Geese.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Geese.

Post by Nath »

Use to shoot alot of them but have left them for a couple of years.
This year I thought I would just take one or two if I can get under them.
Tonight it happened. A strong wind in the right direction helped. Several groups of Canada's and greylags were making for their roosting water.
Four shots. First shot bird down, second barrel missed second bird. Third shot was a longish one. It stopped the bird on the wing and a quick second barrel brought it down.
Two geese in a game bag and a mile plus walk to the car got the ticker pumping!

That's goose shooting for me this year.

N
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Re: Geese.

Post by iceman »

Good eating there. Do you have to uses steel shot?
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

iceman wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:42 pm Good eating there. Do you have to uses steel shot?
Steel, bismuth and I think tin can be used.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That is a bunch of good eating for a while. Not had any goose in a long time.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
JRD
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JRD »

That sounds like an enjoyable hunt.
Nice choice of shotgun too.
What make is your sidelock double?

Jason
Last edited by JRD on Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Good going Nath. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Cool 8) I plunked my first goose ever about four years ago in the early resident goose season . Used my maternal grandfathers old circa 1881 W&C Scott hammerless 10 gauge shooting 1 1/4 ounce’s of #1 Bismuth pushed with 30 grains of SR7625 .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Where's your "look"? You have more respect for the geese than you do foxes. :D

Anyway, nice shooting Nath.....I never cared for the taste of geese .....or ducks. The population of geese grows every year around here and are considered pests...but......you better not shoot em out of season! The "man" will come knocking.

There's 40 or 50 that hang around here all year...near everyday.......resident geese that don't know the way south. I took this pic about a month ago -----6

Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I call them flying groundhogs.

We used to shoot a lot of geese off a secluded farm pond. Had loads of fun doing it. Only problem with geese is they are so darned tough. Even tried making baloney with them.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

JRD wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:49 pm That sounds like an enjoyable hunt.
Nice choice of shotgun too.
What make is your sidelock double?

Jason
It's a Ugartachea or something like that! 12g.
Thanks.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:56 pm I call them flying groundhogs.

We used to shoot a lot of geese off a secluded farm pond. Had loads of fun doing it. Only problem with geese is they are so darned tough. Even tried making baloney with them.
Yes they can be tough. Burger and meatloaves are the answer or roast with two cleaned house bricks for nine hours, discard the meat and eat the house bricks!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:43 pm Where's your "look"? You have more respect for the geese than you do foxes. :D

Anyway, nice shooting Nath.....I never cared for the taste of geese .....or ducks. The population of geese grows every year around here and are considered pests...but......you better not shoot em out of season! The "man" will come knocking.

There's 40 or 50 that hang around here all year...near everyday.......resident geese that don't know the way south. I took this pic about a month ago -----6

Canada geese are a pest species here now and have no closed season!
Makes good dog food Six!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I'm envious, I haven't shot any wildfowl in ages. Nice shooting Nath.... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

gamekeeper wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:51 am I'm envious, I haven't shot any wildfowl in ages. Nice shooting Nath.... :D
Shame we are not closer John!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Six those look like Giants. Pretty common on the central flyway and we have an early season that opens before the Tallgrass Prairie flock begins to migrate to try to control their numbers. They do some serious golf course damage and rarely move any further south than the Mo-Ar border lakes. Funny thing is there was a restoration effort for them when I was a youngster as they were endangered at the time. Now they're like rats.

Shot one once at Duck Creek WMA in the January season. It locked it's wings and glided for a couple hundred yards into a nearby patch of woods. We were able to see it crumple just before touching down so I went after it and found it under a log. Ended up being closer to the parking lot so I carried it there. 22-25 pounds doesn't sound Giant until you have to carry it 1/4 mile in waders and heavy clothes. They're beasts!
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Larkbill...I hear ya....these geese are big as the only thing they do is eat grass and pelosi all day. They mostly walk wherever they go...from my little pond to the neighbors pond. Every now and then some yuppie in a foreign car will run one over and I go out and take it for a walk into the woods...yea, heavy they are.-----6
Model A Uzi’s
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

You can twist an ankle on their poop too!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JRD
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JRD »

I’ve only had goose done one way. The way my dad had always made it and we enjoy goose breasts.
Breast out the birds. Slice the breast fillets thinly like you are slicing up a round to make steak sandwiches.
Heat up a frying pan with butter or oil. Throw in sliced peppers and onions. Once vegetables are sautéed, pull them out and lay the slices of goose breast in to sear on each side.

Serve on a bulkie roll with some steak sauce. May not win any culinary awards but it’s how we’ve always enjoyed goose.

There is a resident flock of geese that flies over the football field where I coach every night at dark. As they fly over I will often swing a pointed finger past a bird and imagine crumpling it and then enjoying a steak sandwich.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

JRD wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:18 pm I’ve only had goose done one way. The way my dad had always made it and we enjoy goose breasts.
Breast out the birds. Slice the breast fillets thinly like you are slicing up a round to make steak sandwiches.
Heat up a frying pan with butter or oil. Throw in sliced peppers and onions. Once vegetables are sautéed, pull them out and lay the slices of goose breast in to sear on each side.

Serve on a bulkie roll with some steak sauce. May not win any culinary awards but it’s how we’ve always enjoyed goose.

There is a resident flock of geese that flies over the football field where I coach every night at dark. As they fly over I will often swing a pointed finger past a bird and imagine crumpling it and then enjoying a steak sandwich.
:D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

When I was 12 my folks bought me an Ithica side x side, 410. Dad took me duck hunting and the first thing I killed with it was a Canada goose. Boy was I proud. Ducks and geese need to be cooked more like steak since they are red meat. I really like teal. Like most things though, being hungry helps.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

I used to be quite the waterfowl hunter with my h & r 10 ga.

but then I went into the wastewater treatment business and saw every flight of geese and ducks migrating through stop-over in the raw influent settling lagoon for a two week spa treatment and feast.
m.A.g.a. !
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Well done, brings back some memories, Thanks
It is not the critic who counts
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Nath wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:56 pm Yes they can be tough. Burger and meatloaves are the answer or roast with two cleaned house bricks for nine hours, discard the meat and eat the house bricks!
And THAT'S how we cook the sea ducks he'ah in Maine, ayuh!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

:lol:
Old No7 wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:21 am
Nath wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:56 pm Yes they can be tough. Burger and meatloaves are the answer or roast with two cleaned house bricks for nine hours, discard the meat and eat the house bricks!
And THAT'S how we cook the sea ducks he'ah in Maine, ayuh!

Old No7
:lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

We used to take a teal and put a quarter of an apple and a quarter of an onion in rhe body cavity, wrap it with 3 or 4 strips of bacon, drizzle some soy or worcestershire sauce on it, wrap in foil and bake at 350 degrees F for about an hour. It was good.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost