Waiting waiting !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Waiting waiting !

Post by 6pt-sika »

A friend is bringing a Parker to the shop next Friday (9/28) for my consideration . Price is already decided if it passes my look and see test . Even have a letter on the way from the Parker Collecters Association . There are several things I’m good or decent at , waiting ain’t one of them :roll:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Waiting waiting !

Post by Nath »

Charge the camera up!

N :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I got to fondle a Parker Trap gun this past Sunday.
Also a Winchester 21.both were very nicely dressed with highly figured walnut. The Parker was re case hardened & blued.
I've handled 21's but never a Parker Trap gun. It just about fit me.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:45 pm I got to fondle a Parker Trap gun this past Sunday.
Also a Winchester 21.both were very nicely dressed with highly figured walnut. The Parker was re case hardened & blued.
I've handled 21's but never a Parker Trap gun. It just about fit me.
I was one bid shy of winning a Parker SC trap gun this summer at a local public auction . The 21’s have not been my cup of tea , most I’ve handled have felt kinda bulky . But we had a very nice 16 gauge Model 21 skeet gun in the shop for repair , I tried to buy that one but the guy didn’t want to sell . I’ve had a couple Krieghoff K-32’s as well as a pair of Remington Model 32’s . I’m thinking I need to acquire a couple of each . Also wanna add a decent Browning Superposed Broadway and a 20 gauge Superposed with 3” chambers , I have a pair of Superposed 20’s now but ones a field gun from 1951 and the other is a 1963 skeet gun so neither have 3” chambers . I suppose if I acquire the Parker that’s arriving next week I’ll then start putting away $100 dollar bills for a VH/VHE 28 . And quite possibly a factory Parker 26” EH 10 gauge .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Nath wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:27 pm Charge the camera up!

Sorry but I don’t post pics much anymore since the photobucket fiasco . They souredme on the whole process , so much so that I have no intrest in finding a replacement website to use for posting pictures .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

You are gonna need a lot of Cnotes for a 28!
Check out stevecobbguns.com.
Steve is local shop for me, he deals in mostly doubles. Last time I was at his place he showed me his 410s and his 28. I was drooling!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:36 pm You are gonna need a lot of Cnotes for a 28!
Steve is local shop for me, he deals in mostly doubles. Last time I was at his place he showed me his 410s and his 28. I was drooling!
I’m figuring about 100-150 of them . One dealer from Florida at the Southrrn SxS this spring had no less then FIVE VH/VHE 410’s on his table priced at 30-45G’s :shock:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I suspect if I’m able to find an EH with factory 26” pipes it isn’t gonna be cheap . They supposedly made something like a dozen or so or atleast that’s how many they say in “The Parker Story” but that number is based on what they could find in the remaining company records so I would think “maybe” another 6-12 possibly were made . Actually I’d like an EH with factory 24” barrels but if memory serves the Parker Story shows 5 or 6 of those .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

you might have better luck finding hens teeth!
I really like the Parkers but I dont know all that much about them.
When I was at Steve's shop I looked at 3 different 410s. I knew better than ask prices!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:00 pm you might have better luck finding hens teeth!
I really like the Parkers but I dont know all that much about them.
When I was at Steve's shop I looked at 3 different 410s. I knew better than ask prices!
You may be very correct about finding a EH in 26 or 24 inch thats factory original uncut . My EH with the uncut factory 28" barrel is shown in the Parker Pages as one of the 69 they found when compiling the data for the book , but again there may be another 2 or 3 dozen of them they didn't have the records for .

I turned 57 a couple months back and I've been a student of Parkers for atleast 45 of those years . And I still find details I wasn't aware of almost everyday . I'm just glad I didn't know Parker Brothers marketed steam engines once upon a time or when I had the steam bug I'd have had to have a Parker Brothers steam engine .

While a Parker 410 on the 000 frame would be lovely to have AND shoot I can make do with my Iver Johnson double 410 and Browning Superposed 410 skeet gun . The Parker VH or VHE 28 gauge is an entirely different matter , I NEED one of them before they plant me :lol: :lol: :lol:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

We recently had a Parker 10 gauge Grade 0 lifter slide thru the shop . I'd have been up for that on e except it was a skoosh older then I like . The gun was manufactured in 1876 . Long about 1879-1881 they changed the profile of the receiver . The earlier guns were square from the breech face to the water table in the time period mentioned they radiused the corner . That unto itself is no astronomical improvement you might say but the radius relieved stress in that area or so its perceived . The earlier squared guns had a bad rap truth or fiction to crack there . So for a gun I may shoot a good bit I prefer the radiused breech face to water table .

