Real chili

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Real chili

Post by Old Savage »

Always made some version of eastern chili, you know with beans etc. But, got this pan and wanted to make what some look at as real chili, largely those from Texas. What I mean here is just meat cooked with chilies. So who has a recipe, method for this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Real chili

Post by daisygordoninc »

Do people put this on something else or add beans ?
I've always wondered about that.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

It is very good by itself but definitely different than regular chili. My wife mixed some with black beans and liked that. Waiting to hear from the Texas contingent.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Ever notice the canned junk always has beans. Just a cheap filler. "Real" chili has on beans. I do like some onions, but that's as far as I will go.

AS long as we're on the chili topic, I, albeit rarely, a chili size listed in diners and such. Sadly, they always destroy it by having chili "with" beans instead of real chili. I have found one diner that has a real chili size. The more cheese and onions, the better. :D
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Can't help with recipes, but my dad didn't think it was real chili if it had beans in it. (We're from Texas) I like it either way. What you have in the pan there looks tasty to me! :mrgreen:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Chili without beans is for making spaghetti-red and topping hot-dogs.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

OS,
My favorite is Wick Fowlers Chile Mix (two alarm IIRC) and you can make it mild or very hot depending upon how much cayenne pepper used).
Years ago, Wick won the annual chili cook off in Terlingua , Texas with this recipe.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Just remember that chili with beans you get to enjoy it when you eat it and again the next day, as does everyone else in the room! :D And please don't try to blame the dog.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Beans added to chili are just to stretch it. On cattle drives beans were a staple and when a "treat" was prepared, chili from leftover beef, the cook would sometimes stretch the chili with beans to make enough for everybody. No such thing as "chili with beans" it's like adding water to the soup/stew to make enough... :roll: :lol:

And that's from a "Prune Picker" (born and raised in LA, CA) :mrgreen:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Texas Red

Ingredients 3 lbs beef or game meat, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1 inch cubes
1 onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
6 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
2 c water (more if necessary)
6 Tbsp cornmeal

In a heavy soup pot (preferably cast iron) brown the beef cubes over medium high heat, 2-3 minutes.
Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onions have softened, 3-5 minutes.
Stir in the chili powder, cumin, salt, and black pepper.
Add the water and bring the mixture to a boil.
Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, covered, for 3-4 hours, until the beef is incredibly tender and the chili is thick. (Check the chili occasionally and add more water if it looks too dry.)
Just before serving, mix in the cornmeal slowly, stirring to let any excess moisture be absorbed, creating a nice, thick chili.
Serve with cornbread or sourdough bread.

Even better when left to 'season' overnight.
Heat it up and skim off the fat.
Add more cornmeal if it looks too thin.

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Left overs are always better. :)
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

My stomach's growlin'!
Have you hugged your rifle today?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

No real 'recipe' but we mix:

Ground whitetail deer meat browned in a skillet
Whatever peppers we have the most of on hand
Whatever tomatoes or tomatilla we have on hand
Enough water to make it right
Add salt and pepper to taste.

Then at the last minute, fresh onion.

Eat plain, or spoon over noodles, beans, tortillas, cheese, etc.

Each batch different. All good.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I don't have a recipe, I just know how to make it. I use black beans and everything else I can think of and have it over corn bread or a little rice. I can tolerate hamburger, but prefer diced roast beef that I've cooked in pressure cooker until it falls apart, and the broth is used in the chili. Spicy is ok, but not so spicy that you can't taste the other stuff in it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

if it smells and tastes as good as that foto looks.....at our casa we would spoon it over rice and eat it with both hands......
m.A.g.a. !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Currently, the Hatch chili peppers are in season. They are wonderful to make chili with. If you want more heat, just add jalapenos. If you really like it hot, go to habaneros or something like ghost peppers. I don't go hotter than jalapenos.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

This stuff was great, put it over buttered sourdough toast. To further experiment added a small can of tomato sauce and a small can of mushrooms and made some spaghetti which was also great.

Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Since we're talking "Texas Chili" -- I just have to post this joke below...

