Over weight !!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Over weight !!!!

Post by Pitchy »

Stepped on the scale after a shower this morning and the needle went right past the zero and stopped on ten :shock:
310 pounds, holy moly oly i better start building a wood box in over size. :lol:
No wonder when i turn over in bed Norma bounces out the other side. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Over weight !!!!

Post by Pete44ru »

Pitchy, if you look at the medical weight/height charts, you'll see that you're not overweight - you're just short for your weight ! :wink:

According to the charts, (like me) you should be 10' tall. . :mrgreen:

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I am over too but when my Mrs turns over I go flying :|
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Must be something to do with Norma's cooking, well you gotta blame someone...…. :?
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I wanted to lose 50 pounds this year....I've managed 30 so far. I started at about 295 butt naked. I was 180 when I retired from the Army in '92 but I think 220 will be just fine next year sometime. Already my back and knees feel better and I can see my shoes again :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Naaa...your alright Pitchy.......that's your business......if nosey people have anything to say, just tell them your pregnant with a baby elephant and the trunk is already sticking out......then show them that trunk....shake it at them......they won't bother ya anymore.

We learn pretty fast here in the East.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks fellars, i gotta get on some kind of activity maybe some snow shoeing this winter.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Funny, I was just thinking about snowshoeing the other day. I could use some of that myself, buddy.
I will say, I like the "short for my weight" idea. Gonna remember that one. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Get a bicycle Pitchy! They're easier on our old knees than waking or running. I can't do either, but I can ride my bike and get some leg work without putting more wear and tear on my joints.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Sixgun wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:54 am Naaa...your alright Pitchy.......that's your business......if nosey people have anything to say, just tell them your pregnant with a baby elephant and the trunk is already sticking out......then show that trunk....shake it at them......they won't bother ya anymore.

We learn pretty fast here in the East.----6
:lol: :lol: :lol: gotta try that....
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Losing weight is like quitting drinking.....a lifestyle change.......which most of us are not willing to do until the pelosi hits the fan......heart attack.......cirrhosis of the liver...

Losing weight means "the fun is over"......I must now eat healthy along with daily exercise....day after day...year after year.....blah....blah....screw that pelosi....

My two children are both very health conscience...watch everything they eat...stay active...belong to gyms.....blah...blah....

Me and mom???? Party on baby!!!!!!!------6
Model A Uzi’s
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Wish I could drop 10 around the middle. Vall's advice about a bike or even a stationary bike is spot on. The only thing easier on the joints is a pool. Come to think of it, a pool -- that would also allow the enjoyment of small, steam-driven watercraft ... 8) :lol:
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

We have some nice bicycles and a paved bike trail on the old RR grades but as you know my prostate has been giving me fits and those little bike seats , well you know. :lol:
Six i`m kinda with you heck with it, the giants will be on earth again soon and they like eating people so ya better give me that BAR. :lol:
Bill i`m not a swimmer but putting steam boats in a pool would be fun. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Pitchy, if you want to cycle, there are companies out there that make seats that looks like a handle bar with a sling between the ends. It makes it so you can sit on a flat soft bench like seat.
After having my shoulder replaced I was off work for 6 months. I ballooned up to 417 lbs. 2/15 I went back to work. Today when I got on the scales I was 342. All I've been doing is cutting the calories. It hasn't been easy but I'm not done yet. 1500 calories a day seems to be my magic cut off point. Less than that I can lose weight. Over that and here it comes again.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am down to 190 from 260 about 18 months ago. My knees are thankful. In the army I was 220 and could see every rib. Infantry didn't give me much chance to have any fat. My arms are about half as big around now as they were then. Lots of bicycle riding, cutting calories, and drinking more water. It isn't fun at the start.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I just removed the big fat seat off one of my bikes Pitchy. It was just too comfy, and too easy to sit down and cruise along. I ride a mountain bike mostly, but also have a single speed bike. The single speed gives me more exercise, but it had that plush seat, so away it went and a firm leather formed seat replaced it. I just finished doing an upgrade to the old single speed and removed the ridged front forks and replaced with retro Schwinn style springer forks. Changed the handlebars from high bars to standard height aluminum bars. It's a lot more fun to ride, and fits me better now. Nothing like the mountain bike, as the old cruiser turns huge radius, while the mountain bike turns very tight. But I ride the bike paths and don't need a tight radius turning bike anyway.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well boys, I just rode my bike 150 miles and I ain't tired at all! :D
Joking aside, I usually slim down a little over the summer, but this summer I haven't. I could stand to shave 10-15 pounds off. I don't want to get behind cause there ain't no way I can eat like a rabbit. Only way I can exercise is outdoor activities.
I think all the bacon and taco Tuesday's are pulling ahead, but I ain't no quitter!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks everyone, marlinman is that a Trek bike, that`s what mine is with the internal 7 speed hub.
Mines the cruiser style but has the girder fork like yours.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I gotta say, I have a mountain bike I haven't ridden in years.
That rig of yours Marlinman, I like!
Its like the Harley EL of bicycles. Classy.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

