"100 Years Ago Today", A Great Man Was Born...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

"100 Years Ago Today", A Great Man Was Born...

Post by Old No7 »

My Dad would have been 100 today, but he passed 10.5 years ago.....................

He sure loved his wife, my mother:
Mom & Dad Wedding Pix.jpg

And his 4 boys:
Mom & Dad with 4 Boys.jpg

And his occupation:
Dad with Keys - old.jpg
Dad cutting keys.jpg

And his service with the 4th Fighter Group WWII:
Dad at Dispersal WWII.jpg
Dad in Cockpit WWII.jpg

And especially his single shot rifles!
Dad at DF&G Range.JPG

Sure wish he was still around today........................

But I really think he'd read the papers, listen to the news and all the political diatribe for just 1 day and say "Screw this, it's worse than I ever thought it would get -- I'm going back to heaven!"

RIP Dad. You are lovingly missed by all!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Old No7 on Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: "100 Years Ago Today", A Great Man Was Born...

Post by gamekeeper »

I for one will always be thankful for his service, the world he fought for is certainly very different.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

A sad day that should bring a smile to your face. Sorrow that he is gone, and a smile that he was here, and that YOU were lucky enough to have him for a Dad.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

They truly were the greatest generation.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Incredible, your dad was 28 days older than my dad, who was born on 30 July 1918 (in Astoria, OR). He died just 2 years ago, he made it to almost 98. He spent his WWII time in the Navy.

Was your dad a pilot or perhaps a crew chief ?? I see the sargeant stripes on his sleeve, but I'm unsure if he's one of the "flying sargeants" I've read about.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

A dad to be proud of and look up to for sure. Looks like quite a guy.
I can see why you miss him so.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

new pig hunter wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:24 pm Was your dad a pilot or perhaps a crew chief ?? I see the sargeant stripes on his sleeve, but I'm unsure if he's one of the "flying sargeants" I've read about.
Thanks for asking... My dad was a proud "Ground Pounder" (aircraft maintenance) who, as Flight Chief for A Flight of 3-3-5 Fighter Squadron, kept all the Crew Chiefs and crews in line to keep the birds flying. He enlisted the day after the attack on Pearl.

They truly were "The Greatest Generation".

God knows how the millennials would react to such an event today....................

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yep.....those guys were true patriots who loved this country.

Must be something about guys born in the beginning of July...extreme greatness comes from guys born from July 1-5th....my bd---6
Model A Uzi’s
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

God Bless Him and all of those Guys. Great pic's and story. My Mom and Dad were both Army vets in WW2. My Mom was a registered Nurse. Dad quit school in the depression, went to work digging ditches pick & shovel for five years before the war. The look on Dad's face when he talked about boot camp I'll never forget. " It was a country club...got paid to exercise , run, shoot the rifle, even eat...never saw so much food in My LIFE. the first time running with the boots on Dad ran with the D.I. and He said " I can see You didn't spend Your life in school". between basic and advanced training Dad gained 24 lbs. of weight. I Miss Him and All of the Old Guys.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My Uncle Cecil A Casady, born in 1916, died in 2017, was a flight Sergeant in B24J Liberators in the South Pacific. For a while he was based on Fiji. On Fiji, they went armed the whole time. Cannibalism was not yet outlawed among the natives there. He flew more than enough missions to be rotated home, and stayed a little longer than required. More than once he brought a severely damaged plane back to base. He named his plane "My aching back". It was an oddly common name on B24 bombers. Apparently they were not a smooth ride. Once he was hit by a Japanese Zero on the runway and didn't make it off the ground. Another time his right wing fell off just after touchdown on the return from a bombing mission. He had to belly land once when his landing gear was ruined from being shot up. He often claimed that his plane wanted to make it home even when it was so shot up that it really shouldn't have made it. He once said that by the time he rotated home, there wasn't a single piece of the plane which hadn't been replaced due to battle damage.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

He obviously raised his kids RIGHT! :D