After reading that again... Good luck to Old Savage ! ! ! :wink:

Old No7

Notes from an Inexperienced Chili Taster Named FRANK, Who was Visiting Texas from the East Coast:

Recently I was honored to be selected as an outstanding famous celebrity in Texas, to be a judge at a Chili Cook-off -- because no one else wanted to do it. Also the original person called in sick at the last moment... And I happened to be standing there at the judge's table asking for directions to the beer wagon when the call came... I was assured by the other two judges (Native Texans) that the chili wouldn't be all that spicy... And besides, they told me that I could have free beer during the tasting... So I accepted.

Here are the Scorecards from the Event:

CHILI # 1: MIKE'S MANIC MONSTER CHILI

JUDGE ONE: A little to heavy on tomato. Amusing kick.

JUDGE TWO: Nice, smooth tomato flavour. Very mild.

FRANK: Holy pelosi, what the hell is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway with this stuff. I needed two beers to put the flames out. Hope that's the worst one. Those Texans are crazy.

CHILI # 2: ARTHUR'S AFTERBURNER CHILI

JUDGE ONE: Smokey, with a hint of pork. Slight Jalapeno tang.

JUDGE TWO: Exciting BBQ flavour. Needs more peppers to be taken seriously.

FRANK: Keep this out of reach of children! I'm not sure what I am supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver. They had to walkie-talkie in three extra beers when they saw the look on my face.

CHILI # 3: FRED'S FAMOUS BURN DOWN THE BARN CHILI

JUDGE ONE: Excellent firehouse chili! Great kick. Needs more beans.

JUDGE TWO: A beanless chili. A bit salty. Good use of red peppers.

FRANK: Call the EPA, I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now. Barmaid pounded me on the back; now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I'm getting pelosi-faced, but need more beer!

CHILI # 4: BUBBA'S BLACK MAGIC

JUDGE ONE: Black Bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.

JUDGE TWO: Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods. Not much of a chili.

FRANK: I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Sally, the barmaid, was standing behind me with fresh refills; that 300 lb bitch is starting to look HOT, just like this nuclear-waste I'm eating.

CHILI # 5: LINDA'S LEGAL LIP REMOVER

JUDGE ONE: Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very impressive.

JUDGE TWO: Chili using shredded beef; could use more tomato. Must admit the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.

FRANK: My ears are ringing, and I can no linger focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed the paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage. Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly from a pitcher onto it. It really upsets me that the other judges asked me to stop screaming. Freakin' Rednecks! ! !

CHILI # 6: VERA'S VERY VEGETARIAN VARIETY

JUDGE ONE: Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spice and peppers.

JUDGE TWO: The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions and garlic.

FRANK: My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulphuric flames. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except that slut Sally. I need to wipe my butt with a snow cone!

CHILI # 7: SUSAN'S SCREAMING SENSATION CHILI

JUDGE ONE: A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.

JUDGE TWO: Ho Hum. Tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at the last moment. I should note that I am worried about Judge # 3.

FRANK: You could puta #)$^@#*&! Grenade in my mouth, pull the #)$^@#*&! pin, and I wouldn't feel a d@&$ thing. I've lost the sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili, which slid unnoticed out of my X*$(@#^&$ mouth. My pants are full of lava-like pelosi, to match my X*$(@#^&$ shirt. At least the during the autopsy they'll know what killed me. I've decided to stop breathing, it's too painful. I'm not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I'll just suck it in through the four inch hole in my stomach.

CHILI # 8: HELEN'S MOUNT SAINT CHILI

JUDGE ONE: A perfect ending. This is a nice blend chili, safe for all; not too bold, but spicy enough to declare its existence.

JUDGE TWO: This final entry is a good balanced chili, neither mild now hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge # 3 passed out, fell and pulled the chili pot on top of himself. Not sure if he's going to make it. Poor Yank.

FRANK: - - - -(Editor's Note: FRANK, aka Judge # 3, was unable to report......)
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

OS, here is the chili recipe I have settled on for most of my batches, although I plan to make it again soon and use the Hatch chiles that we are currently swimming in here in New Mexico in place of the chipotles. You can skip the Carroll Shelby spices and go from scratch using Emeril's recipe if you want. This may not be chili by anyone else's standards, but believe me, if you try this recipe, whatever you want to call it you are going to like it, especially with fresh Hatch chile corn bread on the side. I also agree that the frijoles belong on the side, not in the chili.
Best dang chili recipe

My later father-in-law Jim Neill and I worked this up based loosely on Emeril’s Chuck Wagon Chili recipe.

2 pounds lean chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes; deer or elk is great for this too!
3 cups chopped yellow onion
2 TBSP canola or olive oil
1 pkg Carroll Shelby’s Chili Fixins Kit

Brown beef cubes in batches until done, remove, then sauté onions until tender.
Add browned beef back into the pot and sprinkle in the Shelby’s kit seasonings except for the masa harina. Stir to coat beef and onions, then add:

1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
12 ounces of Guinness Stout or other dark beer
1 ounce semi-sweet baker’s chocolate, chopped
1-2 TBSP molasses
1 or 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped. Warning – this is where the heat comes from and it is easy to overdo if you add much more.
½ teaspoon liquid smoke.

I let this simmer in a Dutch oven for about three hours, stirring occasionally. When it has thickened and the beef is tender, you can add the masa harina mixed with 1/3 cup water to thicken and further mellow the chili if you want. This is another recipe that is even better the second day, and it also freezes very well.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

This stuff was good but that was a while back.

Well my gosh, chocolate, Guiness, molasses and liquid smoke. The purists will be after you for sure :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Liquid Smoke? There is no hope for some folks. :roll:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jeepnik wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:21 pm Liquid Smoke? There is no hope for some folks. :roll:
Sometimes..but, more than a capfull is way too much. :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Why am I suddenly remembering the campfire scene from "Blazing Saddles"?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

piller wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:43 pm Why am I suddenly remembering the campfire scene from "Blazing Saddles"?
I loved that movie (except the ending sucked) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Billy's recipe has elements from the original chili......

the liquid smoke replaces the smoked insects and larvae.....

the stout replaces the maize chicha.....

the chocolate replicates original honey and cocoa.....

and whatever meat you choose replaces javelina or the pluck and flesh of captured spaniards.....
m.A.g.a. !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ray, a friend who grew up on the Arizona/Mexico border swears it ain't chili if the meat isn't jack rabbit.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Jack rabbit ain't rabbit and it taste horrible no matter what you do to it.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jeepnik wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:00 pm Jack rabbit ain't rabbit and it taste horrible no matter what you do to it.
Frying it like regular rabbit seems to be the big problem. I hear it's really tough. Sounds like stew material and lots of spice to tame the taste.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Many, many moons ago uncle sam sent me to a little training course in the desert. While the biggest emphasis was on water, but you do get hungry after a bit. So, like great little students we were we killed and attempted to eat jack rabbit, rattlesnake, and ground squirrels. Well, I learned one thing, you can eat them, but you sure as heck don't want to.

As for stewing any of it, there wasn't enough water for that, so things were sort of roasted. And not roasted well.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

jeepnik wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:00 pm Jack rabbit ain't rabbit and it taste horrible no matter what you do to it.
Jack rabbit ain't rabbit, it's hair.
We need our UK friends comments about hair.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

765x53 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:39 pm
Jack rabbit ain't rabbit, it's "hare".
We need our UK friends comments about hair.
There fixed it for you.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

We always called chili with no beans "hot dog chili". I need beans in my chili.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

JB wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:19 pm We always called chili with no beans "hot dog chili". I need beans in my chili.
Like I stated above. There is no hope for some folks. :D
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

jeepnik wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:03 pm
JB wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:19 pm We always called chili with no beans "hot dog chili". I need beans in my chili.
Next you'll tell me you don't eat coleslaw on your hotdog :D I found while up north or out west, they'd give me with a lost look when I ordered a hotdog with chili and coleslaw! That and unsweet tea!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

JB wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:19 pm
jeepnik wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:03 pm
Next you'll tell me you don't eat coleslaw on your hotdog :D I found while up north or out west, they'd give me with a lost look when I ordered a hotdog with chili and coleslaw! That and unsweet tea!
The German in me always comes out. Sauerkraut only.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"