Ruger 96-44Magnum

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Ruger 96-44Magnum

Post by Ray Newman »

Colleagues: anyone here with any experience with the Ruger 96-44 Magnum lever?

I know of one that might come up for sale in the near future.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Ruger 96-44Magnum

Post by Panzercat »

Do want.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

One of my favorites.

Not 'traditional', but neither were Savage 99's, Winchester 88's, or Marlin 62's.

Slick action, short lever-throw, and the 4-shot box magazine is PLENTY for hunting, plus makes loading and unloading in a deerstand or if crossing a road very easy and fast, even with winter gloves on.

Easy to scope, great for a red-dot or holographic sight, and I believe the NECG 'Ruger Rings' aperture sight mounts on it, or you can get a Williams aperture for it. The regular 'irons' aren't bad - same front bead as a Marlin, and a better tear (obstructs less view).

The 20:1 twist is nice too, in that it should stabilize heavier bullets than competitors; I've shot 180, 200, 240, 265, and 300 grain factory loads without any issues. Mine is easy to hit the 4" gong with at 100 yards with 9x scope and rest, so plenty good for hunting. I usually just load 240 grain JSPs.

Also if I get in heavy rain or snow gets all over it, I don't have to undo a bunch of screws and take it all apart so I can get the fr%&$k@! forend off the magazine tube so it doesn't rust; the one-piece stock comes off like a Ruger 10/22.

I wish they made 'em in 45 Colt, 480 Ruger, and/or 32-20.... :|
Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Every time I see topic about 96’s or lights on lever’s, I think of WKRP in Cincinnati when when Dr. Johnny fever flips the switch and says: The Dr. is in and I have your CURE! Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

20-1 now that's a fast twist
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I always wanted Ruger to make a 96 in .22 Hornet.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

To me this would be the perfect levergun with the addition of checkering, sturdier sights, tang safety, and something different than the 10-22/ No. 3 buttplate and barrel band.....a n d a $400 price tag !
m.A.g.a. !
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I've hunted with my Ruger 96 since I bought it in 1998. It shoots all weights of bullets quite well. This group was shot at 100 yards featuring Hornady ammo. But my favorite load for heavy cover is shooting the Speer 270 grain bullet. This particular load produced quite awful groups in my former Marlin 1894 model which is why I sold it.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

When they first came out I was going to buy one and I needed to make sure it would handle the Keith swc of which I'm fond of. I could be wrong but....if my memory serves me, the rotary mag was too short to contain the longer than normal ocl of the cast bullet if crimped in the proper spot. That was back in the nineties ? ----6
Model A Uzi’s
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The single thing that I didn't care for (also a gripe about my Mini-14 based 99/44 Deerfield autoloader) was the lack of a nice Walnut stock from the factory.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It's also nice to have a 96/22 in 22 LR (or 22 WMR or 17 HMR) as a companion/kid/training piece, since the heft and controls are the same.

Same with the Ruger bolt-actions - I treasure my 77/22 'all-weather' and its big-brother in 44 Mag.

All three formats of the rimfires swap magazines (even the 'drum' in the levergun :mrgreen: ), but unfortunately the 77/44 and 96/44 won't interchange magazines... :(
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Well, Ray...I'm not entirely sure because I've never shot one. When you get yours just drop it off for a couple years and I'll write up a good review for you. :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Yesterday, I called the seller about when it might be available. Right off the bat, I was told that it is a "very rare gun", hard to find, unique, etc., so no bargain or fire sale price.

He wants at least US $950.00 (not including his FFL fee and shipping) for it because it is so "rare" and unusual. So -- according to him -- probably around US $1050 - 1075 should cover everything.

As for description, rifle is at least 90% but with "minor dings and scratches" -- his words -- on the metal and the wood and "slight" rust on the barrel, but that would buff right out. Also includes "custom made" leather sling and swivels.

And of course, it was described as a "tack driver".

I replied that I was not interested at that price and good luck finding a buyer....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ray Newman wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:12 pm Yesterday, I called the seller about when it might be available. Right off the bat, I was told that it is a "very rare gun", hard to find, unique, etc., so no bargain or fire sale price.

He wants at least US $950.00 (not including his FFL fee and shipping) for it because it is so "rare" and unusual. So -- according to him -- probably around US $1050 - 1075 should cover everything.

As for description, rifle is at least 90% but with "minor dings and scratches" -- his words -- on the metal and the wood and "slight" rust on the barrel, but that would buff right out. Also includes "custom made" leather sling and swivels.

And of course, it was described as a "tack driver".

I replied that I was not interested at that price and good luck finding a buyer....
LMAO...That man is urinating down your back and telling you it's raining. Those are nice shooters/hunters/truck guns but nothing special.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yep. Mine's nice, and one of my favorites, but more 'hunting-accurate' than tack-driver, and not all that rare yet.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have been looking for one for a while, but the sellers who think that prices over $1,000 are going to happen are the reason I have not bought one yet. I hardly ever get to a gun show anymore, so I don't know if there have been any reasonably priced ones around. I may just pass on ever having one if those sellers don't come down a bit in price.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

I heard good things, was looking at one myself but prefer longer barrels on my guns. I did own a 99/22 WMR which was a good gun and very accurate for the type, rivalled some of my bolt actions.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

There was a time when I contemplated collecting 1 of each Ruger lever and semi. Then I thought about doing the 77/22 platform as well, needless to say I never did get too far, just a 10/22, 10/22mag and a 1968 vintage 44 carbine and a standard 77/22. Haven't even seen a 96 of any flavor on the racks!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

mickbr wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:42 am I heard good things, was looking at one myself but prefer longer barrels on my guns. I did own a 99/22 WMR which was a good gun and very accurate for the type, rivalled some of my bolt actions.
The bolt action 77/44 is a nice gun, and more available than the 96's.....don't know the price, but they quit making them recently as well, so it may go up rather than down for awhile. They also made them in 357 Mag.

mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

and whoops sorry meant 96/22 WMR not 99
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:58 pm
mickbr wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:42 am I heard good things, was looking at one myself but prefer longer barrels on my guns. I did own a 99/22 WMR which was a good gun and very accurate for the type, rivalled some of my bolt actions.
The bolt action 77/44 is a nice gun, and more available than the 96's.....don't know the price, but they quit making them recently as well, so it may go up rather than down for awhile. They also made them in 357 Mag.
A buddy had one of those in Hornet. I couldn't hardly miss with that little wonder.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV