Jeepin' pics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Jeepin' pics

Post by OldWin »

Our Jeep club does a lot of rides and benefits. Veterans organizations, LE, FD, and some scenic rides. We usually just go on the tougher wheeling trips. This last weekend, we decided to tag along on one of the "stocker friendly" rides to meet some different members. It was a two day ride visiting different waterfalls and was in our neck of the woods, so we tagged along. We had a great time. We brought our dog, Zoey, cause she loves Jeepin'.
I know it's off topic, but some guys here have Jeeps and everyone likes pretty country.....
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Re: Jeepin' pics

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

WOW great pictures, I especially like the old bridge for some reason. Nice Jeeps! I used to own a 1989 Jeep Wrangler Which I installed a suspension lift kit myself. I was thinking of installing a rear locker but it sure was a capable offroader as is. I sure do miss the thing. Living on an smallish urbanized island (O'ahu) I basically ran out of trails to explore, and with so many trails getting closed I decided to sell. Then I moved to Maui which has many miles of Jeep trails, and I wished I kept her. Had to move back to O'ahu after 12 years on Maui so back to square one. Keep these Jeep adventure posts coming, and I shall live my Jeep dreams vicariously through your posts. Thanks!
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Good Stuff! I keep looking at old CJ7s. I'll bag the right one when I see it. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thank you. I've had a Jeep, or two, or three, my whole life. Mine is the blue TJ Rubicon on the bridge. Thats a wire bridge, and it makes a "wave" when you drive across. It's just a few miles from my house. It's really neat, quite old, and a pretty spot.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

2ndovc wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:22 pm Good Stuff! I keep looking at old CJ7s. I'll bag the right one when I see it. :D

jb 8)
My first Jeep was a 59 Willys CJ5. I still have a sift spot for the oldies.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

At the range.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Old Savage wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:40 pm At the range.
Jeepin and shootin. Don't get no better. :D
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Cool beans buddy and great pictures looks like good time. 8)
What`s Kristy and the dog looking for ?
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks buddy. Looking for a path where they don't go tumbling down through the rocks off the mountain. :D
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

OldWin wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:25 pm
2ndovc wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:22 pm Good Stuff! I keep looking at old CJ7s. I'll bag the right one when I see it. :D

jb 8)
First set of wheels was a '79 CJ7 with the inline 258 and a three speed. I could make that thing stand up and howl! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Jeeps and pretty country, what's not to like? ......... :mrgreen:

I've never had a Jeep but have had 3 Landrovers.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Love the pics.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Just about anybody would enjoy that water/falls, AND that suspension bridge ! . :)

Thanks for taking & posting the pics !

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

2ndovc wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:42 pm
OldWin wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:25 pm

jb 8)
First set of wheels was a '79 CJ7 with the inline 258 and a three speed. I could make that thing stand up and howl! :D

jb 8)
Thats one if the best combos Jeep ever fielded.
gamekeeper wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:48 pm Jeeps and pretty country, what's not to like? ......... :mrgreen:

I've never had a Jeep but have had 3 Landrovers.
I love the old series 1 Rovers. They go really well. I read one time that the series 1 was the first motor vehicle seen by one third of the earths population. That is an incredible testament IMO.

Thanks guys! The pics just don't do it justice.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I agree that old landrovers, and Landcruisers are in the same league with Jeeps. Old Nissan Patrols too if you can find one. Any short wheel base straight front axle 4x4 have a special place in my heart. Heck, even Russian UAZ :wink:
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Ji in Hawaii wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:08 pm I agree that old landrovers, and Landcruisers are in the same league with Jeeps. Old Nissan Patrols too if you can find one. Any short wheel base straight front axle 4x4 have a special place in my heart. Heck, even Russian UAZ :wink:
I agree with you. Where the Jeep stands out, in this country at least, is it is so prolific. Also, the aftermarket support is unprecedented.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

The first vehicle my dad ever owned was a US Army surplus Jeep he bought while living in occupied Japan just right after the hostilities ended. He had A metal working shop in Yokohama make him a removable hard-top and full doors for the cold winter driving. He owned 2 Jeeps from early 1946 thru 1950 when he got married and a few months later was expecting his first child so he bought a new Kaiser Henry-J 2 door sedan. I have a picture of my dad's Jeep with the custom hard-top somewhere. If I find it I will post it here.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks Ji, that'd be great! Thats some Jeep goodness right there!
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I think my dream Jeep is still a TJ-7 (love the coil spring articulation) with a diesel engine. I don't need speed, I want low end torque, and as weird as I am I love the smell of diesel in the morning. I have seen Jeeps with 5 cylinder Mercedes Benz diesels, 4 cylinder Cummins diesels, and even 1.9 liter VW turbo-diesels. I could not afford a new Jeep or a new diesel to put into it. Probably a VW turbo from a wrecker yard would be the ticket. I'm just dreaming here so don't be too harsh. :D
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Not at all. I've seen rigs set up like that. Works very well. Most of us up here are into crawling type wheeling. Got over the mud stuff when I was a kid. :D
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Thanks for posting the pictures, very nice.
The nicest jeep I've ever seen was a CJ-6. It had a longer wheel base than the new CJ-7's they made for the yuppies (IMHO.) But it was Jeep all the way. I had 2 CJ-5s, a 6 banger 258 and a V-8. The V-8 was a waste.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Guy just a couple miles from me had a nice CJ6. Someone on this board is building one right now. Can't remember who it was.
I agree. Never been a fan of a V8 in a Jeep. The 258 and the 4.0 were probably the best. The old 225 Dauntless wasn't too bad, but I prefer the inlines.
The 4 bangers are ok in the woods, but a little lacking on the road.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ji in Hawaii wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:34 pm I think my dream Jeep is still a TJ-7 (love the coil spring articulation) with a diesel engine. I don't need speed, I want low end torque, and as weird as I am I love the smell of diesel in the morning. I have seen Jeeps with 5 cylinder Mercedes Benz diesels, 4 cylinder Cummins diesels, and even 1.9 liter VW turbo-diesels. I could not afford a new Jeep or a new diesel to put into it. Probably a VW turbo from a wrecker yard would be the ticket. I'm just dreaming here so don't be too harsh. :D
I had a 1988 Wrangler that I was planning to put a Cummins 4BT in, then I started looking for an engine, cheapest one I could find was about 5 grand and in desperate need of a rebuild.
I miss my Rubicon but a pickup serves me better. Although if the government allows diesels again I might look at another Rubicon with an oil burner!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

OldWin wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:14 am Guy just a couple miles from me had a nice CJ6. Someone on this board is building one right now. Can't remember who it was.
I agree. Never been a fan of a V8 in a Jeep. The 258 and the 4.0 were probably the best. The old 225 Dauntless wasn't too bad, but I prefer the inlines.
The 4 bangers are ok in the woods, but a little lacking on the road.
OldWin... Awesome view of Mooselook and Richardson Lake on RT17! :D That's the way I go up to Rangeley when my wife and I visit her cousins that own's a camp near Oquossoc and Kennebago Lake.

Here's my 67 CJ6. Have it stored inside my freind's barn for the past few years. All original but needs work.
CJ6.JPG
Here's my 80 CJ5 I'm tinkering at the moment. Bad proportioning valve and one bad rear brake cylinder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I KNEW it was someone around here with that CJ6!
Man, thats some CJ5 goodness, right there. Love it!
We are on the other side of the hump, on the Kennebec, as you could probably tell from the big wooden Indian in the picture.
We like to make the loop with the bike up through Carrabasset Valley to Stratton. Then across 16 to Rangeley, down 4 to Farmington, then back home on 2. Rangeley is exactly half way. Usually stop for chili at the Red Onion.
Pretty country.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Next time your stopping by at the Red Onion in Rangeley, they make a killer liver and onion dinner with all the fixing's. The best I ever had!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Envious! I just started on my CJ-8 overhaul. Front diff is in pieces on the garage floor.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Hey Jeepnik! I do recall you were trying to buy your neighbors CJ6? Any updates on that??? I'm assuming the front axle on your CJ8 is a Dana30? Specs?
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Mainehunter wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:36 pm Hey Jeepnik! I do recall you were trying to buy your neighbors CJ6? Any updates on that??? I'm assuming the front axle on your CJ8 is a Dana30? Specs?
The CJ-6 owner is still holding out. But I think he'll sell it to me before anyone else.

The axle is a D30. With the ARB's it's been quite sufficient for the desert areas I tend to frequent. There's really nothing wrong with the diff, but I want to go through it and put in new seals, bearings and such. I just figured I'd start at the bottom and work up. I still have about twenty months until I retire so I won't be going at it full time til then.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

The 30s are tougher than people think. Gusset the lower C's, upgrade the shafts and universals, and it will hold 35s if you dont go too heavy on the skinny pedal.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

I do like the D30 on my CJ5 but the AMC20 rear is a different story. It still had the original two piece axles running 33's which I was a little nervous running that big of a tire. Switched to one piece Moser axles but had a hell of a time to get the pre-load right on the bearings :x. On top of that the passenger side bearings were questionable and brake slave cylinder was frozen.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah I hear you on the AMC 20. PIA. I kept a Dana 35 alive on 33s by going with a Detroit Tru Trac instead of a full blown locker in Old Red. Just a 4 banger in it but did manage to snap a motor mount on a rough climb a few years back.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Haven't had a jeep for 50 years but I bought a 90 model Wrangler with the 4.2, auto and heavy duty transfer. Lift kit, big wheels and tires and a fresh Jasper rebuilt engine. Came with new seats too. Someone put a Howell EFI on it and never got it running so I'm having a friend sort that out for me since I'm still not physically able to crawl around under it. Really looking forward to going to the woods in it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sounds like a well set up rig M.M.
Be sure and post pics!

We're going to have to make a Jeep section on this forum! :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jay Bro.......(new name for ya :D )........I wish the heck I could have a Jeepin' partner. It's either pick-up truck world or Mercedes Benz world around here....depending on your political affiliation.

You got it made with your buddies, who think alike along with lots of Jeepin' trails. I have three Jeeps and the rest of the family (my wife's side) has another 9...all Wranglers that have never been off the road other than their stone driveways. I'm alone in the Jeep off-road world.

But......I bet you never had a Jeep that ran over a human leg, from the hip down to the ankle! (Drivers side, rear.) (Another doctor's appointment at 9:30 A.M. tomorrow...hopefully the last of about 20)

Stay cool brother...hope to see you and Kristy again this year sometime.----6

Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey buddy! Hope the leg is gettin' better. Come on up, we will take you for some trail rides that'll curl your hair and induce some "pucker".
I got a set of 8 double adjustable Metalcloak control arms coming for mine. Doing a "tummy tuck" now. Have to make a lot of changes to do it. :D