Not saying I'd have shot that gun an awaful lot but one never knows until they've had a gun awhile . For instance the circa 1891 Parker EH 10 gauge with factory 28" barrels choked cylinder and light modified . I've owned that gun about 7 months and in that time I've shot that gun about 700 times . Mostly at skeet but maybe 50-75 of handloaded buckshot and handloaded slugs .

I hesitate to say I love that gun but I sure as heck enjoy it 8)
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I wanna make a new wall paper for my laptop so this weekend I think I'll see if I can't make a group picture of my three Parker EH guns . 1889 2 frame 30" , 1891 2 frame 28" and an 1899 3 frame 32" . Have a Parker NH 10 gauge circa 1890 3 frame 32" I might try and sneak in the picture as well :wink:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

6pt-sika wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:33 pm
Nath wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:27 pm Charge the camera up!

Sorry but I don’t post pics much anymore since the photobucket fiasco . They souredme on the whole process , so much so that I have no intrest in finding a replacement website to use for posting pictures .
I keep my photos on my I-Mac, super easy re-size, and post them directly to Leverguns.... I don't know why anybody would put their pics anyplace else but on their own equipment... :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

6pt-sika wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:33 pm Sorry but I don’t post pics much anymore since the photobucket fiasco . They souredme on the whole process , so much so that I have no intrest in finding a replacement website to use for posting pictures .
6 Point......I hear ya...on the waiting game. My guess is that after you get a few Parkers of your dreams the anxiety subsides. While I don't have a NIB 1886 40-100-450 full engraved..by Ulrich....gold plated, 36" Buffalo barrel, matted, double set triggers, that was owned by Teddy, I am somewhat fulfilled. Same thing with single action Colts.....maybe its age.....I just don't get excited as much as I used to. Kinda like the bottom of the ninth.

On your pictures.....go to www.postimage.com Its the easiest host site I've ever used...even for half Italians like me.----6
Model A Uzi’s
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:36 pm You are gonna need a lot of Cnotes for a 28!
A friend just called me . He's at the Vintage Cup and was telling me about Steve Cobb's table and the 410 VH he said 33G's .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Tonto wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:32 pm
6pt-sika wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:33 pm Sorry but I don’t post pics much anymore since the photobucket fiasco . They souredme on the whole process , so much so that I have no intrest in finding a replacement website to use for posting pictures .
6 Point......I hear ya...on the waiting game. My guess is that after you get a few Parkers of your dreams the anxiety subsides. While I don't have a NIB 1886 40-100-450 full engraved..by Ulrich....gold plated, 36" Buffalo barrel, matted, double set triggers, that was owned by Teddy, I am somewhat fulfilled. Same thing with single action Colts.....maybe its age.....I just don't get excited as much as I used to. Kinda like the bottom of the ninth.

On your pictures.....go to www.postimage.com Its the easiest host site I've ever used...even for half Italians like me.----6
I dunno my lusting for Parkers may never wear off LOL's ! I have 15 or so now and have been messing with them since I was 10 and I'm 57 now . Most likely I'll never get a 410 Parker and I've kinda gotten past my obsession for an 8 gauge Parker but the 28's , 16's and 10's are gonna be hard not to get excited over ! Nothing against 12's and 20's mind you but I find myself more drawn to the other three gauges :roll:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Steve Cobb has an 8ga! I saw it but I didnt get to SEE it.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:06 pm Steve Cobb has an 8ga! I saw it but I didnt get to SEE it.
I assume Parker ? Not a Smith or Lefever ? I got to fondle two Parker top lever 8 gauge hammer guns at the Southern . Both belonged to friends , but one was for sale . Think he still has it and at a reasonable cost of $7,800 . I assume he has it at the Vintage Cup as we speak .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yup a Parker. When I saw it it was in his rack- it looked so outta place next to his 410s & 28.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:29 pm Yup a Parker. When I saw it it was in his rack- it looked so outta place next to his 410s & 28.
I dunno if its on Leroy Merz website but in Guns International he has listed a pair of Parker GHE guns a 28 that’s 13 3/4” lop and made in the teens and a 410 with a 15” lop that’s an Ilion gun . Love to have them as he ONLY wants I think it was 75G’s for the pair . And yes I’d shoot the heck out of them if I owned them :lol:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Just 75 grand? Heck that's chump change ( if your name is Trump).
At one point a dear friend had 1 of every Parker. When one of the books was being produced most of the pics were his guns. Sadly he is gone now...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I have a conundrum of sorts ! Another VH 16 has come available as well as a Steyr Zepheyr Mannlicher stocked 22 LR . They’re both about the same price , Parker was made in 1928 and the Zepheyr in 1967 . And it almost goes without saying I’ve wanted a Zepheyr for almost 50 years . Had two friends that are no longer with us that had Zepheyrs one had a single trigger and the other guy had double set on his rifle . The one that’s become available is double set as well . Would match my four Mannlicher Schoenauer carbines very well .
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

remind me to never visit your shop

:D
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Marlin32 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:38 pm remind me to never visit your shop

:D
No worries , the stuff I mention won’t be there for sale . :wink:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hmm, this is a head scratcher...
On one hand you have Parker's...
On the other a Zephyer doesnt show up all too often...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Back in 1952 my Father bought a Browning Auto-5 for $85 or thereabouts at the BX in Giebelstaadt. He still has the original receipt. He could have purchased a Superposed while over there. He didn't, and he still regrets it. He knows he could have just kept it in the box and never used it while using the Auto-5 for all his next 50 years of hunting birds. By the time he could have used the money, the Superposed had increased in value significantly. Probably not as dramatically as a Parker, but it was quite an increase.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:47 pm Hmm, this is a head scratcher...
On one hand you have Parker's...
On the other a Zephyer doesnt show up all too often...
In almost fifty years of messing with guns I can count on one hand the number of Steyr Zepheyrs I’ve had in my hands . This second Parker VH 16 is on a #1 frame with 28” pipes , the one I expect to buy Friday is on I think an 0 frame and it has 26” barrels which letter to it . Well they both match up in the serialization book .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:39 pm Just 75 grand? Heck that's chump change ( if your name is Trump).
At one point a dear friend had 1 of every Parker. When one of the books was being produced most of the pics were his guns. Sadly he is gone now...
Well when I think back about the VHE 410 I saw at the Southern in the 30-45G range and then most of the VHE 28’s I’ve seen have been 12G’s + . Then take into consideration GHE’s in those gauges in great shape will most likely add 20% to the price so Lets say you pay 55G’s for a nice VHE pair GHE in the same condition might be close to 67-68G’s and I’m sure the 75G price is negotiable :wink:
Sure
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

piller wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:54 pm Back in 1952 my Father bought a Browning Auto-5 for $85 or thereabouts at the BX in Giebelstaadt. He still has the original receipt. He could have purchased a Superposed while over there. He didn't, and he still regrets it. He knows he could have just kept it in the box and never used it while using the Auto-5 for all his next 50 years of hunting birds. By the time he could have used the money, the Superposed had increased in value significantly. Probably not as dramatically as a Parker, but it was quite an increase.
At that time in the PX I expect he could have bought a 12 or 20 Superposed for a few dollars less then $200 . I’ve picked up several Superposed for myself over the last ten years at pretty cheap prices except for my 28 and 410 . I’d still like a Superposed trap gun , a 3” 20 gauge and one of the pre war 12’s with double triggers .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

6pt-sika wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:07 pm
GunnyMack wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:39 pm Just 75 grand? Heck that's chump change ( if your name is Trump).
Well when I think back about the VHE 410 I saw at the Southern in the 30-45G range and then most of the VHE 28’s I’ve seen have been 12G’s + . Then take into consideration GHE’s in those gauges in great shape will most likely add 20% to the price so Lets say you pay 55G’s for a nice VHE pair GHE in the same condition might be close to 67-68G’s and I’m sure the 75G price is negotiable :wink:
Now with that being said a pair of VHE’s is way out of my pay grade :roll:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Still waiting for the Parker to show up this Friday . But I did receive the Parker letter in the mail over the weekend . Gun was built in 1936 and shipped to a dealer in NYC in 1937 . Barrels etc are what I was told by the seller . However with 26" barrels I was expecting an 0 frame gun and it turns out the gun is frame size 1 1/2 . Kinda heavy for a 16 gauge especially when it comes with 26" barrels and open chokes . A 1 1/2 frame would seem more natural with 30 or 32 inch barrels for waterfowl rather than an upland/skeet gun . Anyway let it get here Friday and "if" I take it I'll find out October 2nd how it handles on the skeet field .
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Air Force called it Base Exchange or BX back then.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I think the solution is to buy all of them. Then you wont regret whichever you didn't buy.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Once upon a time, I as fortunate to buy an Ilion Parker 16ga VHE Skeet Gun in 99+% condition, from an LGS that didn't know anything except it was a Parker, for $800 - proving once again that knowledge is everything. ;)

(Actually, I swapped a pristine .410 Browning Model 42 Deluxe pumpgun straight up for it)

The Parker had 99-100% case colors on the frame, skeet-in/skeet-out (marked) chokes, the Miller trigger, beavertail FE, ejectors, and a straight-grip buttstock to a checkered butt - which I think was every factory option excepting a raised rib.

A Parker specialist/dealer I knew bought it from me for chump change ($20K), but I know he later had it tagged @ $45K.

When I turn a gun like that over, my frame of mind is that everybody's entitled to their bite of the apple. 8)

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

marlinman93 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:10 am I think the solution is to buy all of them. Then you wont regret whichever you didn't buy.
I agree 100% , however I'm about to take a trip to the Philippines in two weeks and I don't wanna deplete all my extra funds :|

The Parker 16 gauge on the #1 frame got away from me and I'm thinking the Steyr Zephyer will as well .

But the Parker thats coming to see me friday is on a 1 1/2 frame while not my first choice I've "been told" that a 16 gauge on a 1 1/2 frame is a relatively rare bird . Since it's considered a heavier frame size for a 16 gauge it having factory lettered 26" barrels makes it a skoosh more .

I still want a GH 16 gauge on an 0 frame with 26" or 28" barrels .

I'm about 102% sure I'll purchase the one coming to see me friday .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Pete44ru wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:43 am .

Once upon a time, I as fortunate to buy an Ilion Parker 16ga VHE Skeet Gun in 99+% condition, from an LGS that didn't know anything except it was a Parker, for $800 - proving once again that knowledge is everything. ;)

(Actually, I swapped a pristine .410 Browning Model 42 Deluxe pumpgun straight up for it)

The Parker had 99-100% case colors on the frame, skeet-in/skeet-out (marked) chokes, the Miller trigger, beavertail FE, ejectors, and a straight-grip buttstock to a checkered butt - which I think was every factory option excepting a raised rib.

A Parker specialist/dealer I knew bought it from me for chump change ($20K), but I know he later had it tagged @ $45K.

When I turn a gun like that over, my frame of mind is that everybody's entitled to their bite of the apple. 8)

The number of so called Parker skeet guns far exceeds the number that are noted in the factory records and by no means am I saying the one you had was incorrect . I'm more making reference to all the guns DelGrego got their hands on after the fact and turned them into "so called" skeet guns . Again by no means am I questioning the correctness of the gun you had , but now I am very very skeptical of buying a Parker skeet gun unless I have a copy of the what was in the order/record books .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Incidently if this 1 1/2 frame 16 follows me home Friday I already have a flat of factory 16's sitting in the back seat of the truck for a stop by the gun club and several rounds of skeet . Also just finished loading some #0 Buckshot , #1 Buckshot and some home cast copies of the Rooskie knockoff of the Lyman Sabot slug changed for the 16 gauge . Loaded some with Unique and some with SR7625 .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well let’s see in anticipation of the 1 1/2 frame 16 I passed on a nice 1 frame 16 and a Steyr Zepheyr . The Parker arrived today and in fact was not a 1 1/2 frame as the letter stated but rather a 1 frame but not a problem . Someone had removed the buttplate and added a recoil pad but thankfully hadn’t cut the stock . I paid for the gun and the fellow that brought sat and talked a bit . While talking I took the gun apart for about fourth time and he said what’s that on the underside the barrels . Turns out the mid rib was loose about six inches . So I got my money back :(
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well that sucks- thankfully you found the loose rib as he was sitting there!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:39 pm Well that sucks- thankfully you found the loose rib as he was sitting there!
He saw it and pointed it out to me !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Nice the guy was honest, he could have just as easily kept his trap shut about it and let you find it out for yourself.

There is an easy trick for checking ribs.

1. Remove forearm
2. Remove barrels from receiver
3 support barrels from the forearm hook or pivot point. Use screwdriver, steel rod even fingers
4. Tap muzzle lightly with screwdriver handle to 'RING' ( Tap the barrels).Tight ribs will sound "in tune" loose ribs will not.

This needs to be done so the barrels can vibrate .
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:50 am Nice the guy was honest, he could have just as easily kept his trap shut about it and let you find it out for yourself.

There is an easy trick for checking ribs.

1. Remove forearm
2. Remove barrels from receiver
3 support barrels from the forearm hook or pivot point. Use screwdriver, steel rod even fingers
4. Tap muzzle lightly with screwdriver handle to 'RING' ( Tap the barrels).Tight ribs will sound "in tune" loose ribs will not.

This needs to be done so the barrels can vibrate .
Thanks for the info . But I’m well aware , I just hadn’t bothered to tap the barrels up to that point .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I hear ya 6pt, I can understand the excitement of getting to see a new gun with your fingers for the first time.
It's a shame that 16 was damaged. Makes me wonder if it was bulged and or shot with an obstruction at some point...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!