shooting 45-70 after shoulder surgery

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

shooting 45-70 after shoulder surgery

Post by JNG »

The weekend after Thanksgiving is deer gun in Ohio. Any of you folks had this issue, shooting a Sharps 45-70,for a load that I can use?
(12 weeks after surgery) Shots will be ~100 yards.

Thank you,
Joe
piller
Posting leader...

Re: shooting 45-70 after shoulder surgery

Post by piller »

What about a factory level load safe for use in a trapdoor Springfield? That should be plenty mild with enough power to kill any whitetail deer.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

A 300 grain bullet at 1000 fps will handle thin skinned deer. 11 grains of Unique with any grain bullet shot out of a 10 pound gun will feel like a .223.----6
Model A Uzi’s
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

For my suppressor equipped 45-70 I was loading 11 grains of trail boss with a 405 or 520 lead bullet, but shots would probably need to be close. I also use 11grains of unique as well in a couple old 45-70.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I was using Unique, can’t remember charge weight but was about 1100fps with a 350gr bullet. Todd

Had my selective reading glasses on and didn’t see Tonto’s post! I was shooting yhose loads in a 5lb Contender carbine. 20 rounds off the bench were ok. Out of a 22” Marlin they were comfortable for all day shooting.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Have you discussed this with your surgeon?
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Shoulder surgery usually involves a long gradual recovery. First full strengthening cycle of ligament Is about 30 months.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

It's been just over a year since my chest was cracked open. It was months before I dared .22 leverguns. I only started using centerfire leverguns a few months ago. I'm just a bit leery of touching of the 45/70 GS. Doc says it should be ok, but some days it still aches a bit and I have no desire to mess up all good work that was done putting me back together.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:40 am Shoulder surgery usually involves a long gradual recovery. First full strengthening cycle of ligament us about 30 months.

Yeah, I sure wouldn't be shooting a .30-30 only 12 weeks after shoulder surgery, much less a .45-70 !

I look at it this way: If the shoulder never recovers fully because of another injury, powerful long guns might be verboten forever.

If you miss it, there'll be another deer season next year - pretty much what I had to do last year, after my open heart surgery.

jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I went elk hunting about 16 weeks after a shoulder replacement. It gave me an excuse to buy a Marlin TK 30-30. I used one of those shotgun shoulder pads. It helped a little. It took me about 6 months before I could shoot a 30-06 and 45-70 pain free. My doctor wouldn't give me the ok. Maybe for liability reasons. Everyone heals different. I was 52 at the time. Keeping up on physical therapy helped a whole lot. Good luck hunting!
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

In 2012 I scheduled and had rotator cuf surgery on my strong side (right shoulder) in July, so I would be healed enough to fire a rifle for deer hunting in later November. At the range, I strapped on my recoil shield and started with my 30-30, and it was fine. Then I carefully shot my 270 and it was comfortable as well.

I have a Marlin 45/70 That I reload for - and shoot, but there's no way I'd shoot my 45/70 back then. I'm a bit hesitant now six years later. My son mostly uses it now.

.......I'd leave the Sharps in the gun safe and choose something else.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Pete, I have seen and taken care of a number of them, no hard and fast rule. They can blow up in rehab. You take your choice but if you rush it, don't cry. Many get away with what they want.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I'd use this as an opportunity.
It won't be good for your shoulder to shoot the 45-70, you need to buy either a 357 magnum rifle or a 44-40 rifle, whichever of the two you don't already have. :P
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

I'd start out light if I was you, start with a .22 rimfire, if that works go to a light shooting pistol caliber rifle then work up to heavy shooting pistol caliber rifle, then go on to a light shooting rifle caliber rifle and so on. YOU DO NOT WANT TO BLOW OUT YOUR SHOULDER AGAIN! You'd be stuck with just rimfire for the rest of your life, if that. :mrgreen:
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

I talk to the doc, don't shot a 45-70 for~5 more months.
I am sure that is good advice, so I guess I will use the .357 max.
I was just hoping that I could do it with the Sharps.
I'll let you know how my hunt goes, thanks for the advice.

Joe
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Can you shoot from the other shoulder?

:?:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.