Receiver sights

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Receiver sights

Post by GunnyMack »

So now I'm on a kick to resurrect this Winchester 60A. It has half of a receiver sight, Lyman 55RRS. It has also been D&T for a side mount.
Does anyone know of a source for receiver sights and or parts so I can get this little rifle shooting again?
I'm missing something here...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GunnyMack on Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Receiver sights

Post by crs »

Did you contact Lyman? They have a web site.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

There's a 55A receiver sight on E-Bay @ $30: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lyman-Model-Ma ... Sw6gRbltjH

I would think that you could buy the sight, chuck the base & slip the upper portion into the Lyman 55RRS base - and live happily ever after.... ;)

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:49 am So now I'm on a kick to resurrect this Winchester 60A. It has half of a receiver sight, Lyman 55RRS. It has also been D&T for a side mount.
Does anyone know of a source for receiver sights and or parts so I can get this little rifle shooting again?
I'm missing something here...
Gunny,

I'd call Lyman on the phone and talk with a people. I've had much better luck that way than trying to email them.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I looked at Lyman website this morning, also thought about buying another sight and swapping or taking parts to make a complete sight.

Guess I was looking to see if anybody here knew of some old guy that has hundreds of sights sitting in his basement just looking for a home.

I'll get in touch with Lyman and see what I can come up with.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I know a guy like that...but he is going to a sillywhet shoot today. PM MR Sixgun. Also a great place to find stuff like that is the Oaks PA gun show next month LOTS of vendors with LOTS of stuff.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I already spoke with Six about the Oaks show, I'm not sure if I can make it yet, I might be working a pheasant tower shoot and he has 2 matches that weekend.

I didnt even think to ask him about a sight.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I was given a Win. 75 a few years ago that had been stored in a damp basement. The case it was in had rotted through and the Lyman peep, trigger guard and butt plate were pretty much dust. I pulled the barreled action out of the stock and sent it off to a cousin that is a gunsmith for Beretta. He was able to save the bolt handle that was badly rusted, cleaned it up and reblued it. The bore was perfect, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with it. I bagged an old sight on Gunbroker, and a new stock with all the hardware on Gunauction. com while he had it. While nowhere near a collectible, it's a great shooter and one of my favorite .22s. I think I spent about $150 on the sight and stock. Ended up getting $50 for the original stock. The replacement has US markings on it. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

A good friend relocated to CO about 5 years ago. Before he left he gave me a couple boxes of oddball stuff.
A Savage 311 .22 hornet. Needed a couple small parts, good shooter now! This 60A, H&R .32s&w 5 shooter, h&r top break 9 shot .22, needs grips and all sorts of other stuff including all kinds of obsolete ammo, wads, hulls, primers, shot.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Funny,
Just got back from the gunclub....I'm now dropping Obama off at the pool, then I have to empty the Jeep, take it all downstairs, clean and organize my gear, get the brass in the vibrator, feed the horse, make notes in my log, confer with Mom on the days activities, get a bite to eat, take my monthly shower, maybe drop off Chuck Schumer at the pool, and 17 other things......whew! They said I'd have all the time in the world after retirement.

Look on the sight for any codes that are stamped on there and I'll check it out in a couple of hours.

Arrrrgggghhh......Obama is giving me a hard time to come out of hiding.

And NO, I was not "da man" at the club today.....got an old fashioned whoop in'....well, not too bad. Did good but not good enough.---6
Model A Uzi’s
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun, with the 'Obama' and 'Schumer' comments, I can tell you are suffering terribly....might I recommend a laxative (or purgative) to rid you of those demons....!
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

It is stamped
LYMAN
55RWS

I sure hope you wash your hands after your obama so you dont contaminate all your fine gun parts!

Oh did your goodie bag arrive?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Gunny,
Can't help ya bid.....according to my book, the Lyman 55W was made for your gun and was most likely d&t from the factory for this sight. Someone made something else fit it.

Only thing I can say is for you to haunt EBay.

Did not check the post office as I was at the club today.....we don't have mailboxes here and if we could I would not for fear of good stuff left out in the rain or stolen.

Oh boy, finally got Obama out...had to go outside and get a stick and poke around.....found out Nancy Pelosi was "hugging" him.----6

Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Six, thanks for looking , I appreciate your effort in both looking for the sight AND getting rid of bad politicians!

This receiver has been D&T for a side mount, (I don't have it) I'm thinking whoever decided to scope it took the sight apart and did who knows what with it.

I'll look around for a sight. If all else fails I'll D& T for a weaver mount or I'll cut a dovetail and put on a rear with elevator.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thank you for the thank you. The problem with finding original parts for old mass produced guns is that the part/sights sometimes cost as much as the gun is worth.

Years ago in my non thinking days I bought a bolt action (cheaply) Marlin .22 single shot for $5 at an auction that was missing the bolt. Man! Was I excited. Wrote a letter to Numrich Arms for a bolt and they responded, "sure, we have one, it's $xx?x dollars plus $10 shipping. I bought it and 5 years later sold it at a loss.-----6
Model A Uzi’s