Eye Surgery

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Eye Surgery

Post by mikld »

I've been wearing glasses since I was 14 and for the last 15 years have been wearing tri-focals. For my shooting I have adapted with receiver sights, peep sights, red dot, and scopes. I am scheduled to have cataract surgery next month and wondering if any members have experienced the surgery and how it affected sight picture? I asked my Dr. and was told it will be hard to predict the outcome for vision for shooting, but overall vision will improve (I have opted for distance vision implants with possible need gr "readers"). Anyone have cataracts removed and improved shooting/sight picture results?
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
JHarold
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Eye Surgery

Post by JHarold »

I just had both eyes done. same as you I opted for distance lens. I shoot a rossi 357, Marlin 39A both with peep sights.
before surgery the front sights were just a blur. after surgery they are crystal clear. I just had my final exam last Monday so
I have not got to the range as of yet. surgery was a piece of cake. where I had mine done the drops were all in one.
some still use the three different bottles of drops. that can be a pain keeping track of them. my vision is now 25/20.
I am 80 years old, at least for a couple more months.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Both eyes with good results several years ago.
Same results for my wife. No longer needs glasses to read. Shoots pistol better than ever!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Mike, FYI - This has been discussed several times before, here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69493&p=802859&hili ... ry#p802859

Fear not - I had both eyes done, and can still use peepsights for hunting.

You will be amazed at the new clarity of vision - so say nothing about the vibrant colors you've been missing all these years (the natural lenses yellow over the years, diluting the colors around you - but you don't realize it until the surgery's complete).

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

In 2007 I had my "bad" (20/400) eye done at Rush Medical in Chicago.

I had "Intralase" "no knife" lasik.

My vision went from 20/400 to around 20/10. It eventually settled to 20/40 which is the same as my "good" (but uncorrectable) eye.

So I still have to wear bifocals (lasik doesn't cure old), but I can at least not have to order lenses from one of the three specialty grinders available to the world public...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I had the right eye done in late April, the left in early May -- both for distance. I ended up with 20/20 in the left, 20/25 in the right -- and now need glasses to read. But I can do all right with both a peep sight and open sights on a revolver without the glasses, as the front sight on the rifle and the revolver sights at arms length are in the zone of focus. Unlike so many who have this procedure, I have had some "wrinkles." The first was swelling at the rear of my right eye, dead center. Just when I thought things had settled down, I began to lose focus in my right eye. It's an unusual but not unknown complication that was quickly resolved with steroid drops. The other wrinkle was "bleary" eyes and extreme photosensitivity. Seemed like I'd be up and about and all of a sudden my eyes felt like they were coated with glue --- and I just about needed sunglasses even in the house. This has slowly improved, but it still comes and goes. Kind of awkward though, to look like you're either on drugs or have hepatitis. "Sustane" brand eye drops help. I never go anywhere without sunglasses handy.
Wish you a trouble-free recovery.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Didn't mean to resurrect an old, tired subject, but I've not had much luck with "search functions" on forums...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have had 20/400 vision since 3 or 4 years of age. Some day I may try LASIK, but I wouldn't understand what it is to see 20/20. As far as seeing patients come in with eye correction surgery meds, they seldom have issues.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

You will be amazed at the new clarity of vision - so say nothing about the vibrant colors you've been missing all these years (the natural lenses yellow over the years, diluting the colors around you - but you don't realize it until the surgery's complete).

I had the cataracts replaced two years ago, it simple is amazing.

I no longer need glasses except to read in poor light, outside it's not a problem.

Cheers Mark
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

piller wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:13 pm I have had 20/400 vision since 3 or 4 years of age. Some day I may try LASIK, but I wouldn't understand what it is to see 20/20. As far as seeing patients come in with eye correction surgery meds, they seldom have issues.
Yes you would. You just would have a hard time understanding doing it without coke bottles on your face.

I had 20/400 (gross and fine) x 20/40 (gross only) from birth. Well, actually it was worse because of the dramatic strabismus in my strong eye (but 20/400) eye and the coloboma in my weak (but 20/40) eye that makes it mechanically dyslexic.

Anyway, yes, getting used to not wearing frames can be a challenge, but given that LASIK can't fix "old", you will probably still need, at the very least, Readers, you could get much, much cheaper glasses to put on your face than the -10/+2 bifocals you are wearing now...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!