'63 , Marlinman? I remember back in the day about every fifth car on the road was a Falcon.

Jay, it would be very easy for you to lose weight.....just empty your pockets. For me, if I wanted to lose 15 pounds, all I would have to do is to depenis.-----6
Model A Uzi’s
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

It`s getting pretty deep around here. Six :lol:

My Trek.

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks buddy! Can you believe he is hacking on me like that?
Nice ride, bro!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OK...I've reached my top level of enthusiasm. It's back to the "deep end".

Pitchy....I can't envision you on a pedal bike. Let's see a video before the snow starts.

My wife was telling me about this guy who went past the house about 50 miles an hour on a pedal bike. I laughed and low and behold, the guy stopped in a few days later on his "bike". (This guy lives down the street and we bs guns and politics) Anyway, I asked him if he was the guy my wife saw the other day to which he replied, "yep, that was me testing out my new "engine". This guy is a mechanical genius and he bought this electric motor that hooks on the bike with a maximum speed of about 25. He rewired it, added a few gizmo's, changed sprockets along with a huge battery pack that fits in his backpack. I took it for a test spin and it scared the hell out of me. Instant power! He claims an easy 50 miles an hour.

Speaking of snow, when does the snow start falling in Maine and Minnesota? The winter months are my period of quietness, boredom, and seclusion from the outside world.

Well, gotta go...a hundred .308 military match brass is waiting for me for the match tomorrow.----6
Model A Uzi’s
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

OldWin wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:35 pm Thanks buddy! Can you believe he is hacking on me like that?
Nice ride, bro!
All this schlong talk must be a Pennsylvania thing. :shock:

I was up to 294 at one point. Lost 72 pounds while in the hospital. I don't recommend the "Coma Diet"!
I've been told that I looked pretty frail at 222 and 6'2", now alomst three years later I've settled in about 240 and feel pretty good. It's a constant struggle for me, but the diabetees dictated diet has made a difference. No sugar, no carbs ( at least as little as possible). Lots of chicken, fish and salads. The boss lady has been a big help looking for healthy stuff for us to eat. the info is out there, and good stuff too! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Six snow usually starts the middle of November.
Thanks Jason, i think i may start riding the bike a little at least it will be some exercise.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I lost 63 pounds from the beginning of 2015 until March 2016, then have, for the most part, kept it off (gained back 3 pounds since my back has been acting up again). Low carb diet. It is a life-style change. Plus a TON of walking. About the only thing my back can tolerate since I don't have easy access to a pool. In fact, now, when my back bothers me I go walk to relieve it. I'm now at 72 weeks straight of walking 20,000+ steps a day (as I type this I have 25,941 steps in today) with only missing 1 day (stuck in airplanes all day that day so only got 14,000 steps). I read my news while I walk, so kill two birds with one stone.

Losing the weight has saved my back, I'm sure of it. I was 221 lbs at 6', and now I'm 161 lbs. I think the weight lost helped keep my back from going early (again), and certainly helped me recover. When it went out in April 2017 though, I went from that 20,000+ steps a day to 453 steps in a week. Bed-ridden is no fun.

