The Backstory on N.M. Bear Attack This Summer

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

The Backstory on N.M. Bear Attack This Summer

Post by Pete44ru »

A New Mexico guide, near the Colorado border, July 25, 2018.

Quite a read: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/ ... mm-pistol/

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Backstory on N.M. Bear Attack This Summer

Post by JerryB »

That is an excellent article of what a man can do when he has to. My mistake was reading the replies. It is hard to believe there is that many armchair Idiots still alive and breathing our good air.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

JerryB wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:23 pm ... what a man can do when he has to...
This.

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

JerryB wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:23 pm That is an excellent article of what a man can do when he has to. My mistake was reading the replies. It is hard to believe there is that many armchair Idiots still alive and breathing our good air.
Mostly stupid stuff in comments, but the one about "dogs knew they didn't have to outrun the bear, just outrun the bear hunter" was pretty good.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I would be shocked if more than 1 of those armchair commandos commenting on that article could have stayed alive in that situation. That guide had the presence of mind to clear a jam while the 400 pound bear was making a concerted effort to dismember him. I cannot blame the dogs for running, but it might be time to add a fighting dog into the pack.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I always regret reading comments, as they rarely are worth the time it took to read them, and serve to remind me how stupid people can be. I doubt anyone making those comments would even be around to tell their story if they were in his shoes.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

marlinman93 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:58 am I always regret reading comments, as they rarely are worth the time it took to read them, and serve to remind me how stupid people can be. I doubt anyone making those comments would even be around to tell their story if they were in his shoes.
I would like to put most of those who put the troll comments out on a Mesa with a bear like that one. Let them see what goes through their mind when a bear such as that one attacks. I know what would go through their colon, and for the negative commenters, that is where their intelligence is located.

That is one man to ride the river with. He made do with what he had even though it wasn't meant for the situation he found himself in. He kept thinking even in a situation which would cause panic in an overwhelming majority of us. He refused to give up. Based on the standards set by those whom I knew when growing up, he is a man.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"Based on the standards set by those whom I knew when growing up, he is a man."

Yep.....standards have slipped a bit in some circles (academia, most corporate boardrooms, public officeholders, pop-culture, to name a few.... :| ).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:40 pm"Based on the standards set by those whom I knew when growing up, he is a man."
Yep.....standards have slipped a bit in some circles (academia, most corporate boardrooms, public officeholders, pop-culture, to name a few.... :| ).
+1.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Like most normal people, the man in this story is surely thinking he'd do some things differently afterwards. But I'm sure we've all done something at some time in our life that didn't turn out as we hoped, and maybe got hurt, or cost us financially. The difference is what you do when your less than perfect decision went astray. That's what determines what type of guy you are, and whether you survive the incident or not. In this case he did everything right, and his actions resulted in him being around to tell the tale for our benefit.
Those who would judge his decision, and resulting actions are armchair quarterbacks who have the benefit of looking at the whole thing later, and bragging of how they'd handle themselves, or which gun they'd have chosen ahead of time. Pretty easy to sit in the warm cozy easy chair, and talk about what they'd have done, when in reality they'd likely soil themselves and end up as dinner.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"The difference is what you do when your less than perfect decision went astray. "

Yep

a) Accept consequences and deal with them, Analyze, Develop better contingency plan, Implement it, Improve, Go back to worshiping your God, raising your Family, and helping your Community.

b) Find someone else to blame, Extract money from them or destroy them, Keep doing same stupid thing, Repeat, Write a book, Go on Talk-show circuit.

How to decide which path...???

If you're a 'progressssssive' liberal Democrap, - choose "b"

If you're a real, fully-actualized, responsible, intelligent, honest person - choose "a"
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Those who chose B would probably take the bear to court. Or more likely their heirs would take the bear to court.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Read the story and all the guys talking big afterward.Like someone's first day in combat no matter how tough you think you are nobody knows how they will act in a dangerous situation until it happens.This guy kept his cool a lot longer than most would of in my opinion.
I probably would of handled it different though, first I would of crapped myself then I would of probably become bear poo
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Barbarossa that is the most sensical statement in this whole thing. The reason they call stuff accident is because it wasn’t planned to happen. He found himself in a life and death struggle with a predator HIGHER on the food chain than himself, and you notice we are hearing his version of the events not the bears! Well done sir. My hat is off to you. I lived a number of years in semi bear country, all of Montana is at least semi bear country. I picked baby’s breath as a way to make some money did I always have a big bore handgun on uh noo. He is a cowboy and cowboys make do and get it done. God bless and heal well.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.