I couldn't help it!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

I couldn't help it!!!

Post by 2ndovc »

An older gentleman that is a friend of a friend offered to sell me this unfired, new in the box Davidson's / Turnbull special edition Super Blackhawk for about half of what he paid for it. I couldn't say no, and offered to pay more than what he was asking. He told me that he didn't care about the $, just that it was going to someone that would appreciate it. I found out later that it was just too heavy for him.

The factory laminated grips have to go though. I have a spare set of Old Model SBH grips but they just didn't fit right, a bit too small and big gaps. I'd like to make it look as much like my Old Model as I can. We'll see if it shoots on Monday, if it does I think I'll send it off to Mr. Bowen for some new sights, maybe blue the hammer and trigger too.

Anyway, here's the glam shot. :D The case colors on my Old Model have faded a bit over the last 15 years. But it's still a beauty!

Can't have enough .44s!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I couldn't help it!!!

Post by Pitchy »

Cool beans jb, ya have some nice shooters. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Unfired, NIB and your gonna SHOOT it? Good for you! :mrgreen:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

OK Jason.....now your SMOKIN'!!!! You have good taste on the many guns you buy, but on this one, you have fabulous taste.
Well done! There's just somethin' about a nice single action revolver. (Can I have it?)

I'll go a step further and suggest that Ruger would look extremely classy with a set of elephant ivories with the black eagle Ruger emblem. (Don't forget about giving it to me)----6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Jason whatever you do dont give it to Six, keep it for yourself and send ME your old one :D !( great colors)
Great find , that gentleman found the right caretaker for his revolver!
Please let us know how it shoots!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

WOW!!
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:49 pm Jason whatever you do dont give it to Six, keep it for yourself and send ME your old one :D !( great colors)
Great find , that gentleman found the right caretaker for his revolver!
Please let us know how it shoots!
Ha, the Old Model has barely been out of my sight since I got it back! It sleeps on my night stand and when I get up for my 35' commute to my office it goes with me. :D It's a bit big for a CCW, but I was at my cabin in PA a couple of weeks ago and it never left my side. Even had a little incident that I wouldn't detail online, but there's nothing like the roar of a .44 Magnum to end a hostile situation. :wink: No people involved, but let's say an aggressive forest creature wasn't about to get my little dog.

jb 8)

Jack,
If I drop dead before you do, it's all yours! :D

Claybob,
I can't stand having a gun around that I haven't fired. Just ain't right!

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes I understand the critters trying to get OUR critters!
We have yotes and bears here, hardly see the yotes but you can bet even money on seeing bears. That's why my 41 mag BH lives near the back door.
Seeing those 2 color cased frames I'm tempted to call Turnbull!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Those are some good looking pistols. Yes, they should be put to the purpose for which they were built. An unfired gun in perfect working order is a sad thing.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

"Can't have enough .44s!"

I have to concur.... Though there was a time, almost a decade at least, even on this esteemed site, post popular linebaugh and seyfried magazine articles, that there was an obvious pro .45 colt +p peer pressure and to admit a preference for the .44 magnum would get you derided....

I have to admit an, at least, aesthetic preference to the dragoon style triggerguard as well.....But practically it doesn't agree....people wonder why the knuckle on the middle finger of my right hand is the size of a walnut.....you should see the puzzled look on their faces when I tell them bill ruger and hercules 2400 and wheel weights are to blame.....
m.A.g.a. !
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well, as you know, I've been quite clear about what I think of your SBH.
I'm so surprised.....and happy, you found a replacement so you can send me the old one! :D
Thanks, buddy!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt which gets loaded hot and heavy on occasion. I have a Super Blackhawk which gets loaded hot on occasion. They are both great guns in great calibers. The .44 is scoped. The 4 5/8ths inch barrel on the .45 makes it handy for carrying with a rifle. The .44 is handy for hunting without a rifle. Is one better than the other? More opinions than facts on that question. No matter. I like them both.

Neither one is as good looking as your pistols, but they shoot beautifully.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have 7 1/2"s in both those guns. Personal preference I say. No appreciable difference in performance. I also have shorter versions of each. The 4 5/8" .45 is the handiest. A three screw with the aluminum grip frame has the easiest balance.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have 7 1/2"s in both those guns. Personal preference I say. No appreciable difference in performance. I also have shorter versions of each. The 4 5/8" .45 is the handiest. A three screw with the aluminum grip frame has the easiest balance.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Though I like the look of the steel grip frames better, I think they balance better for shooting with the aluminum.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I have a brass grip frame on my 41 BH. I found the original aluminum to be painful with full house ammo. For me the added weight made the 4&5/8" seem more tame with brass frame. Plus it looks much nicer all polished up!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

OldWin wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:16 am Well, as you know, I've been quite clear about what I think of your SBH.
I'm so surprised.....and happy, you found a replacement so you can send me the old one! :D
Thanks, buddy!
:D I'll send it right over! :D

Ray,

I totlally agree with what you say There was a time that nothing short of a .454 /.460/ .500 S&W could possibly be considered a proper woods gun. Never bought into that. For most of my teenage years and 20s, a 1911A1 was my only trail gun.
I have two favorite loads for my .44s, 10.5 Grains of Unique/240 LSWCGC and 23 Gr. W 296 with a 240 Gr. Jacketed Soft Point or HP for the slightly larger problems.

Here's my other .44s, an early Model 29 ( no dash) and one of the special addition Ruger SBH revolvers from last year. I have to say though, that short grip frame is a stinker! If I try to shoot it with two hands the bottom of the grip digs into my off hand something fierce. Its downright painful with heavy loads. Shooting one handed isn't so bad but that thing sure does make an impression. :shock:

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks, Jason! I always said you were one of the good ones!😁
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

OldWin wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:37 pm Thanks, Jason! I always said you were one of the good ones!😁
:evil: :evil: :evil: I knew it!!!!! That guy with the Buffalo coat moved right on in with my near stealings from Jason....He was almost ready to send the gun to me when this northern hombre snuck on through the back door.

Anyway...the model 29 with the diamond stocks......I notice it has the early high polish blue...4 screw? "S" serial number no doubt. (When you send me the Ruger can you put that model 29 in the same box...and don't tell that Yanky from Maine-----your loyal friend----Jack
Model A Uzi’s
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Yep, S prefix and complete with mahogany box and tools. My uncle bought it new back when they hit the market. He gave it to me about 20 years ago along with two boxes of Browning .44 Magnums that he'd bought the same day. He fired 12 rounds through it and put it away. With a 240 grain bullet it will cloverleaf at 25 yards if I do my part.

By the way, about that guy from Maine. You know the farther north you go the sneakier us Yankee's get! :D

jb 8)

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

It's true! How do you think I got outta Six's place with half a pickup load of stuff!

And I got dibs on that Ruger, Six. :D
I missed the Smith........that's not like me. Must be slippin.