Low carb is the way to go. We all love meat, cheese, more meat, right? Eat all of it you want. Read books on leverguns or other things that interest you while you walk (on a treadmill). Your body will thank you for it! :D
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

BlaineG wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:21 am I wanted to lose 50 pounds this year....I've managed 30 so far. I started at about 295 butt naked. I was 180 when I retired from the Army in '92 but I think 220 will be just fine next year sometime. Already my back and knees feel better and I can see my shoes again :lol:

I went from 290 to 210 about 10 years ago by counting carbs & sticking to strict portion control (plus, I don't let ice cream in the house ;) ), but was very weak & uncomfortable. (could climb into the treestand much easier, though)

I eventually levelled out @ 235, then gradually crept up to the 245-247 range for about 6 years.

Currently (the past 30 days, I've been running in the 122-126 range, and feeling decent enough to go hunting this Fall. (I was out last Fall due to open heart surgery)

Excercising sucks.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I don't have a big issue with weight...maybe 20 lbs. over...I'm 185-190 and a tight 34 waist.....but the diet I'm on is not helping.

I'm on the "sea food diet"....I see food, I eat it.----6 :D
Model A Uzi’s
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I'm on the "sea food diet"....I see food, I eat it.----6
:lol: me too. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

marlinman93 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:56 pm I just removed the big fat seat off one of my bikes Pitchy. It was just too comfy, and too easy to sit down and cruise along. I ride a mountain bike mostly, but also have a single speed bike. The single speed gives me more exercise, but it had that plush seat, so away it went and a firm leather formed seat replaced it. I just finished doing an upgrade to the old single speed and removed the ridged front forks and replaced with retro Schwinn style springer forks. Changed the handlebars from high bars to standard height aluminum bars. It's a lot more fun to ride, and fits me better now. Nothing like the mountain bike, as the old cruiser turns huge radius, while the mountain bike turns very tight. But I ride the bike paths and don't need a tight radius turning bike anyway.

what year is the futura? my dad had two falcons, one was 64 sprint and the othera 64 futura.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

rossim92 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:21 am

what year is the futura? my dad had two falcons, one was 64 sprint and the othera 64 futura.
Mine is the '63 Futura which is a one year only design. In '63 they took the old round body and slapped the '64-'65 style roof on it. But only on the Futura. All the other models retained the earlier rounded roof style.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I maxed out at 255 about five years ago . I started by switching from regular Pepsi to zero calorie Pepsi Max I also drank ALOT of weak unsweetened iced tea and dropped 30 pounds PDQ and over time I got down to 200 now I fluctuate from 205-208 . I’d still like to drop 25-30 more .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

A couple springs back when Griff came thru and went to the gun show in Post Falls and we went out to dinner, I was 252 :shock: . I went on a 1200 calerie diet that June, and have been holding at 185-189 since. Lost most of that in about nine months, been painfully slow coming off since getting in the 190s, but it's staying off for the duration. Was talking to a gal at one gunshow who had also lost over 70 lbs, and she remarked "we've lost a whole person between us". I said, "sure hope it was a Democrat!
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

It`s hard to exercise for me, my head even got bigger by a hat size or two so i must be smarter too. :lol:
Hard to quit the bad habits for sure. :roll:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

My friends always told me the easiest way to lose 30lbs of fat, was to cut off my head! Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have about 1500 patients. That means that statistically, if they are of random ages and average health, one should pass away every 20 days or so.

That happens.... :|

HOWEVER, WAY too many die far too young, and of stuff I could EASILY prevent, if they only would come in for regular physicals, get the necessary testing, and do what treatments were appropriate for what we find.

I've lost WAY TOO *UCKING MANY patients I know well (practicing 30 years) and love (you start to really care for people you've helped through life-threatening illnesses, job loss, divorce, and so on) to the phenomenon of:

"My cardiologist says everything is ok" or "my gynecologist says I shouldn't need hormones and they are bad for me"..."

