta DR did so for himself and hunted deer with it for 10 years. The scope was on it when I bought it and it shot great groups at 50 and 100 yards with the scope, so I decided to use it that way for a while. How I ever got the crosshairs on that fighting boar at 10 feet, I do not know. :shock: That range is when the express sight is best.

The "Post of Substance" by Fred is very well done as are the many pix of the hog-dog action that he provided. Ellis also took several very good pix. We had nice weather, plenty of game, excellent staff, and a jolly good time. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

CRS,
I'm stuck with too many A.H.'s in this part of the country. I've always considered myself a redneck at heart so I'm movin' on down your way. :D

Never had a double rifle or even shot one. Reading Elmer Keith and his big British doubles always had me enamored in those guns. -----6
Model A Uzi’s
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Well, 6 , if you do come down you can shoot mine.

Tomorrow I will add a pic of the Talley rib groove - pretty cool actually.
Note the two sets of indents in the rib slots; the clamps of the two Talley ring bases drop into the gaps and the scope slides forward to slot end and the rings are locked on.

Pretty cool eh? This rifle shoots 2 R and L into one inch at 50 yards - not bad for a DR.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

The Ellis from Colorado just has to be the gunsmith Ellis Brown. I have his book on building double rifles on shotgun actions, and he is a very nice fellow.

A thought occurred to me about Mo, the skinner girl. It seems she has cropped up in threads on other forums -- Charles, maybe Accurate Reloading?
I just can't help but wonder if this unusual young lady wouldn't be stunned by a college scholarship fund. I wonder if the boys at the Dallas Safari Club might not help out.
She has clearly walked her own path so far in life. I wonder what else might lie in store for her. Texas A&M?

8)
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Bill, that is a good idea. I have only met her the once, but she has a work ethic that is obvious, and that sort of hard work does well in whatever field the person gets in. CRS might be the one to suggest a scholarship to DSC and even DWWC. Maybe those of us on here could be allowed to donate to the scholarship fund if one can be set up.
D. Brian Casady
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Bill in Oregon,

You are correct; he wrote the book Building Double Rifles On Shotgun Actions and I have Volume 2 and have read it and use it as a reference. He is a nice guy, good shot and good hunting company.

Bill and Piller - Your hearts are in the right place, but such action may not be appropriate or needed. Though Mo may look like an athletic teenager, she is married with children, and may already have been to college (only 20 miles to Tishomingo). Maybe she teaches school during the week or runs a butcher shop?
IMHO, we know too little about this subject and should focus on good times hunting .
I plan to keep hunting there and maybe go run some black bear with Larry in SE OK.

We are on good terms with Mr. and Mrs. Paris and the entire staff - lets keep it that way. 8)
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Charles, your points are well taken.
Shall we keep this idea on the back burner for when some young guy or gal with a tremendous work ethic in the hunting field comes along in the future?
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

You call driving around in a 85 acre pen with dogs chasing the hogs a "hunt"??? Not in my book. Sorry! And the guys in a big whopping 35 acre pen?? Oh wow, so hard to do.

Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

twobit wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:35 pm You call driving around in a 85 acre pen with dogs chasing the hogs a "hunt"??? Not in my book. Sorry! And the guys in a big whopping 35 acre pen?? Oh wow, so hard to do.

Michael
As a youngster, I was hired to catch and/or slay a billy goat and a huge sow trapped inside a fenced jungle of wild privet hedge of less than three acres. I finally had to have both human and doggie help to accomplish it. The goat had to be slain in self-defense (so the guy claimed) and the hog was eventually coaxed onto a trailer. I've been on many hunts since but that day I experienced more "sport" than on any other.
m.A.g.a. !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Until you have been there, don't make fun of or ridicule those who have. Those pigs can hide in an instant, and the high number of those who want to hunt combined with the small amount of huntable land in the area create a unique situation. Where I grew up, it was much different. However, I have learned to adapt to how things are done where I now live. If you don't want to do it the way it is done here, no one is forcing you. I have found that adapting and learning to have fun with how it is done here is enjoyable. Hopefully you enjoy hunting the way it is done where you live.
D. Brian Casady
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Boars Nest owner , Larry Paris, in younger days - before using a UTV to follow the hounds! Yes, he is riding a mule!

The phone numbers are still good for anyone looking to book a hunt.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

twobit wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:35 pm You call driving around in a 85 acre pen with dogs chasing the hogs a "hunt"??? Not in my book. Sorry! And the guys in a big whopping 35 acre pen?? Oh wow, so hard to do.

Michael
Michael... Why so negative?

So... We didn't spend a week scouting and we weren't forced to take any 1000yd shots or haul the meat out of a deep canyon on horseback fighting grizzly bears and wolves all the way in subzero weather...

It wasn't looking for game trails and sparse sign or setting up scent and feeder traps in a huge free-range or wilderness environment.

We had multiple hunters and trained dogs in a confined area taking game safely in accordance with the property owner's established program, and we had a great time doing it.

I refuse to believe that you would not have enjoyed the day.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

All- several folks have asked about this hunt, so I sent them links AND re-read it. Fred and I forgot something important;
Yes, Mo did a great job skinning hogs, AND she also quartered each hog and washed the meat before dropping it into the proper cooler! The cleanest field quartered meat ever! As clean as 86er actually! He too can handle the knives.

Dang - I am ready to go again as soon as our winter rainy season abates and the mud dries. :wink:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I would enjoy going again if my schedule allows it. Cooler weather might let the smaller hogs move around and let us do it on foot the next time. It would still be as much fun as I can safely handle in a day. Maybe in cooler weather I might try my .480 Ruger caliber m92. That is a little bit overgunned, but the amount of fun those hogs cause would make it worth the chance of wasting some meat. I still have a few 410 grain hard cast bullets from Cast Performance. Those should punch right through and kill the hog without damaging much meat. Anything much larger than 410 grains doesn't cycle well, but those 410 grain lbt style are slick cycling and accurate. Just my opinion, but at modest velocities they are enough for anything smaller than elephant or hippo or rhino at 100 yards or less. I have shot those bullets through a 10 inch diameter hackberry tree and couldn't find the bullet. Hackberry may not be the hardest of wood, but that was a live tree and not dead and rotted. If I can get PillHer to come along to watch, maybe I can get her to let me go after the trophy size hogs. The .480 would be just fine for those big critters as long as I watch the dogs and don't let the pass through cause injury to a dog. Those dogs are some of the gutsiest dogs around, and they love to hunt.
D. Brian Casady
1894c

Post by 1894c »

this is a very good post/tread, really enjoyed the pics and the report...I need to go pig hunting... :)
Plottman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Plottman »

Excellent hunt gentlemen, the wife and I hunt hogs regularly during off season to keep the hounds in shape and help the local land owners. Very rare we get great mount trophies like those. It is still very much fun. Most of ours are 100 to 150 pounds and black pine woods rooters. Those hog look like they have a lot European blood. Wish I could write a good hunt so well. Great job.