No lead shooting range

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

No lead shooting range

Post by daisygordoninc »

I had been a member of Baron's Den shooting range near Eugene Oregon for years. The owner died and
now it is reopened under new ownership. I was signing up for a year's membership when I was told
No Lead Bullets. They sell no lead bullets of course at a high price, however they didn't have the 3
calibers I came to shoot. Is this becoming a common thing, No Lead ? Pretty much eliminates
self loaders.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: No lead shooting range

Post by piller »

I haven't seen it near me,yet. That would eliminate .22lr, and become too expensive to do much else. Barnes bullets and Hornady GMX are the only lead free ones I can think of. There are probably more, and they are probably too expensive for much shooting practice.

Did they give a reason for going lead free? State law? Enviro-Nazis bought the range?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

Remember this is Eugene Oregon I'm talking about, they quoted some new regulation that
made it unattractive to do lead. Political correctness often wins here, many companies
make granola here.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

I have seen non lead 22lr for sale... expensive
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I have some black tip 30/06 you could use :D
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

I remember a few years ago the "save the earth" crew was trying to shut down our Izaak Walton shooting range south of Eugene
because they thought the ground was being poisoned and the water might be poisoned as well. I don't know how that was
dealt with but we won that fight and still have that range available.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I got an email yesterday from Midsouth Shooters supply, they had .41 ZINC bullets for sale, having two 41's I thought about buying some but as I read further there is very little load data so I didn't order any.

Also I recently saw that non toxic shot is causing higher levels of chemical residue from bismuth, tungsten and iron in water...

Lead is as we all know easy to reclaim, costly yes. As for other non toxic stuff it is much harder to ' dispose of '... Ya can't sell it to Interstate Batteries!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Muddly
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Muddly »

What is it about the left coast? Will the last American leaving it please bring the flag.
mturbo
Levergunner

Post by mturbo »

until they can get the prices of the so called Polymer bullets down to pennies apiece.. I'm not interested. They all seem to be close to the price of lead bullets. You would think they would be cheap as hell!
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

I would leave Oregon without hesitation even though I grew up in Rural Oregon and assumed
everyone in Oregon was conservative, loved the constitution and loved America. Boy did I
get my eyes open in the years to come. Our Governor is bi-sexual, our abortion laws are the
most liberal in America, and our Senators 2 of the extreme liberals.
However I pastor here in the Willamette Valley, don't feel like I can leave all these sheep
and sneak out to Wyoming. I'm thinking Heaven won't be like Oregon much at all.
Muddly
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Muddly »

Truly a voice crying in the wilderness. LORD bless and keep you Sir
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I would think a "no lead" policy would put the shooting range out of business: it wouldn't be able to compete with ranges on this east side of the mountains.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Tanqueray
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Tanqueray »

Surely you can get some copper coloured paint to paint over your lead bullets :wink:
More meplat, more better.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Both ranges I go to have a lead reclaim program that nets them big $$$$$ every 2 years....
what a dufus to make it a no lead range.....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Some states now have regulations about indoor shooting ranges and the level of lead particulates in the air. While they don't ban the use of lead, they do require extensive ventilation to meet the airborne lead standards. That is expensive, and that is why some ranges now require the use of lead-free ammo. BTW, the main source of this airborne lead is not the bullets but the lead styphnate used in the standard primers. So lead-free means not only the use of non-lead bullets but also of lead-free primers.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

A number of years ago Clackamas County, Or. sheriff's dept. opened up a new indoor range for their use, and also by the hour to the public. I went for the grand opening to see what it was like and it was very impressive. But when I heard they would only allow jacketed bullets, and nobody could bring in their own ammo I never went back. Just too expensive, and too many restrictions to make me want to shoot there.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/