Who's shooting a Bearcat these days?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Who's shooting a Bearcat these days?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Dang things are so darned handy. I can remember a bunch of us had the "I wants" pretty bad when the little birdshead model came out. Who is shooting a Bearcat today -- in any configuration? How do you like it? I see Lipseys even has an adjustable sight version out. This kind of begins to defeat the no-nonsense appeal of the Bearcat, but can't argue with enhancing accuracy.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Who's shooting a Bearcat these days?

Post by Ray »

I have a plain blued one from about 2000.....

haven't seen it in a long time so thanks for this post.....reminds me to look for it.....

carried it along on a deer hunt once in uncle's forest where the squirrels were quite annoying.....got a painful reminder that right under the pine straw and leaves is solid granite and quartz..... :cry: cci minimag right back at me.......that was one long limping hike back to the truck.....
m.A.g.a. !
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I had an old aluminum frame model as my first trapline pistol. It was a handy devil and mechanically accurate. 1-1/4" groups at 25 yards with ammo it liked (early Stingers?) off a sandbag. Problem was I couldn't shoot it that well without a rest; my hands are just shy of 5" across the knuckles and I had/have a hard time hanging onto the tiny Bearcat with any consistency. I (actually my dad) sold it when I was 19 and I picked up a High Standard Sentinel, bit larger but I can shoot grouse in the noggin off hand no problem. It's been my trapline gun ever since with Lord knows how many critters under its belt.

Eric
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've had a Single Six for a very long time. I shot a Buddy's Bearcat (Bestlever's) and after that I decided I'd stick with the Single Six.
Last edited by Blaine on Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Picked this one up for Y2K years ago. His first handgun. Had the grips made by Klamath River (the guy passed away years ago as well). Picture makes them look big, but they fit perfectly. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

BlaineG wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:05 pm I've had a Single Six for a very lone time. I shot a Buddy's Bearcat (Bestlever's) and after that I decided I'd stick with the Single Six.

That's about my story too. ....I've probably owned 50 single action Rugers over the years...only one was a Bearcat.......Super Bearcat which was NIB and I figured (Late seventies) I'd keep it that way as a 5" Single Six fit my needs.

I've shot other people's Bearcats...to me it was hard to shoot accurately.....fast.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I like the blued fixed sight Bearcats, as IMO adjustable sights only make zeroing a little less demanding, and make no difference in accuracy.

I went through at least a half-dozen of various Old Model BC's (including SBC's) in the past 43 years , trying to find one that would shoot to the POA with all the different .22LR ammo I typically keep on hand, w/o luck.

That is, until I stumbled across this 1969 (OM) standard BC that did...………………. with several different makes/types of ammo I have.

The chambers are tight, not accepting some brands of ammo, but I'm OK with that (no, I'm not gonna mess with the chambers, and it hasn't been back to Ruger for the safety conversion).

I have the issue walnut grip panels, but liked the Elkhorn Stag grips made by Sack Peterson (over on www.rugerforum.com ) better, and he was nice enough to install a set of new Ruger medallions on them.

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Very nice grips, Jay and Pete.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I seem to remember Terry Murbach writing about how accurate he found his.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Pete44ru wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:28 pm .

The chambers are tight, not accepting some brands of ammo, but I'm OK with that (no, I'm not gonna mess with the chambers, and it hasn't been back to Ruger for the safety conversion).

If you have been hording ammo, check it for lead oxidation. I have over 1000 rounds that can only be used by forcing them into a single shot.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Sixgun wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:43 pm
BlaineG wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:05 pm I've had a Single Six for a very lone time. I shot a Buddy's Bearcat (Bestlever's) and after that I decided I'd stick with the Single Six.

That's about my story too. ....I've probably owned 50 single action Rugers over the years...only one was a Bearcat.......Super Bearcat which was NIB and I figured (Late seventies) I'd keep it that way as a 5" Single Six fit my needs.

I've shot other people's Bearcats...to me it was hard to shoot accurately.....fast.----6
Same story for me. The Single Six fits my hand size perfectly. 8)
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Buddy of mine has a Bearcat with black mother of pearl grips. Yeah Patton hated pearl but boy is his cat sharp!
I've always liked the Bearcat, although I dont have one.
I do however have a single six in .44 special- now that's a fine carry rig!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

765x53 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:54 am
If you have been hording ammo, check it for lead oxidation. I have over 1000 rounds that can only be used by forcing them into a single shot.

Not exactly hoarding, as I haven't bought .22RF ammo since before Obama first got elected - I just bought a large lot, once upon a time.

I got a deal on 10,000 rounds after a local GS owner passed away.

Around when I retired in 2004, I offered to take all his RF ammo off his widow's hands, and she took me up on my offer.

I currently have somewhere around 2,000 rounds left - enough to last until I go for my Dirt Nap. (No, there no lead oxidation so far - probably because it's stored OK.)

Last edited by Pete44ru on Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:13 pm Buddy of mine has a Bearcat with black mother of pearl grips. Yeah Patton hated pearl but boy is his cat sharp!
I've always liked the Bearcat, although I dont have one.
I do however have a single six in .44 special- now that's a fine carry rig!

A Single Six in 44 Spl??????? (My favorite caliber).........how many does the cylinder hold? 3? For real, I've never heard of such an custom animal...I have one in 32 Mag but 44 Spl?!---6
Model A Uzi’s
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

MY father inlaw bought a new Bearcat back in the late 1960's. The only time I shot it I killed a nice big cotton tail with it so one shot can tell much but it was accurate.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey Six yes it's a 5 shot. While I was at TSJC Gunsmith school i ordered a .32 and with a littler help from classmate John Gallagher we made a new cylinder and re-barreled it to 44spec. It's a bit crude but it was one of a kind.
It is a great little packin pistol.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Here's my .44 single six
20180805_075220-600x800.jpg
20180805_075210-600x800.jpg
20180805_075154-600x800.jpg
Used the orignal front sight, had to reprofile the base. Orignal base pin too. We actually made 2 cylinders, first one we got a little thin on cylinder walls.
Around the house I'd keep shot shells in it for packets and snattlerakes/ bull snakes. When I go up in the mountains fishing I was stoke it with 240s.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Sadly I found out last fall that I can no longer see the sights on my Bearcat. :cry:
Slow is just slow.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

cas wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:34 pm Sadly I found out last fall that I can no longer see the sights on my Bearcat. :cry:
Yeah!....that's The ticket.
I think I'll use that excuse...
(I'm making fun of me, not you) :D

I bought an old style Bearcat off a friend a few months ago. Tried to dispatch a coon in a trap and ended up spending the last round with the barrel in his face.

Need to shoot it on paper... :(
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Cas, thanks for the prompt on seeing the sights. I may be in this same bucket o' mud ... :?
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I shot at the same squirrel... 13 times(?) last year, over about 40 minutes and a hundred plus yards. Only managed to scare him.

I was thinking I should sell it and buu an adjustable sight model with a fiber optic front. That will buy some time. Even that setup is a struggle for me now. It happened real quick.
Slow is just slow.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

IMG_20180806_101910_hdr_kindlephoto-189346680.jpg
Found it......never was really lost....hidden in plain sight....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
m.A.g.a. !
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I've got two Bearcats that I've not fired in recent memory.
One is steel framed and the other alloy.
They both have terrible sights, rough chambers, poor triggers, and indifferent accuracy.
When I grab something to go plinking, it is usually the single six hunter or the 22/45 lite.

Jack
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

My daughter's Bearcat. Hasn't been fired for at least 10 years.
It is not the critic who counts
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

I need to shoot my Bearcat...I think mine is a 1972 vintage 'Super' Bearcat(steel frame)...pre-transfer bar version. My main issue with the Bearcat is that I own 3 Ruger Single-Six revolvers plus a Colt Frontier Scout and a German Hawes Buffalo Scout
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I took in a New Model Bearcat in trade at a gunshow last winter. Was running a trap line and it was perfect to carry along. Shot quite a bit to the left and low, so I made a tool to unscrew the barrel, anti seized the threads, and tightened it a little past where it had been. After a couple tries, it shot dead center, but still low, so a little careful filing and it hits where it looks. Now my favorite rimfire pistol!
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I keep looking at the new ones with the long barrel. I haven't bought one yet, I'm hesitant due to my experiences with the Single Sixes. I'm on my third one and still not impressed. I thought I would eventually come across the .22lr or Mag ammo that it would like. Still searching! The one I have now was a Christmas gift from my sister and wouldn't part with it but I'm really disappointed with the accuracy of this pistol. Maybe 6" at 25 yds. Pretty sad. Don't know what to do with it.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Jason if it were me I'd recut the crown, maybe the throat as well. Then if not any better then invest in one of Poco's accurizers.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:52 pm Jason if it were me I'd recut the crown, maybe the throat as well. Then if not any better then invest in one of Poco's accurizers.
I have a set of the Accurizers. No help with this one. I was poking around the 'net this morning. Found a couple different gunsmiths offering tune ups for the Single Six. I'll pick one out and send it off eventually. Not a huge priority, I have several accurate .22 pistols, my K 22 being the tack driver that it is makes the Ruger look like it came from the Taurus factory. :o

jb 8)

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yeah my K22 is my GOTO as well!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jason, I, too, have never been impressed with the accuracy of the Single Sixes that passed through my hands. Really so-so and they all went bye-bye. My most accurate Ruger rimfires have been the various Marks, including the "slab side" Government model and a not-often-seen Mark II Silhouette with 10-inch bull barrel. I sure wish I had kept that one.
My first cartridge handgun was a Ruger Standard Model with fixed sights and the 4-inch tapered barrel that Dad bought me when I was in high school. I got pretty handy with the thing, and while I didn't hit too many of the ground squirrels I shot at, a number of them became Baptists within 24 hours ... :P
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I'm glad that I'm not the only one. I have a MKII with a short Bull barrel that is quite accurate. It's not quite up there with the Colt Match Target, but when I dropped it on a sandstone outcropping in PA, I didn't cry like I would have if I'd dropped Grandpa's Colt!
No worries though, the S.S. is just going to hang out until I decide what to do with it. :D

jb 8)

