Marlin 1895 500 s&w

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin 1895 500 s&w

Post by foxtrapper »

Gary Reeder is now doing the conversion. Just a heads up!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin 1895 500 s&w

Post by Ray »

The latest post he says they have run t w o boxes of factory ammo through it.....

Won't be long before this one is stretched and or exploded......

Remember this is the guy who scratches jailhouse tattoos onto guns and considers himself an artist....
m.A.g.a. !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeah that's LOTS more pressure than a 45-70, if I recall... :shock:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Yikes! I wouldn't think the old Marlin would be up to a big 60k psi cartridge.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I remember a article by Brian Pierce in Handloader or Rifle on the 45/70 that said they have been proofed to some where around the pressures of the 500. I would think it isn't going to hold up very long. I know for the hunting I do the 28000 loads have only once had one not exit in the many deer and one large bear. Why would you push this action?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

There was a reason Marlin never brought the 1895 in 480/475 into production . They claimed it was because they didn’t have enough intrest . I tend to believe they realized the guns would eventually tear themselves apart . Of course you’d have thought they woulda figured it out before they put it in the yearly catalog .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a Guide Gun. If I go hunting Cape Buffalo in Africa, I will get more gun than that. As far as converting one to something more, there is no need for me. The way Marlins lock up does not seem strong enough to handle very many times of 500 Smith & Wesson level pressures before something gives. I seem to remember Buck Elliott mentioning that in a thread where he was describing the lockup of the Bighorn Armory model 89.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't yet know how to import that thread, but it was from January 21, 2012, and Buck said that the Marlin action started showing evidence of metal fatigue in as few as 15 rounds of maximum loads from a 500 S&W conversion. The Winchester model 94 went a few more rounds.

If I get a rifle in 500 S&W, it will be one which can handle the pressure. Bighorn Armory solved it and put it into production.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

piller wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:51 am I don't yet know how to import that thread, but it was from January 21, 2012, and Buck said that the Marlin action started showing evidence of metal fatigue in as few as 15 rounds of maximum loads from a 500 S&W conversion. The Winchester model 94 went a few more rounds.

If I get a rifle in 500 S&W, it will be one which can handle the pressure. Bighorn Armory solved it and put it into production.
Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:07 pm
Buck Elliot: Well, here we go again...

The Marlin '94 doesn't have enough room inside it to handle the longer .454 Casull cartridge, nor can you "make" more room. On top of that, the lockup (materials, geometry, &c) will not stand up to the 65,000 psi max chamber pressure of the cartridge, even when translated into the 336 format.

Of all the guns we tested at the beginning of our project (mid-1980s) the Marlin 336 failed quicker than any of the other guns we proved, becoming too loose to function safely & correctly after about 20 rounds. (Don't have all my notes handy right now....)

A Winchester '94 Big Bore was pounded & peened loose after only a few more rounds, and NONE of the other leverguns we shot lasted through a complete box (50 rounds) of ammo, before becoming dangerously loose and difficult - or impossible - to cycle.

Winchester set out to prove our tests invalid, and came to the same conclusion we reached.

My rifle was already off the drawing board and on its way to being carved out of 17-4pH, when these tests took place.

More again some day when I have LOT more time...
m.A.g.a. !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Ray wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:05 pm
Remember this is the guy who scratches jailhouse tattoos onto guns and considers himself an artist....
My thoughts too. I'm all for new guns and calibers, but I'll pass on that one. My .459 Marlin seems to work out just fine. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I've got over 2 dozen leverguns of various caliber.

I personally see no point in having a .500 S&W version unless I also owned a .500 S&W handgun.
Which I don't. And probably won't.

There's not much on earth a .45-70 at 28K won't kill. Or my .444 Marlin.
And I can buy 2 or 3 (or more) Winchester or Marlin guns for what a Big Horn Armory gun costs.
They had a booth at DSC convention a couple of years back. I wasn't really impressed with what they had on display for the price. I kinda wanted on in .454 but I no longer own a .454 handgun. A .45 Colt in +P+ is plenty, and I already have a rifle that will handle that.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

While i like the idea of adding more calibers to the lever gun community i cant see paying $2000+ for a levergun. Especially since it wont do anything a 444, 450, or 45-70 wont do....at least for my hunting needs. That being said, i do like the shorter cartridge.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I had the opportunity to buy a friends Browning model 71. I had just bought a Winchester 71 the week before so I didn't need another. Then I thought about a 50 Alaskan conversion. I did my research and found that they have a lot of recoil and what will it do that a hot 45-70 won't. My magnum days are behind me I knew a 50 Alaskan as cool as it sounds would not get shot a lot and just sit around. So I have come to the conclusion that I personally don't need a 50 cal levergun.

Of course unless it's one of the black powder 50 cal cartridges, then that would be Super Cool! :D
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

BenT wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:56 am So I have come to the conclusion that I personally don't need a 50 cal levergun.

