94AE Loading Gate issue

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tancred
Levergunner

94AE Loading Gate issue

Post by Tancred »

I have a 94AE in 357 Mag. that I love. I am thinking about using it for home defense. But I have one issue. It is very hard to load. The spring in the tube magazine seems to push rounds back toward the loading gate causing it to not open enough for the next round to be inserted. Right now, I have to butt one round against a partially inserted previous round to load, often the previous round will then pop out. If the gate closes on a round it is almost impossible to shove another into the tube. Is there something I can do?

thanks,
Tancred
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 94AE Loading Gate issue

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome to the board, Tancred - pull up a seat & chat fer awhile.

Normally, when a cartridge is inserted into the loading gate, the camming surface on the forward/inside edge of the gate forces any cartridge already in the magazine slightly forward (away from the loading port), so additional shells can be inserted.

Many new guns have manufacturing imperfections (rough edges, machining chips, etc, etc) that need to be smoothed out either by use or some handiwork.

In your case, most likely your issue stems from the loading gate itself - a too-sharp leading edge and/or a less than smooth camming surface on the back side.

The gate is easily smoothed after first removing the barrel bands, forend wood and magazine tube from the gun.

Once those parts are off, a round stone used with oil on the loading gate, working through the now exposed magazine throat in the front receiver wall, will do you some good.

Tancred
Levergunner

Post by Tancred »

Thanks, Pete44ru

I'll try polishing the gate.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Welcome to a great place with good folks and lots of good gun knowledge. Stick around with us, good luck with your rifle.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

The other thing particular to a 94ae in 357 is that it needs a special cartridge control gizmo fitted to the lever. This is due to the width of cartridge head and length.
They break easy with any short stroking of the lever, in other words forcing a cartridge back in the magazine tube!
If the gizmo is broken it hampers loading via the gate.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nath wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:44 pm The other thing particular to a 94ae in 357 is that it needs a special cartridge control gizmo fitted to the lever. This is due to the width of cartridge head and length.
They break easy with any short stroking of the lever, in other words forcing a cartridge back in the magazine tube!

N.

Good point, Nath ! :)

Never having a .357 Model 94, I didn't know about that...…… :oops:

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Pete44ru wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:49 pm
Nath wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:44 pm The other thing particular to a 94ae in 357 is that it needs a special cartridge control gizmo fitted to the lever. This is due to the width of cartridge head and length.

N.

Neither did I until I broke it partially opening the the action :lol:

Our old friend Joe from Texas sent me a replacement.
I often wonder how he is doing.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Tancred
Levergunner

Post by Tancred »

I polished it and there is a big improvement. Much easier. Thanks for the advice.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to THE Forum! An excellent first post, BTW. Glad someone chimed in earlier and got you started toward a fix.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Welcome!
Keep your eyes open for a deal on a Rossi 1892 357. The 94 was made for longer cartridges and has extra parts and parts that are fragile that are prone to fail. The 1892 is designed for 357 length rounds.
I don’t mean to belittle your rifle I really loved the several I’ve owned and hunted and the thousands of rounds down range were all great fun. I had failures on four of the 94s that ended range sessions (lever links and ejectors) and all but one broke that little wire tab on the lever. Once I bought my first 1892 (in 32-20) I was hooked on the design and quickly found a Rossi in 357. I now have no 357 94s and I sent my last repair part across the pond several years ago. Of note about the 92 is that the modern ones need a bit of hand fitting to run as smooth as John Browning designed them to and some have a preference for a round nose bullet. www.stevesgunz.com is a great resource.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Nath wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:06 pm

N.

N.
A couple of his friends are still in contact with me, and they report that he is hanging in there and doing well. He is working and still finding ways to hunt. He gets to see his boys and be involved. It seems that he is resilient.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

piller wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:53 pm
A couple of his friends are still in contact with me, and they report that he is hanging in there and doing well.

He is working and still finding ways to hunt.

He gets to see his boys and be involved. It seems that he is resilient.

Good to hear..... :)

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

N.

N.
A couple of his friends are still in contact with me, and they report that he is hanging in there and doing well. He is working and still finding ways to hunt. He gets to see his boys and be involved. It seems that he is resilient.
Can you pass a message....we think of him often.
Thank you.
N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Nath wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:15 am

N.
Can you pass a message....we think of him often.
Thank you.
N.
I know who can.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost