Long vs Short Barrel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Long vs Short Barrel

Post by t.r. »

Although I occasionally hunt with the long barreled Marlin, I generally reach for my Mossberg when going on a wild hog hunt here in Florida. This is the model 464 featuring a 16 inch barrel and Marine-coat finish. Handling is superb for me! I know that there is a velocity loss factor but have not detected any difference in killing power or accuracy from the shorter barrel. However it is noticeably louder when a round is touched off.

TR

Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Long vs Short Barrel

Post by marlinman93 »

I've always preferred longer barrels, and never found them a hindrance, regardless of hunting conditions.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I always preferred the shorter carbine and trapper length barrels. I live out in the desert so there isn't really any place where brush is going to be in my way with a longer barrel and with irons the longer barrels give me a longer sight radius, I just prefer the look of the shorter barrels.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I prefer shorter barrels but yes I find noise is a factor.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I tend to go with shorter barrels. The difference ballistically between longer and shorter is insignificant. The animal isn't going to know if it was shot with a 20" vs a 24" barrel. Shot placement is much more important that a few fps.

The loudness of the report is generally higher on sorter barrels. But, now that I'm already half deaf I finally figured out there are comfortable and unobtrusive devices that cancel the noise of a gun short while amplifying ambient sounds.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I forgot to say, great photos thanks for sharing.... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've found, over the years, that some guns just handle better than others with either a longer (24+) or shorter (16") barrel, and choose according to my druthers.

Although YMMV, I prefer short barrels on short-actions (pistol cartridge length) with straight-gripped stocks, & longer barrels with pistol grip stocks on long-actions (.30-30/.405).

Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

The velocity loss probably averages no more than 100 fps, and the chance any animal shot with it will know the difference is nil. The shorties sure are handy.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

t.r. wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:12 pm I know that there is a velocity loss factor but have not detected any difference in killing power or accuracy from the shorter barrel. However it is noticeably louder when a round is touched off.
You might find the short barrel possibly having an accuracy advantage. I like long barrels when velocity is needed like in a varmint rifle, but short barrels for pure accuracy. A shorter barrel sometimes has less accuracy robbing flex.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Short barrels may be easier to hold steady for some folks (or not), too.

The IDEAL levergun for my taste would have a short, but integrally-suppressed, barrel for the best of both worlds. They'd be commonplace were it not for NFA'34... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I like long and short. The 16" trappers are a joy to carry.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I like carrying a rifle by the grip so if the barrel is short enough to clear the ground when carried this way I like it. That is why my Browning 86 SRC is cut off 3"s or so. Exact same length as a 20" barreled 94 carbine. Greatest loss for me is the sight radius being shorter. I have 3 94s with 26" barrels and really appreciate the longer sight radius they have.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

t.r. wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:12 pm Although I occasionally hunt with the long barreled Marlin, I generally reach for my Mossberg when going on a wild hog hunt here in Florida. This is the model 464 featuring a 16 inch barrel and Marine-coat finish. Handling is superb for me! I know that there is a velocity loss factor but have not detected any difference in killing power or accuracy from the shorter barrel. However it is noticeably louder when a round is touched off.

TR
My Favorite Rifle has a 6 1/2" barrel. I have shot a lot of deer with it and never noticed any difference between it with a good hit and the longer rifles, even though velocity is quite a bit less.

765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

It has been noted that 26 inch barrels do not seem to be a hindrance in the grouse and woodcock thickets.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I like long barrels because I shoot iron sights, and long barrels give me a longer sighting radius. Velocity doesn't matter for my uses.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/