Interesting phenomenon

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Interesting phenomenon

Post by GunnyMack »

Outta bed at 5:15, as I always do. I can hear thunder in the distance. Down stairs, grab my rain coat and take the girls out. Back in to feed the hounds, start the coffee.
As i sit on the couch looking at the forum posts and sipping my joe the thunderstorm moves in. I enjoy thunderstorms, reminds us of how much power Mother Earth really has.
Anyhow each time i see a flash of lightning the solar lights turn on and then go off by the time I hear thunder.
Must be just enough particulate in the air to conduct electricity.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Interesting phenomenon

Post by Pitchy »

I watched a vid yesterday that said the earth is getting hit with a high level of solar flares maybe that has something to do with it.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I hear ya Gunny......I absolutely despise getting up this early but I did and saw your post. We were supposed to have a match today so I got up at 6:30, went to pick up my BIL and we both decided it was a good choice to forget about the 26 mile drive to the gunclub. Yea.....rain and thunder...

I like it too but NOT on days that the .22, 38-40, and the 38-55 were supposed to be barking. Going back to bed.---6
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Just prior to a storm, yes there will be dust in the air. Wind picks it up. Only a tiny amount of dust/ions when coupled with the high moisture content of the air is needed to carry electricity.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I saw once a guy in Germany set up a bunch of florescent bulbs under high tension lines and they would glow at night.

Six, I'm up every day at 5:15- we have a fun match scheduled for tomorrow, gotta leave about 06:30 - if its NOT raining!! Thundering again now, had 1.74" of rain today. If this weather pattern keeps up we are gonna be up to our ears in snow!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Wow! 5:15..........I did it for 44 years and never could get used to it, even going to bed early. My wife says I'm retaliating in retirement because now it's anywhere from 9-11.---6
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:03 pm I saw once a guy in Germany set up a bunch of florescent bulbs under high tension lines and they would glow at night.

Six, I'm up every day at 5:15- we have a fun match scheduled for tomorrow, gotta leave about 06:30 - if its NOT raining!! Thundering again now, had 1.74" of rain today. If this weather pattern keeps up we are gonna be up to our ears in snow!!
Back when direct current was still being sent out over the wires by Edison's electric company, on a damp night you could see the power lines glowing. It was the electricity being bled off into the atmosphere. That was why direct current had to have power stations within 50 to 100 miles of you. Much farther and the electricity wouldn't reach. Alternating current fixed that problem, and did it in spite of Edison's violent protests. Even alternating current can still bleed off a little power into the air, and enough high power lines in one area can cause fluorescent bulbs to glow without being connected to anything. If the power lines were direct current, the fluorescent bulbs would have been bright enough to see in daylight. Sorry about the topic drift.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Up at 0515. I'd kill for that. Except for weekends I'm up and out the door by 0330 hrs

There is a plus side this time of year. The Perseid meteor showers have started. Saw quite a few from downtown L.A. yesterday. Can't imagine how many I missed due to all the light pollution.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yeah I miss the meteor showers , seems like everytime they are around it's raining here. When I lived in CO ,6000 ft we saw all kinds of stuff burning up almost nightly.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

piller wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:43 pm
GunnyMack wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:03 pm I saw once a guy in Germany set up a bunch of florescent bulbs under high tension lines and they would glow at night.

Back when direct current was still being sent out over the wires by Edison's electric company, on a damp night you could see the power lines glowing. It was the electricity being bled off into the atmosphere. That was why direct current had to have power stations within 50 to 100 miles of you. Much farther and the electricity wouldn't reach. Alternating current fixed that problem, and did it in spite of Edison's violent protests. Even alternating current can still bleed off a little power into the air, and enough high power lines in one area can cause fluorescent bulbs to glow without being connected to anything. If the power lines were direct current, the fluorescent bulbs would have been bright enough to see in daylight. Sorry about the topic drift.
Power lines have an EM energy field that surrounds the conductors. The field is strong enough even at lower voltages to excite the mercury vapor inside a fluorescent tube causing the gas to emit photons which in turn cause the phosphor coating in the tube to fluoresce. I used to have a hand held voltage AC detector used for finding wiring inside walls that had a small fluorescent tube in it. Just sweep over the wall and over the path of the conductors and it would glow.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.