25-20 pet loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

25-20 pet loads

Post by GunnyMack »

With all the recent rain I went on a quest to clean the basement, all tools put away, reloading benches cleaned , reorganized my loading benches. I found a bunch of cast bullets I poured years ago for my 25-20 Savage. I never worked up a load for these.
Do any of you have a particular load you like? These are supposed to be 60 grain plus GC.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 25-20 pet loads

Post by GunnyMack »

Correction - my mould is throwing .260 and 68+/- with the mix I used( the melted 8mm that were supposed to be .338 that I bought). Right at 70 grains with lube and GC.

Neither of the 2 manuals I have that list 25-20 show cast bullets.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My Martini really likes the 70 gr LRNGC bullets from grandpa's Cramer mold sized at .259 and 4.2 grains of Unique. Those will shoot under an inch at 50yds. Shooting a 75 gr Sierra with 10.5 grains of IMR 4198 shoots just a little bigger at 1 1/4" or so.

I have a 100 gr Cramer mold that he used mostly for his .257 Roberts and .250 Savage that I haven't tried in the .25-20 yes since the others shoot so well, but might try it eventually.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Sixgun has one he likes. Accurate #5 IIRC
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I figured Six would have chimed in by now...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Nah, he’s busy ciphering on how much he thinks he can get out of me for the two rifles I want(he’s probably right too). Hey Jay can I borrow the buffalo coat?
Six recommended a 25wcf load to me but I ain’t home right now to tell ya what it was.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:30 pm I figured Six would have chimed in by now...
Been busy Gunny.......I'm testing out a new diet which I talked about on Pitchy's post. It's called the "seafood diet"..........

......I see food, I eat it.

Anyway, the 25-20.....my new load for that, from a Winchester Model 53 and a Remington pump Model 25 is the 69 gr. Lyman g.c. sized 259 with 4.5 of Winchester WSF...this has a burn rate just a hair slower than Unique, about equal to Herco, my next favorite powder. Your .260 dia.will be fine and maybe beneficial......I like the largest bullet a chamber will take.

Like Jason I too like Unique at 4.5 gr. ....or 4.5 of WSF or Herco. The most accurate load has been 9 of 4227 but it's position sensitive, especially in cold weather.

Use whatever powder you like and keep a 1300-1450 velocity goal with cast bullets. Anything faster will still be fine but the 25-20 is known for flyers at fast speeds and cast bullets.At least it is with me and a half dozen 25-20's

If you REALLY want to see what a 25-20 will do is go get some 70 gr. Speer flat points and crank her up with top loads using 4227 or 2400.....Position sensitivity seems to go away with jacketed bullets and the slower powders....I won 1st place at the Pa. Regionals with that load a few years back.

A Marlin I have loves Remington 86 gr. Jacketed and ....can't remember the weight.......a top load of 2400. Those bullets are getting hard to find...I'm down to several hundred.

If worst comes to worst, just dump in 3 grains of Bullseye with any bullet. I'm going to bed...big match tomorrow at the gunclub....long range half scale silhouettes....got the police sniper Remington 700 in 308 all ready to go.----6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Funny you say Herco, while I was cleaning I found a pound, the old cardboard can, it smells like powder, I'll pour a little off and see if it still burns before I try loading it.

I used to use 680 and then 1680 for my jacketed loads. Since I have a Savage I have loads for up to 85 Nosler BT's.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hmmm I dunno if I like the idea of shooting my pets with anything much less a 25-20 😂😂😂
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Many Moons ago I knew a butcher that swore by his 25-20 for dispatching steers,sheep & hogs. Said he had too many animals shrug off a 22 mag.
Shh, I've used it for deer- worked just fine. And if i remember right at one point a world record deer was shot with a 25-20.
No i sure wouldn't use it on pets!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!