Marlin Claw Extractor

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Marlin Claw Extractor

Post by Bronco »

Howdy,
This is touted as a more durable design than the original. I am not a purist so anything that make the rifle more reliable I am okay with. I know the original design has worked just fine for over hunerd yars, but. Any thoughts on this here part.

http://www.rangerpointstore.com/shop-al ... eed-issues

Thanks in advance
John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Re: Marlin Claw Extractor

Post by claybob86 »

Looks like a really nice part. Never had a problem with the stock extractor on mine, though.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The extractor on my 1894 pretty well just BROKE - all I did was - er - well - leave it in when I took off the barrel (twisting the barrel shears off the extractor)... :oops:

Luckily I had an extra (I try to buy easy-to-break and easy-to-lose parts for guns I like).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have several Marlin 1894's. The OEM parts work just fine. :D
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Have owned hundreds of Marlin lever guns and never broken an extractor. The present design dates back to about 130 years in the first Model 1889. So if it has never been changed it's likely working just fine.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I agree with the boys above.........having own countless Marlins I never had a problem except for a 336 that was questionable to begin with.

If your bored or just want something to do, I can't see where it would hurt. I do these things all the time....finding solutions to non existent problems.----6
Model A Uzi’s
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Two quotes come to mind.

A fool and his money are soon parted
and
There's a sucker born every minute.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I've had my 1894 Marlin 44 mag since new in 1976. I'm not a CAS shooter my rifle being a hunting rifle so I'm guessing hundreds of rounds not thousands but I'm still on my first extractor going strong. I've owned a model 36 and a model 336 which both suffered broken firing pins when purchased but extractors were fine. Are broken extractors a chronic problem in Marlins that I'm not aware of :?:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Thanks for the feed back.

I have not had any issues, but wanted to check the wisdom found here about the extractor. I did not know if an improvement was needed or warranted. Like I stated , the original had been around for longer than me, and I am almost as old as dirt :mrgreen:

Guess I will pass on this item!

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I currently have a couple Marlins :shock: and have had a fairly large number of them over the last three decades. I have never had a problem with an extractor in any marlin. If it was me, I would spend the money, on a spare EJECTOR, and a firing pin set. Good luck. Great firearms.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Those Guy's at RPP are a cutting edge group. I was wondering why there have been changes to their webpage as of late. Now I see they are booked into 2019 with work. They long advertised the .36 RPP Levergun built on a Marlin action using .35 Whelan brass , with some pretty impressive numbers all at reasonable pressure limits. If I were 30 years younger I would have ordered one. https://www.rangerpointprecision.com/ma ... n-to-36rpp
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

.45colt wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:36 pm Those Guy's at RPP are a cutting edge group. I was wondering why there have been changes to their webpage as of late. Now I see they are booked into 2019 with work. They long advertised the .36 RPP Levergun built on a Marlin action using .35 Whelan brass , with some pretty impressive numbers all at reasonable pressure limits. If I were 30 years younger I would have ordered one. https://www.rangerpointprecision.com/ma ... n-to-36rpp
That is impressive, but I've always wondered, instead of all the work modifying and lengthening the action, why companies don't just MAKE a new action - it seems like it would be less overall work, and allow even more freedom of engineering. Is it due to 'regulations' or something, or is it really harder to make a new receiver and parts than it is to modify an existing receiver and make or modify a bunch of new parts for it...???
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Doc, In a thread that was running on Marlin owners I told them just that. make a new larger 1895 size action that would easily handle all the big bore common rounds. One could only Hope. 8) .