Of course unless it's one of the black powder 50 cal cartridges, then that would be Super Cool! :D
Yeah, I'm with you Ben -- don't ever again need anything thats gonna' kick the peewadin outa' me. Now if Bighorn Armory would expand their repertoire to include the BenchRest cartridges they would really tempt me. At one time I was going to do a 7mm BenchRest on a Rossi but finally had to acknowledge there just isn't room to seat the bullet out anywhere near where it ought to be. It would feed like a champ through the Rossi in .454 though if kept to a short C.O.A.L.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

vancelw wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:37 am I've got over 2 dozen leverguns of various caliber.

I personally see no point in having a .500 S&W version unless I also owned a .500 S&W handgun.
Which I don't. And probably won't.

There's not much on earth a .45-70 at 28K won't kill. Or my .444 Marlin.
And I can buy 2 or 3 (or more) Winchester or Marlin guns for what a Big Horn Armory gun costs.
They had a booth at DSC convention a couple of years back. I wasn't really impressed with what they had on display for the price. I kinda wanted on in .454 but I no longer own a .454 handgun. A .45 Colt in +P+ is plenty, and I already have a rifle that will handle that.
Yep. I agree, even as an owner of a Big Horn Armory 89 in 500 S&W.

I simply got one because I was at the point in my life where instead of getting practical basic guns, I wanted to get that once in a lifetime 'awesome' gun 'just because'.

I was trying to figure out how to make some fake Cape Buffalo tracks out behind the pond so I could justify to my wife the expense, but we've been married long enough and haven't killed each other yet, so I just went ahead and bought it. I let her shoot it, and as far as recoil, both of us feel it is about like a 20 gauge slug gun; not really that big a deal, and kind of fun to shoot...!

There isn't much the 500 S&W can do that a 'Ruger-level' 45-70 (or even a 444 Marlin) can't do well enough, with the possible exception of a doomsday-scenario where bullets were scarce but somehow I had primers. With a stash of 50 caliber sabots and about any kind of powder, you could load smaller bullets, or even pea-gravel, and get something downrange. Sabots of other calibers are available, but 50's are common, cheap, and hold enough of whatever you stuff in them to be unpleasant on the receiving end.

Thankfully doomsday doesn't seem to be at hand, and an AR-15 and case or two of ammo is probably more practical and less costly (but definitely not as cool).

Anyway, I figured I'd treat myself, and as the cartridges are so similar, once I use up all my 45-70 ammo and 444 Marlin ammo, I may just sell those puppies; my 89 is about the same size/weight as my Guide Gun.

As far as sixgun-compatability, none of those three cartridges strike me as something I want. Even if I lived and did chores in 'bear country' I think I'd prefer a more one-hand-shootable Glock in 10mm.

As far as the 454 Casull, I took a chance on a Rossi several years ago, and it has performed well enough I got another. The second had cases bursting and the chamber was a mite big, but Rossi re-barreled it under warranty with less than two weeks turnaround, if I recall. No problems since. Much 'handier' in the 16" version than me BHA 89 Carbine, and both hold 8 shots. I might get a 454 Ruger someday, but I'd never get a 500 S&W revolver (ergonomics of a bowling-ball), so there's a vote for the Rossi, along with the 75% less price.

But having said all that....I really love the Big Horn Armory 89.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

2ndovc wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:59 am
Ray wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:05 pm
My thoughts too. I'm all for new guns and calibers, but I'll pass on that one. My .459 Marlin seems to work out just fine. :D

jb 8)
just think.....you could have had a horseshoe, cattle brand, cowboy hat(10 gal.) & boot, lawman star, long horns, spur shanks & rowels, and nude harlot in profile scratched on that .459 marlin for just a few dollars more.....
m.A.g.a. !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

.450 Marlin. I hate that, been a little dyslectic lately. :D

Don't forget it also needs the Big Dipper, Little Dipper and the Southern Cross in gold for total effect!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

2ndovc wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:14 pm .450 Marlin. I hate that, been a little dyslectic lately. :D

Don't forget it also needs the Big Dipper, Little Dipper and the Southern Cross in gold for total effect!

jb 8)
and don't forget to call the earl scheib quality bluing "black chromex" !
Last edited by Ray on Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

piller wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:51 amIf I get a rifle in 500 S&W, it will be one which can handle the pressure. Bighorn Armory solved it and put it into production.
Ding, ding, ding! We have a WINNER!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'll just leave this right here. Personally, I'd get the stock Marlin and buy expensive ammo.
http://www.garrettcartridges.com/4570.html
That stuff has repeatedly taken the biggest game on earth.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

If you want a marlin in 50 caliber, the 50 alaskan will work as long as you handload it sanely.
500 sw .500 diameter
.510 ak .510 diameter .348 winchester opened up to .510

I shoot 535 grain woodleighs or 500 grain cast in mine. Rolls bears like groundhogs! :shock:
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Blaine: OW!