Never Easy.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Never Easy.

Post by .45colt »

My Daughter had to put down Her half Lab/Rottweiler mix Monday. Jackie was 80lbs of fun, quiet, and if She barked or growled there was a reason. Great Dog. old age caught up to Her like All of Us. I dug the grave in the 90* heat and felt honored to do so. several other Dogs have made there way to the same spot. Rest Well Jackie.
Long ago before the internet in My early 20's I was hooked on Sports Afield magazine. Gene Hill was a regular who wrote this. I tore it out and have the yellow pages framed..................Old Tom.

The Vet told him that the old setter might live another day or so and that the humane thing to do would be to put Him down. The old Man brushed his moustache with the back of his hand so that his fingers would cover up his eyes and said he didn't believe he was ready to do without Old Tom right now.
So the two of them shuffled out to the car and drove off together. Now the old man had a problem. It was the middle of March and bird season was long since closed . But more than he'd ever wanted anything in His life he wanted the dog to hear one more shot and feel the whirr of one more flush.
March or no, the old man took a vigil near the swamp that night and marked down two or three birds as they came into roost. And promptly at six the next morning the two gentlemen marched down together through the morning mist, as they had done countless times before. and as one of the hoped they would do countless times again in some other fields.
The play was faultless. Old Tom drew himself up proud as a puppy. The old man's shot was as true as a youngsters and the deed was done.
At the vet's a half hour later, his last bird cradled between his front feet , his nostrils filled with the scent of what He had lived for, Old Tom went to sleep.
The old man lets him rest up on a hillside facing the western sun...old folks appreciate the late afternoon warmth. And on the slate that marks the spot he scratched "Old Tom A Faithfull FRIEND FOR 12 FINE YEARS". On fair days, when no one is watching, the old man goes up to the slate on the hillside and sits in the sun with a glass of whiskey and talks about times past with Tom...
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Re: Never Easy.

Post by Paladin »

No words, in this dust storm
It is not the critic who counts
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I hear you friend.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

"Never Easy" says it all.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

No, never easy. Rest well Jackie. You earned it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sorry to hear the sad news. She sounds like a great dog.

jason
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Best dog I ever had was a Rott/Lab we called Precious and she was just that. Sorry for your loss.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Nope, not easy...

Yes, a tough day...

We had over 3,900+ "great days" with my wife's yellow lab, but that last "1 day" we said our goodbyes -- had all the hurt of 3,000 plus "bad days" all rolled into one..........

Old No7
Last edited by Old No7 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Sorry for your loss. :(
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

No it not ever easy.
My 13 yr old yellow lab, Dixie, has slowed down a lot and at times I look at her and say to myself just yesterday you brought her home, she has been through so much- pyometra, cancer in her eye, bad teeth, not to mention the 3 litters of puppies Winnie had.
Just remember the good times.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Gene Hill could put it all into words better than anyone else.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Losing a beloved dog is somehow worse than a beloved person.
I get misty when I read of somebody elses dog "going home".
My wonderful Thor has been gone for over three years and I'll still shed a tear.
Odie has been gone this afternoon for a few hours at the groomers, and I miss him already.
After you've gotten a good dog, you've voluntarily given away a huge hole in your heart that you know will be empty, and unfillable, someday far too soon.
God bless dogs and the people that love them.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

We lost our 3rd Yellow lab recently to old age and cancer. He was such a good friend, lived to be with us, never
growled, kept my wife aware if someone was around the place. He was Alf III, we were not going to get an Alf IV,
but after a few weeks we gave in bought a puppy, yellow lab of course and we are starting over. We are in our
early 70's, so this will likely be our last, our kids are grown up, and grandkids are living away, Alf IV is already
becoming our close friend, 5 months old now. I've said several times from the pulpit, I want to be like Alf III
when I grow up, so forgiving, so kind, and just loves a lot.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Sorry bud.......Blaine said it pretty good about dogs vs. people. The reason is because dogs are always happy to see us and give us their most where people ....even close relatives will burn ya for no reason other than to see you hurt........ My wife and I pretty much stay to ourselves with our dogs and cats. A couple of good close friends and the hell with everybody else.

Your buddy gave you his best and you give him your best...he was warm when he needed to be and I sure, a full belly with no worry about the next meal.......it's a damm shame they only live so long. Your not alone in your hurt. ....Six.
Model A Uzi’s
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

BlaineG wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:06 pm Losing a beloved dog is somehow worse than a beloved person.
Sixgun wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:57 pm Blaine said it pretty good about dogs vs. people. The reason is because dogs are always happy to see us and give us their most......
Thanks for sharing those comments guys!

My wife has felt "a little guilty" over these last few months when shedding a few more tears for her dog than her brother -- as she lost both of them within 24 hours back in early May......

Sure of the two, we'd rather have the brother back; but we only saw him 6 to 8 times a year. Since the dog lived with us, ate with us (but only her food), and even slept with us (taking half the bed!), she was always here 24x7. And if we would leave without her, we always had to plan for someone to be home in time. Or if she went with us, we had to check on temps and think about where we could park in the shade or for how long our errands would run. With her passing... There were SO MANY daily reminders of things she'd do, or things we'd do for her, etc., etc... Those moments prompted a lot of tears by my bride...

The above was my explanation for her "crying more for the dog" -- but she still left bad about it. However, your comments tell me "she's not alone" and I'll be sure to mention this post to her. Thanks guys for your sentiments, and to .45colt too, for being patient with all these comments on his posting. Sorry for your loss...

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

:cry: :cry: :cry: