Round Counts

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Round Counts

Post by jeepnik »

Every now and then I see someone post that x number of rounds have been fired through a particular firearm. Myself, I've never bothered to keep count. About the only record keeping I do is to record things like manufacturer, model, caliber and serial number. And, I keep records of loads that have worked out well and in which firearm they worked for.

So the questions is do you keep count of the rounds you've put through a firearm?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Round Counts

Post by J Miller »

Yes, I keep a record of every round fired through all my center fires. Rim fires, no. I also keep track of weather the ammo is factory, what brand, or reloads and what load they were.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Shoot one or more of murbach's guns and neglect to put the tally marks on the proper yellow legal pad and he'll call both you and your momma a bad name at the same time....
m.A.g.a. !
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Heck no!
Life is too busy and too short to count bullets fired in practice. The only time for that is when refining handloads and then shots should be recorded.

Of course, I never forget shots fired at big game when actually hunting. But I do not write them down.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Some I do, most of the rifles and a couple handguns. 5,000+ through a Springfield 1911, 6,000+ through a Model 24 Smith. A few rifles with 1,000 to 1,450.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

With .22's I try to keep track in my head of the number of cases fired. :lol:

Beginning to lose track now with the approach of geezerhood.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Depends on how much an individual is "into guns". When it comes to bragging rights, you had better know what your talking about and without organization you cannot gain knowledge to the highest level. Well, not necessarily bragging rights but some people just like knowledge...like me.....the more knowledge you have the higher you can climb. I can tell you what guns from the 1870's on are durable and what parts are prone to break or wear. Plus, it's nice to let a future buyer know the honest condition of a gun you have for sale. In addition to every round I fire, I have another index card which shows the velocity of every load fired in that particular gun and what load is best and the velocity and the standard deviation of each load.

I've never been told I don't know what I'm talking about. (Yea, braggin. :D )

This is the German half of me.....when I blow up a gun the Italian half takes over.

I also record every round of ammo I make. I started reloading in '72 and have kept records since 1981.---6

Spread sheet from 1981. From this I can tell what caliber and how many I loaded in that year.
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well.........
I definitely DON'T know what I'm talking about. :shock:
I keep a record of handloads. But it's usually written on post-it notes tucked in the pages of loading manuals.
Oh! And I label all my handloaded ammo boxes, except things like .45ACP. I just pour it by the bucket into ammo cans. It's all the same load.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Six, you got me on the SD. But, here are a couple of typical pages from my reloading and rifle records, the rifle, a 6mm Rem in a Ruger 77.

I record what I consider to be pertinent data.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

No, on some of my guns I know within a few dozen or so, but generally I find it boring and unnecessary. Plus a lot of my guns are we're preowned and I can't know what went through them before me. I just clean, fix or replace as I need to.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

OK OS, I just rolled outta bed...11:00 AM...whew! 10 hours :D .......checked in and realized I lied a little. I only do the standard deviation for "important "working" guns" such as .257 R., .308...blah...blah.

I like your play load for the 44 Spl....7 of 231....it what I settled on....you know what they say, "great minds think alike" :D ---6
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

OK Six, I have done SD on loads I am particularly interested in for hunting. And, I did it when I was trying to determine if just doing volume vs weighing each charge for a .270 made any difference - it appeared not to. But then I am just trying to get an inch or better at 100 yds.

As for favorite powder for the .44 Spl lite ... right now it would be American Select. As you can see I tried a lot. The most accurate was 12.5 gr. 2400 in my 6 1/2" Model 24.which is what all those loads were shot in.

Almost any shotgun powder will shoot reasonably well in that gun.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I never worried about that stuff....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

No...not really. Most of my firearms are pre-owned as mentioned above so no way to tell round count. Guns I've bought new I might be able to give a rough guess how many shots it's fired.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Of all the junk I’ve had over the years the ONLY one I keep or have kept a running tally on is my 26 Nosler . I think I’m around 180-190 rounds . Initially they claimed the barrel on one of these was toast after 900 or so shots , I plan to find out if that’s the case or not !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nope. Even when I had time... it was too much like the work I did... I was reloading and shooting for FUN! I do workups on guns to compare to other guns of the same chambering... with the aim to settle on one load, (never has happened)... but have found a couple of loads that work very well in multiple guns. Reloads are always marked when boxed. The loads I use most are kept in ammo cans... and definitely marked... "45ACP" and "45 Colt"... wouldn't want any confusion, ya know!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

Nope, I keep records of my reloads but that's so I know what loads I've found that shoot the best out of a particular gun. Once the load is settled I don't bother keeping records so strictly but it gives me something to go back and compare to if accuracy falls of someday (hasn't happened to me yet). If I had a purpose build very accurate long range type rifle I'd be more strict on keeping data on it though.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I had a log for my issue Match rifles that was fairly accurate The M-14 was re-barreled after so many rounds and maintenance was done at Depo on a quarterly rotation. The Match M-16A2 not so much except the match logs.
My own rifles I have three Styers. One model 69 in 7.62x51 I got used that I do not log. The .300 Win Mag I have a log for shot placement and round count (as I got it New}, and the same for the Styer .50 BMG after I received it.
Sorry my photo posting capabilities are broken currently)
It is not the critic who counts