D DAY 74 YEARS AGO TODAY

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

D DAY 74 YEARS AGO TODAY

Post by JerryB »

Some thing to think about in these times here in America.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: D DAY 74 YEARS AGO TODAY

Post by gamekeeper »

A lot of very brave men and women died for our freedom, now a lot of very stupid men and women want to take that freedom away.

Lest we forget.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

JerryB wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:09 am Some thing to think about in these times here in America.
Yes, and in Western Europe too I'd say!

A Day At The Beach.jpg

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Yepper, dern wars.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

My dad was a Navy crewman on an LST during the invasion. I have his military records, but he never talked about it while we were a family.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

A neighbor, Mister Cronan was at omaha beach.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_ylKgyRy7A
m.A.g.a. !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

You know, when a kid in the 50s and 60s, there were more than a few "just dads" in the neighborhood who were involved in Operation Overlord, but no one talked much about it like it was something terribly special. Of course, it seemed like all the dads had been in the war. I wasn't the only one playing army in the local backyards while wearing his father's issued Eisenhower jacket.
My appreciation grows with each passing day -- and there have been a lot of them.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

"Invasion: They're Coming," by Paul Carell

Post by Naphtali »

A book that few will have read is Invasion: They're Coming, by Paul Carell. This fascinating book is D-Day through the fall - that is, libration of - Paris from the Wehrmacht's [/i]point of view. It is written in the manner of Ryan's book with substantial input from surviving Wehrmacht staff and command officers. What intrigued me most was that despite several errors at the time, those interviewed believed strongly that the D-Day invasion through the first several days could have been - should have been - an Allied debacle.
Last edited by Naphtali on Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

On this day in 1944 my Dad was crossing the channel. Meanwhile his brother was on a ship heading for Saipan. A world apart, neither knowing the danger awaiting the other. So many families had such stories, yet it seems important, maybe even more important as time passes, to remember and thank God for such men.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
KeithNyst
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KeithNyst »

Eisenhower’s
letter to the D-day forces.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

KeithNyst wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:51 pm Eisenhower’s letter to the D-day forces.
Thanks for sharing that! I'd heard quotes from it over the years, but had never read it word-for-word as I did just now -- it "gave me chills", even as I sit in the comfort of my home office many thousands of miles away and 74 years later...

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That's quite a document, thanks for posting it.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

By coincidence I was watching operation Overlord on netflix WWII in colour not even realising the date!

Brave men that saved many. Imagine how the war may have turned out if Overlord failed.
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Tuesday, during our ship's reunion in New Orleans we (as a group), toured the WWII Museum there. It, in itself, was worth the drive down there. The time spent with former shipmates, and others who served aboard her at different times during her service (1959-1982), was refreshing. We talked of other shipmates who we missed and would like to know what became of them, ate meals, enjoyed a few adult beverages, and generally enjoyed the freedom to be able to do so.

If you haven't seen the museum... I highly recommend it. We were there for 5 hours... and I didn't get to see it all. It covers 5 buildings, all stuffed full of memorabilia, there's a great film on the war, with an introduction by Tom Hanks. Our group (along with many other civilians), filled the theater. It's located downtown, near the French Quarter, with LOTS of great hotels and restaurants nearby. Did I say I really, really recommend it?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Griff, I'm sure that was a great time and seeing all the sights.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

On medcruise 1987 while in uncle's yacht club i could not finagle the 3 days off for the welfare and recreation tour to Paris and Normandy which included a visit to two of our cemeteries ....but when in Tunisia i did get to see the North African Campaign cemetery at carthage......sombre and eerie even on a bright sunny day with no background noise from birds or insects.....absolute quiet......

MR 1 Jaansen had bought a bottle of absinthe and had a psychotic break of sorts on the bus ride back and conversed with the "black dog" most of the way.....It was kind of spooky!
m.A.g.a. !
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Almost forgot to mention that my son served on the USS Normandy, CG 60 from 2012 to 2016.....
m.A.g.a. !
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:29 am A lot of very brave men and women died for our freedom, now a lot of very stupid men and women want to take that freedom away.

Lest we forget.
+1

My Uncle was there - Omaha Beach on D-Day. He's still with us!

This was an interview of him 5 years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsBwQWvrA7I