"Hostiles"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

"Hostiles"

Post by jd45 »

Happy New Year To All! My brother & I saw it today. We both liked it, & I would recommend you give it a look. One complaint I have, re technical stuff is that, it being set in 1892, I think I read that, is this ...........I saw no evidence of black powder smoke when rifles, (1873), and Colt SAAs were fired, To my knowledge, smokeless powder, which you're given to understand is being used in their cartridges, because of minimal smoke, isn't used for a couple of years yet. While I enjoyed hearing the sounds of the gunfire, ( the same sound effects as in Ed Harris' "Appaloosa"), I think it (the BP smoke) would've authenticated the time period. I admit this is a minor point, but because I'm interested in this sort of thing, it matters to me. Do any of you think I should get a life???? Thanx for your input, jd45
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: "Hostiles"

Post by JerryB »

I am looking forward to seeing it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I too am looking forward to seeing it.
Lack of authentic BP smoke is a shame but if some sort of blank is being used it's better than completely dubbed gunfire, I've watched movies when full auto fire produces no spent shells :?
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Let's face facts-
Hollywood SCREWS up everything!
They always screw up gun stuff, airplane stuff, heck everything technical! Not to mention each & every person that's part of it!!
i don't pay for movie tickets, haven't in probably 10 years, I wait for movies to come out on cable.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

What Gunny said +1.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Hollyweird used to use 5 in 1 blanks that had the orange flash and white smoke that was a good simulation of BP ammo. Have they gone to something else?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Watched the old Bogart movie "Passage to Marseilles" the other night.

Started out with Bogart as a waist gunner on a French bomber, standing behind an M2.

Didn't see the changing handle on that thing move once while he was fightin' off the German interceptors.

But his aim a s a Bombardier was almost perfect. Dropped that love note within a few feet of his wife from about 500ft.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

M.M. Wright, I guess they must have, judging by what I saw, or rather didn't see, coming from the muzzles of those firearms. jd45
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:55 am I too am looking forward to seeing it.
Lack of authentic BP smoke is a shame but if some sort of blank is being used it's better than completely dubbed gunfire, I've watched movies when full auto fire produces no spent shells :?

+1
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm looking forward to seeing it. I'll probably get it as soon as it comes out in the little 4K box. I don't let little details deter my enjoyment of a good story. I do make note of them, and if the story doesn't overcome those niggling details... I certainly won't watch it again. The prop master apparently doesn't know his armorer is an idiot. Or the producers wouldn't pop for BP blanks...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

FWiedner wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:07 pm Watched the old Bogart movie "Passage to Marseilles" the other night.
Started out with Bogart as a waist gunner on a French bomber, standing behind an M2.
:lol:
Yup. I noticed the same things. Still not a bad Bogey movie, but they could watch more of the details.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I don't mean to lead this thread, (my own) astray, however speaking of Bogie, I remember watching "Key Largo", and in the scenes where he & Eddie G. Robinson were shooting at each other on the boat, the 1st scene shows Bogie shooting with a nickel-plated auto pistol, then they show Eddie G. shooting at him, then when they show Bogie again, he's got a BLUE pistol, then they show Eddie again, & when they go back to Bogie again, he's got the nickel-plated pistol for the last time, finishing off Eddie. HOLLYWOOD!!!! They drive me crazy!!!!!! Like I said, I really liked the sound effects of gunfire in this movie, BUT I think it would've added something to it to have used BP blanks for that time period. Of course, most of the people watching were completely unaware of what we are regarding firearms of that period & propellants used. OK, I'll get down from my soapbox now, but I reiterate, the movie is worth a look. jd45
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Back on topic -- and back to the top!

Saw "Hostiles" last night, as I was out of town on business for Valentine's Day night, so why NOT spend it with a western?

Liked the storyline, cast, acting and scenery, but OMG -- did it drag......... Moved way too slooooooooooooooow for my tastes.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to go and see "12 Strong" to see mounted cowboys!!! :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I think if you used gen-u-wine BP loads on a movie set you'd have the same problem that Civil War commanders had -- zero visibility on the battlefield! As for the sounds of gunfire, try recording some. In general, you get insignificant pops. If they didn't juice 'em up a bit, it'd seem pretty silly, like they were shooting cap pistols.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

I saw it the other night. I was ready to love it, I had been waiting to see it for a while. The basic premise was great.

(As for guns, I noticed the main characters having Winchester 73's instead of Springfield rifles, which were issue at that time I believe. They were in the army after all. )
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Noticing a dearth of any westerns let alone decent ones after seeing the trailers for this movie I decided to watch it, and I have no regrets. I really enjoyed the story, the acting, the cinematography. Sure if I want to I could nitpick any movie to death. Hey, one of my favorite WWII movies "Saving Private Ryan" has more holes than cheap Swiss cheese. BUT... as a whole I enjoyed and would recommend this movie. Anyone here seen "Bone Tomahawk"? I heard it's good but not from any real western aficionados.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Ji in Hawaii wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:16 am Noticing a dearth of any westerns let alone decent ones after seeing the trailers for this movie I decided to watch it, and I have no regrets. I really enjoyed the story, the acting, the cinematography. Sure if I want to I could nitpick any movie to death. Hey, one of my favorite WWII movies "Saving Private Ryan" has more holes than cheap Swiss cheese. BUT... as a whole I enjoyed and would recommend this movie. Anyone here seen "Bone Tomahawk"? I heard it's good but not from any real western aficionados.
I have watched Bone Tomahawk it's a bit weird but I kinda enjoyed it :?
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

gamekeeper wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:32 am
Ji in Hawaii wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:16 amNoticing a dearth of any westerns let alone decent ones after seeing the trailers for this movie I decided to watch it, and I have no regrets. I really enjoyed the story, the acting, the cinematography. Sure if I want to I could nitpick any movie to death. Hey, one of my favorite WWII movies "Saving Private Ryan" has more holes than cheap Swiss cheese. BUT... as a whole I enjoyed and would recommend this movie. Anyone here seen "Bone Tomahawk"? I heard it's good but not from any real western aficionados.
+1.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I did not like Bone Tomahawk AT ALL. I'm not usually sensitive to violence, but this one was disturbing and some of the violence was really not needed.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I didn't really care for either movie. Bone Tomahawk was just kinda weird and not real "western" IMO. Hostles seemed like it was just another SJW story about how horrible the white man was/is toward natives.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

To be fair, I'm not sure you could make an honest western involving Indians where the white people were not horrible to the natives. That was the fundamental lie of Dances with Wolves, that white people being nasty to Indians was the exception. You read from the period, and they hated Indians...

Bone tomahawk was weird, but I enjoyed it. Hostiles was fine until the Christian Bale and his ex indian fighters changed sides and started shooting white ranchers. That is just unbelievable. There is no way anyone in those days is shooting white civilians to help an indian. In any situation. Those men hated native americans and never stopped their whole lives.

Also they would have been using Springfield trapdoors, not Winchesters.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

The time frame for the movie was 1892, and many soldiers had purchased rifles of their own, so it is not so far fetched for them to have winchester 73's.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Griff wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:43 am
Ji in Hawaii wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:16 amNoticing a dearth of any westerns let alone decent ones after seeing the trailers for this movie I decided to watch it, and I have no regrets. I really enjoyed the story, the acting, the cinematography. Sure if I want to I could nitpick any movie to death. Hey, one of my favorite WWII movies "Saving Private Ryan" has more holes than cheap Swiss cheese. BUT... as a whole I enjoyed and would recommend this movie. Anyone here seen "Bone Tomahawk"? I heard it's good but not from any real western aficionados.
+1.
I have friend who is well-read on the subject, and he is of the opinion that "Bone Tomahawk" is the most accurate depiction of American Indians that he's ever seen.

:?
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

FWiedner wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:00 pm
Griff wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:43 am
+1.
I have friend who is well-read on the subject, and he is of the opinion that "Bone Tomahawk" is the most accurate depiction of American Indians that he's ever seen.

:?
Ditto for Apocalypto. "The Son" also portrays indian savagery realistically.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Having gone about eight leagues in the evening, the indians took one of their captives of another tribe and kindled a fire, each taking brands and made this wretch suffer the greatest torment. They tore out his nails and applied coals to his membrum virile. When he regained conciousness they scalped him then dropped melted fat onto the crown of his head. Then they pierced his arms near the wrists and with sticks pulled out sinews by main force then finally severing the whole limbs. This poor wretch bore the torment admiraly. They begged me to join them in the torture.I ended his torment with my arquebus....

Samuel de Champlain 30 July 1609.

The offenders were algonquin, huron, and montagnais and their victim was iroquois and champlain makes it clear in the same passage not included here that if the table was turned, the iroquois would have done the same or worse.
m.A.g.a. !
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

veeman wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:51 am The time frame for the movie was 1892, and many soldiers had purchased rifles of their own, so it is not so far fetched for them to have winchester 73's.
I find it difficult to beleive a soldier would be allowed to carry anthing but his issue long arm. Tactics are built around the soldier's weapon and logistics demand everyone use the same ammunition. I could see a scout carrying most anything and sidearms could be another story.