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Never bought or fired a Bearcat. I have a Mark II with a tapered barrel and the standard sights, and from a rest it is the most accurate .22lr that I have ever fired. 10 round groupings from a rest in an area which can be covered with a dime with ammo that it likes have happened several times. Plenty accurate for head shots on squirrels. If you can see it and hold steady, that pistol can hit it. I have had it for over 30 years.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, in my extended experience (since 1960), rimfire Ruger revolvers are plinking & trail guns, and not target pistols - to expect them to be as accurate as a target pistol like the Ruger Mark's is an unreasonable expectation.

Used within their design parameters & admitted limitations, they are excellent RF revolvers - almost as good as my Colt Frontier Scout.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Don't know if you are lumping me in as expecting the revolvers to be as accurate as my Mark II, but I have never tried a Bearcat or a Single Six. No expectations about accuracy, just too happy with the accuracy of what I already have to bother with shopping around.
D. Brian Casady
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

piller wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:18 am Don't know if you are lumping me in as expecting the revolvers to be as accurate as my Mark II.
Nope. . :)

It's just that it seems there's a lot of folks out there (here, there - everywhere online) that seem to.

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Never expected the Single Six to out shoot my Mk II, Match Target or K 22, but I did expect less than 5" groups at 25 yds. Especially for what these cost new.
The above mentioned .22s will all shoot less than 2" at 25 yds, the K22 and Colt will do even better with Eley Target, Standard Velocity ammo.

They are nice little revolvers, just seems like you take your chances on getting one that shoots well.

jb 8)

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If they were to earn a reputation for accuracy which the Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk have earned, then I would take another look. Sure, there are some pistols which are more accurate than the Super Blackhawk, but not at that price. The Super Blackhawks I have fired have all been 1 inch or less at 25 yards. The Bearcat would probably benefit from slightly larger grips.
D. Brian Casady
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

You people are killing me :( :shock: :?
I've always been perfectly happy with the accuracy of my Single-Six! I've killed lots of prairie dogs, squirrels and even coyotes and a fox with mine.

Never shot it on paper

Now I don't wanna :cry:

Better off not knowing :D
Last edited by vancelw on Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I'd like to pick up one of the adjustable sighted versions for a lightweight woods gun. I had a Shopkeeper version that shot close enough to point of aim for plinking cans and dispatching animals in traps, but shot a friends that that was about 5" left and several inches high at 50 feet with about every brand ammo we tried in it.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

oops :|

I was trying to edit my earlier post for spelling and ended up quoting myself.
I knew I shouldn't eat a sammich and surf at the same time...
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I will agree that Ruger Single Six's are not as accurate as their semi auto.....but......if you have an early flatgate or an Old Model that was made before the Single Six became a convertible gun...with the .22 mag cylinder........you have a very accurate .22 revolver. That's pretty much known in the Ruger world.

This flatgate, made in '57 (going from memory) is as accurate as my Mark 2/3's. The reason being that the early Rugers had .223 diameter barrels while the newer barrels (somewhere around '63) were .224. It takes more skill to shoot a revolver as accurate as a semi auto so you have to also put that into the equation.----6

Imagea
Model A Uzi’s
tward
Levergunner

Post by tward »

I picked up a used Bearcat at auction last year. It was a nice shooter but had been stored in its holster and had a lot of pitting. I sent it off to Ruger for refinishing. I got a call from customer service saying that it was unsafe for firing and offering me a New Model Bearcat at no cost, so I took them up on it. I got a nice stainless steel version. It’s a great little gun but it takes a lot of concentration to shoot accurately. It gets me grinning just to look at it! :mrgreen: Tim
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

tward wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:23 pm I picked up a used Bearcat at auction last year. It was a nice shooter but had been stored in its holster and had a lot of pitting. I sent it off to Ruger for refinishing. I got a call from customer service saying that it was unsafe for firing and offering me a New Model Bearcat at no cost, so I took them up on it. I got a nice stainless steel version. It’s a great little gun but it takes a lot of concentration to shoot accurately. It gets me grinning just to look at it! :mrgreen: Tim
Welcome to the fire Tim, that sure sounds like a GREAT deal.... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

gamekeeper wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:36 am
tward wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:23 pm
I picked up a used Bearcat at auction last year. It was a nice shooter but had been stored in its holster and had a lot of pitting. I sent it off to Ruger for refinishing. I got a call from customer service saying that it was unsafe for firing and offering me a New Model Bearcat at no cost, so I took them up on it. I got a nice stainless steel version. It’s a great little gun but it takes a lot of concentration to shoot accurately. It gets me grinning just to look at it! :mrgreen: Tim
Welcome to the fire Tim, that sure sounds like a GREAT deal.... :mrgreen:

That was a SUPER upgrade !

Welcome to the fire, tward !