My Grandfather's Tools

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

My Grandfather's Tools

Post by TomF »

I am fortunate to have a few of the things once owned by my maternal grandfather. He was a carpenter-rancher-horsetrainer in Washington County, Texas. Though he passed from this life in 1967, I am constantly reminded of him when I open the gunsafe and find these items. The Remington RB is no longer in use as corrosive priming has taken its toll on the barrel and chamber. Grandpa's hunter horn was hewn with glass for the sound desired. He made this knife in the 40s for "stobbing" hogs on cold winter mornings and lastly, his pocket watch. I'd bet you all have memories stashed somewhere. Let's see them.

TomF

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

You are blessed.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I've posted about my family's Remington Model 8, Fox Sterlingworth, our Winchester 62 and 06, Remington and Marble's knives and so forth. It is wonderful to have that connection to family and I know how lucky we are to have that. These things will move on to my grandchildren.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

You're a fortunate man. I don't have anything like that to cherish from my relatives. I'm starting that.
Old Law Dawg
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Very neat that you have those Tom...sounds like good memories in those.

This is my Uncle John's Flat Top 44(in thumbnail at bottom). He was the best of the best....save my life when I was young man by helping to raise me and show me the right way. He was 6'2" and an incredible horseman. No need for John Wayne when he was around! This pistol was bought new by him in 1961....survived 2 burglaries and I inherited it when he passed. If there was fire, next to my kids and my Bible, this is what I would grab.

Another gun with a good bit of history on it is my Grandfather Cash's old Winchester Mod. 37 in 12 Gauge. He was an old Texas farm boy that loved children. He would take this old shotgun out every time I came over as he knew I loved looking at it. My Dad inhereted it and then he passed it on to me..pictured with the Big Bore 94 in 356.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Tom, have you considered having the old RB relined? It would make it shootable again, without damaging the inherent outer asthetics of this family treasure
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

I have spoken with our own Steve Young about the possibilities of rebuilding the old girl.

TomF
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

TomF wrote:I have spoken with our own Steve Young about the possibilities of rebuilding the old girl.

TomF
I would encourage you Tom. It is quite a thing to go hunting with those near and dear to us. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

Tom.....tell me how the horn was used? I have a very similar horn that was made by my Great-Great, Grandfather. He lived in South Mississippi, and I understand he was a coon hunter. When I was a kid I always thought it was a half-finished powder horn. It can be blown, but it is hard as heck to do it and sound right. That horn has always fascinated me because ii didn't really know what it was made to do.
Thanks
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

The horn was taken from a skull and dried. A file was used to whittle out the knot just under the mouthpiece. The hole into the horn was made by inserting a red hot wire, melting/burning the channel into the horn cavity. The bottom of the horn was scraped with broken glass to thin it down to an acceptable sound. The knot served as a stop for the leather string used to suspend the horn around grandpa's neck. When the dogs were separated from him, he would blow the horn, which carried well throughout the woods.

TomF
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

How hard is that horn to blow? When I try to blow mine it mostly sounds like something is dying! Either way, that is a very cool collection of family heirlooms.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Nothing better than a firearm with family history! :D
allen1980

Post by allen1980 »

my granddad has a double barrel william and moore company 12 guage with exposed hammers and great detailed ingravings.it belonged to his dad.i would like to have it i dont know what its worth but my uncle will end up with it more than likley then shortly after it will be up for sale.
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

Like Hobie said ... hunting with a family treasure is unforgetable.

I took my father's Winchester 94 and knife out for a walk one day a few years ago. Both worked just right on the doe.

It is a unique feeling.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Those horns served to signal between hunters too..prolly since the stone age..and still can serve as a poor mans "Walkie Talkie" today ..Different toots meant different things.. We boiled ours out to soften them up before we scraped them...
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

TomF, nice tools you have been left to take care of. My granddad on my Moms side left most his firearms to me and they are my most treasured guns that I have. Take Hobie's advice and get out hunting/shooting with it, you will feel the connection every time.

Here is my granddads hunting rifle.

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Family heirlooms are a wonderful thing.
I dont have any from my past but hope to leave some to my kids and grandkids in the future.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The 1994 Gun Digest had an article about a Krag like that in it's One Good Gun series. The fellow downed and antelope with it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Gryphon Black
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gryphon Black »

There was only ever one granddad rifle in my family, and I know very little about it other than that it was a .22, and my mother's father had it with him the day he was out with a friend in a boat, and lightning struck before they could get ashore.
That cost my mother her dad when she was eight. No one knows what happened to the rifle, so I can't post any pics of it.
But I gotta friend I work with now who inherited his granddads Winchester '92 25-20! He takes it out on occasional sunny days and puts a few through it. I always hope to be there when he does, cuz he lets his friends shoot it too! When I can scam a picture of that, I'll post it.
As for other tools, I have a sharpening stone fragment my other grampa used in his workshop, and I have a knife my Grandma used when she made baskets.
I know what you mean about using a piece of your family history :)
My Mom has a little colt .380 she got for herself to protect the house with, and I made sure to let her know I expect to inherit that someday, so not to pawn it or nothin' :lol:

Gryphon
bang.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

Mr. Cash, A flat top is a fine one to have bequeathed. Not to mention the 37. Seems the single shot shotguns of today don't have the feel of those from yesteryear. I wish they'd bring them back

Salvo, that is one inKredible Krag!! I want one!! :D

TomF
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

TomF wrote:Mr. Cash, A flat top is a fine one to have bequeathed. Not to mention the 37. Seems the single shot shotguns of today don't have the feel of those from yesteryear. I wish they'd bring them back

Salvo, that is one inKredible Krag!! I want one!! :D

TomF
Yes Sir....I am a lucky dude. I think the Flat Tops were the best handgun ever made, period. Your also right about the modern singles. They feel like 2X4's compared to the older Win. 37's. Once again, the class got lost along the way!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8