The Eye is Approaching

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

The Eye is Approaching

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I posted this on a reply before, but thought you all might be interested. An updated "report from the ground" here in upstate South Carolina:

Winds are gusting now, some very strong. But no rain yet. The wind has already knocked down limbs, which have taken down some power lines. Sporadic power outages in the Charlotte-metro area already with more expected. Some power outages in my small town, but so far, knock on wood, I still have power. We're only getting the leading edges of the outer bands at the moment, but it is heading straight at us. Over 600,000 people in NC are already without power, obviously more the further east you go. SC has over 100,000 without power and climbing.

Biggest concern is flooding. The summer has been wet and the ground in many places is already saturated. Some areas will get months of rain in hours. Erosion and mud slides are expected, though in this area, the topography is relatively flat (except my back yard, which may wash away into the creek!). Flash flooding of low-lying areas is a high probability. The hurricane is crawling at this point, ranging from 3-5mph as it slowly moves westward. Unfortunately that means it sits over an area a very long time, increasing the amount of rain the area is going to get hit with throughout the period of the storm. Greater Charlotte area still calling for 8”+ of rain. Worst case scenario, 20"!

We're prepared as much as possible. Striving to keep the powder dry! :wink:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Eye is Approaching

Post by 2ndovc »

Hang in there, Jay!

My aunt lives in Asheville. She's been through a few and isn't worried yet but I keep checking in on her.

We'll be thinking about you and everyone down there.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Stay safe, prayers sent.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thanks guys.

Still no rain. Supposed to start overnight. I moved my wife's car into the garage after dinner. Shortly thereafter my next-door neighbor lost part of her picket fence. Already a ton of limbs down in my yard. Going to be a hum-dinger! :D

Lot more power outages around me. It's only a matter of time! :shock:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Once you make sure you're supplies are stowed away, hunker down, snuggle with the wife, and enjoy the show...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

Very nice gesture Doc. but the travel would make it a seriously hazardous trip. Did the wife agree to all the snuggling? Bless her.

Frank
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Hope your saw chains are sharp, Jay. Stay safe.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks Jay.....it's nice to hear "on the spot" reporting from someone I can believe as the weather reports here are as good as they were 40 years ago. We get so much "hype" up here from the Philly news. They get all excited and give hourly updates, especially snowstorms.....
"Oh boy guys, were gonna get 20"". and maybe 6" falls or about the same the weather gal got that night.

I called my buddy Gunny on Wednesday as he lives near the Marine base and is only five miles from the coast. When he answered the phone, he told me him, his family, the dogs and his new $60K fifth wheel camper are in Nashville. :D yea, those Marines are always prepared.----6
Model A Uzi’s
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

live here in southern md. according to hurricane tracker on weather channel. it will circumnavigate the cheasapeake bay and head north along the coast. will find out monday . I feel for all that have lost family, friends and property to the storm. :cry:
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Stay safe Jay, prayers sent.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

Stay safe brother.

Basically it's bush fires I fear down here.

I am sure your are taking every precaution.

Mark
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Be safe.... :)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

We have a grandson and his family in the Raleigh N.C. area. Last nite late they were without power but no other problem. His house is on a pretty good hill.
.C.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I'm doing good here. I'm about 20 miles east of Raleigh. Florence is a slow mover though. The back end is still pushing rain from the ocean up this way.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

hope all is well....
I been through....I guess around 20+ hurricanes....since the late 79
a few direct hits...some not so bad...and we have been very lucky...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
PatientWolf
Levergunner

Post by PatientWolf »

Hope you all stay safe.

In Raleigh we only experienced a 3 hour power outage plus a separate 1 hour internat outage (much to my daughter's disappointment).

We got a fair amount of rain, but my yard was like a desert so it absorbed a very small potion of it.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Well boys, I just found out where my grandson lives. My wife said he lives in Garner a little south of Raleigh. Hope ya'll are making it ok. Anyone know where Tycer is??
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Prayers up for all you South Carolinians.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Steelbanger wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:44 pm Very nice gesture Doc. but the travel would make it a seriously hazardous trip. Did the wife agree to all the snuggling? Bless her.

Frank
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sixgun wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:05 pm Thanks Jay.....it's nice to hear "on the spot" reporting from someone I can believe as the weather reports here are as good as they were 40 years ago. We get so much "hype" up here from the Philly news. They get all excited and give hourly updates, especially snowstorms.....
"Oh boy guys, were gonna get 20"". and maybe 6" falls or about the same the weather gal got that night.

I called my buddy Gunny on Wednesday as he lives near the Marine base and is only five miles from the coast. When he answered the phone, he told me him, his family, the dogs and his new $60K fifth wheel camper are in Nashville. :D yea, those Marines are always prepared.----6
It was largely a nothing-burger here. It's been raining steadily since Saturday early, sometimes heavy, but really just constant. Wind has done some damage but all in all, nothing like the hype from the news. Which is typical. They went into full-blown apocalypse-mode in the reporting. Granted, there are plenty of areas hit much harder - REAL damage - but largely at the coastlines. They were all talking like this was "Hurricane Hugo II", and Charlotte would get smashed. Didn't happen.

Thanks for all the prayers fellas! :D
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

There are almost twice the fatalities in NC than SC from this storm. I 40 is closed from Benson to Wilmington. I 95 is closed from about Smithfield to the SC border. It's still raining and the major rivers are still rising. This is a major catastrophic weather event. Luckily the winds slowed before landfall but the rain has been relentless, much more to the south and east of me.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I not trying to downplay those that were directly impacted. Several trees toppled in my area, crushing homes. Thank Goodness no one was hurt. Lots without power, and the water is still rising. That said, the way the media was playing it, both states should have expected to the LEVELED by the wind, then drowned by unprecedented rain. That didn't happen through most of both states.

Probably doesn't make those who lost their homes feel any better - for them it was surely a disaster. Just saying on the news reporting... it never changes. Always the worst-case, and if it bleeds, it leads...
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

My son lives in Stallings. They have not had any issues outside of a couple of 30 second power outages. A little creek beside them got pretty full but never left it's banks.
The Lord Bless You

Terry
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

The skies finally cleared today here. I've never seen a storm move so slowly. Hope everyone stays safe as everything drains and the cleanup starts.