You have one of three situations:

a) a family physician who sucks (or no FP, which is about the same) - they see you yearly for a 4-minute 'physical' that includes referral to a bunch of 'clinics' (lipid clinic, ortho clinic, endo clinic, gynecology clinic, urology clinic, etc.) to earn them 'bonus' income, and you die too young with lots of over-priced healthcare, or they just tell you everything is 'ok' and do nothing (but if you were their brother they'd do LOTS of other stuff to assure you're ok).

or

b) no family physician, because all you do is see (or get referred to) high-tech specialists for whatever symptoms you confess to (and males deny symptoms, unlike females, who will actually TALK to their physician - although if they see a gynecologist instead of a decent family physician they don't get anything resembling whole-person care, since the GYN - or NP that sees their non-surgical patients - views women as nothing more than a uterus, and no care beyond what is 'preferred' by Anthem will be done).

c) you don't go to the doc because you are a tough, independent guy, who takes far better care of his guns and motorcycles than his own body, and fears a prostate exam might turn you gay, and figures "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".....I've for to LOTS of funerals of those guys....where $50/month spent on health care would have gained another twenty or thirty years of vigorous healthy life. What a waste. (...and the snowflake yuppies come in and take care of themselves and live to out-vote them, too... :evil: )

Our 'system' sucks...don't use that as an excuse to die too young....!!!!!
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

a) a family physician who sucks (or no FP, which is about the same) - they see you yearly for a 4-minute 'physical' that includes referral to a bunch of 'clinics' (lipid clinic, ortho clinic, endo clinic, gynecology clinic, urology clinic, etc.) to earn them 'bonus' income), and you die too young with lots of over-priced healthcare, or they just tell you everything is 'ok' and do nothing (but if you were their brother they'd do LOTS of other stuff to assure you're ok).
Yup, probably just my bad luck or the way i look, have had more than a few that say they hate motorcycles or think i`m there trying to get a disability or just plain covering up for some rich bastard. :twisted:
I give up on all of them tired of asking or expecting help, not saying they are all bad of coarse not just what`s happened to me.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

In less than a week I have an appointment with a General Practice Physician for the first time in about 20 months. I am having serious issues with gallstones. Yes, I can read the Merck Manual and match ut my symptoms to a diagnosis. 12 of 12 primary symptoms of serious gall stone issues and 15 first and second degree relatives who have had the same issues makes me pretty certain that I know what is wrong with me. I quit my last PCP because he REFUSED to listen to me and the lab results. Each increase in Metformin resulted in worsening numbers of my blood glucose. I suggested stopping it. Like all of the doctors I have ever come across who graduated from Baylor, he acted as if I were a complete fool. I also suggested Phentermine. He claimed Phentermine would kill me. I left his practice and went to a weight loss clinic. They performed an EKG on me and said that my heart was healthy enough for Phentermine. I stopped the Metformin and my blood sugar dropped by 20 points within 3 days. After a year and over 50 pounds lost, I had stopped all medications except Phentermine, my blood pressure was averaging 122 over 85 while on Phentermine, my A1C was down to 6.0 from 12.5 while on Metformin, and I was feeling great until my unavoidable family history of gallstones kicked in right on time. I have to go see a PCP and get checked because not one Surgeon on my insurance plan will take me until I waste my time and money on finding out what I already know. My insurance doesn't even require it. I am allowed a self referral in cases such as this, but the Surgeons refuse to accept that anyone with a 95% family history of gall bladder removal could know what their symptoms mean. :evil: I really hate that I have to deal with so many Baylor trained idiots around here. If I lived closer to AJMD429, I know who would be my first, second, and third choices for PCP. Listening to the patient is important.

24 years ago when I had been a Pharmacist for about a year, there was a customer of ours who was on a prescription anti-diarrheal medicine on a chronic basis. I had tried to talk to her about it, but she just didn't seem concerned. One day she came up and needed her anti-diarrheal medicine in a hurry. While the tech was counting it out, I asked her what was wrong. She had just eaten at the McDonalds in that Wal Mart and her burger had been contaminated with cheese from residue on the grill. She was highly allergic to lactose. After getting her prescription to her, I called Dr. Borgendale's office and asked if we could change her Dyazide to Maxzide-25 and avoid the lactose when we went from a capsule to a tablet. Dr. Borgendale told me that I didn't know anything, but he said to go ahead and learn why I was only a pill pusher. 6 months later when she was overdue for a refill on her anti-diarrheal, he called and asked why she was late for the first time in 30 years. I happily told him that she hadn't needed it in 4 months. He called me a couple of dirty names and slammed the phone down. It turned out that the patient was extremely sensitive to lactose. I got all her medicines changed to lactose free versions and her chronic diarrhea stopped. She was in her 60s at the time, and no one else had ever asked her about her lactose intolerance/allergy. It actually caused her to have hives.
D. Brian Casady
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yep - a very high percentage of MD's develop arrogance of that sort.

I've reminded a few fellow physicians that I spent SIX years in pharmacy school, but medical school was only four years..... :D

.....and a I've also reminded a few Internists that while they do a two-year residency, Family Physicians do a THREE year one.... :twisted:

Most of the time I keep my mouth shut, but sometimes you just have to slap the silly people down for their own good.... :lol:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey Doc,
You wouldn't consider making a house call to Maine would you?
I'm one of the worst offenders when it comes to going to the doctor's. I don't even have one, and I'm 51 in December. Trouble here is it's pretty slim pickings. Lots of what I call "tumbleweed doctors", they blow through our crappy hospital or clinics putting in their time. You need a transcript of what they are saying cause you can't understand them, take on too many patients, and don't care.
Any decent local doctor is full up, then retires with nobody decent to replace them. I know I have to start being proactive with my health, but it's pretty discouraging around here.
My optometrist is a family friend, knows me, and cares. Retiring in December. Nobody is even taking over his practice.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

One thing for sure.....don't even TRY to find a 'decent doctor' who "takes insurance".

That would be like expecting to go to the gun store with a "coupon for a gun for a $10 co-pay" and walking out with a 405 CheyTac and Nightforce scope.

If you want 'job done right', 'job done cheap', and ' job done quick', of course it ain't happening, so as my mechanic says "pick any two..." :lol:

Insurance forces it to be 'cheap' by paying only enough to break-even at about a five-minute visit; maybe ten minutes if they do something else that makes money (a 'strep test' or some in-house lab that is probably useless and inaccurate but well-reimbursed).

So the doc has to do 'quick' and 'cheap' - so you won't get 'done right' very often.

Quality primary care docs are all dropping insurance - the dilemma is that since our peers haul home a quarter million salary for the 4-minute visits the hospital grooms them for, making $80k for a 75-hour work-week won't satisy most of them, so they turn to gimmiks like selling too many supplements, doing bo-tox, or a scope-for-every-orifice, so when you go to the cash-pay doc and the waiting room is filled with display cases of stuff they sell, they are holding your VISIT cost down by selling stuff you may not (or actually MAY) need... If you just want a doc that sees you, evaluated your situation, and gives advice, be prepared to pay a per-hour rate somewhere between what you'd fork over for an accountant, and an attorney. (...the latter always amuses me since we have 12 or more years of college, and a way higher overhead, vs the attorneys....but....you gets what you pays for.....!)

Bottom line is that 90% of people say they 'value health care' but won't willingly spend half as much on health care in a given year as they do fast food, cigarettes, or pet toys. Spending $50/month to prevent the heart attack they would have had at age 50, delaying it to age 80, isn't considered worth it, but having the MI at 50, then spending $450,000 on bypass and rehab, to delay the second and fatal one until age 55 is somehow preferable, cuz all that money was slipped out of their paychecks and they never noticed it, but that $50/month is taking from their beer-budget... :roll: Those folks have driven the market to lucrative third-party-reimbursed stuff but less and less that is practical and affordable.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well that cheers me up Doc! I will say, I would be very open to go the no ins. Doc route, though. The 50 a month would be worth it for decent care. My ins. through work absolutely sucks. Used to be good, but I guess 30 years with a company don't get you much these days. Of course, you can't opt out or your forced into "the system".
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sadly, my insurance treats most walk in minor med clinics as E.R. visits and the co-pay is much higher than if you just pay out of pocket. $75 for no insurance, $559.99 for insurance co-pay for the same checkup and tests. Insurance is a scam. I do not begrudge a Doctor making a good living. They work hard for what they learn, and they have been taught stuff which most others will never know. I do have a problem with the ones who have bought into the healthcare by a committee of accountants. We need to get rid of that odiferous ACA and start over.
D. Brian Casady
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

My free annual wellness screening just cost me $53.
m.A.g.a. !
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

marlinman93 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:09 am Get a bicycle Pitchy! They're easier on our old knees than waking or running. I can't do either, but I can ride my bike and get some leg work without putting more wear and tear on my joints.
THIS ^

it's helping me too