Con man-thief!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Con man-thief!

Post by marlinman93 »

If you guys see this user ID on any gun forums, please send a message to the forum moderator:

"brockvp01" Also goes by Brian Brock, Donnie Brock, Sledge, and is located in Hyden, Ky.

The above guy arranged to sell me a Ballard single shot rifle about 5 weeks ago, and after I sent him funds I never received a tracking number for the gun. I got numerous (18 emails) excuses, plus promises that he'd sent the gun and sent my funds back. All were lies, and he eventually ceased returning my emails.
I have filed fraud charges against the above person with USPS, and Kentucky Attorney General's office. I just want to make sure he's found out and everyone will avoid any deals with this crook. If you're on a forum and this user name shows up, let someone in charge know. If you see the name Brian Brock or the aliases, let someone know. He's been banned for scams since he scammed me, and he joined numerous gun forums in March and April of this year to commit his scams.

Please be careful guys!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Con man-thief!

Post by Old No7 »

Aw man - that stinks!

Too bad we don't use posse's today... Deputize a bunch of us levergunners -- WE'D make it right. :wink:

A buddy of mine was a Postal Inspector and took his job VERY seriously, especially when fraud was involved -- let's hope the inspector working on your case is as diligent.

Good luck.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Man this just stinks...I have been ripped off once, and the bad taste never goes away. Bad Karma will always catch up to thieves and liars in the end. Thanks for the Heads Up.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bummer you had that happen.

I've never been ripped off like that, but I've hardly ever dealt with 'strangers' via the internet other than on this forum, and here I've probably had at least a dozen transactions, ranging from sending a guy $8.00 or so for a used book, to close to a thousand dollars for some used firearms.

Lever gunners are 'different' for a variety of reasons it is interesting to speculate about. Of course most of us here also could just as well have an AR-15 forum or bolt-action forum or any number of other 'gun' forums be our hangout, but leverguns are an interesting combination of practical, historic, functional, but not 'the best' in any particular simple category (not 'most powerful' or 'most accurate' or 'most rapid-fire' or 'highest capacity') so I think the braggarts tend to lurk elsewhere.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

That's beyond the pale. Sorry this happened to you Vall... it is a risk whenever we do business over the internet.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:evil: :evil: :evil:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:53 pm That's beyond the pale. Sorry this happened to you Vall... it is a risk whenever we do business over the internet.
I only deal with guys "I know on this forum" :evil: :evil: :evil:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:55 pm
Griff wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:53 pmThat's beyond the pale. Sorry this happened to you Vall... it is a risk whenever we do business over the internet.
I only deal with guys "I know on this forum" :evil: :evil: :evil:
And still... the risk remains... :twisted: :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Copy that Marlinman 93......I'm a firm believer that Karma will get him.

I'm to the point in my life that if someone pulled that pelosi on me I'd drive cross county just to slap a hunk of lead in his face.-----6

Stay with it.....as to legalities......keep the heat up..........most guys will pus__y out to redeem what little character they have.
Model A Uzi’s
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Sorry to hear about this, I hope you get your money back and this scum bag gets what he deserves.... :evil:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Thanks guys!
Some searching has revealed this scumbag has joined numerous gun forums around March of this year, and already banned from a few for scams he committed. Unfortunately none of this showed up when I did a search at the time of purchase.
I have learned one lesson from this. I wont buy from anyone who isn't on a forum for at least a year. I've made numerous deals on gun forums with members in good standing, and usually sent funds at the same time they sent items. Always had great transactions in the past.
I actually got good feedback from a member of the forum I saw this deal on, but that member lives in Ky. and did the deal face to face. I wont let this scumbag change my outlook on gun guys. It will change who I buy from, but gun guys are mostly great people.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I hate thieves. May he have physical accidents and broken bones every 4 months until he straightens up and makes things right with those he has scammed.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Sorry to hear this Val, don't that just pizz you off. You spend your life trying to be honorable, and a man of your word..expecting the same of others and then this. I got scammed two years ago for a Marlin by someone like this, now I only buy on line with a credit card, as they offer some protection.
WELL I BUY FROM SIXGUN TOO BUT THAT IS A WHOLE NOTHER LEVEL.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Odds are your money is gone.
I bet if you do a web search you will find the same gun photos for sale by another person, probably the real owner.
Believe it or not, Nigerians are behind a lot of theses scams. They join forums and social media for the sole purpose of scamming others. The spoof FB accounts by stealing real people's names and photos, then friending their friends. The block the person whose identity they scam so that person can't see them. They use scum in the USA to launder their money orders. They insist on USPS money orders and their launderer cashes it, then wires them the funds. Unreversible. USPS won't do anything. Local authorities won't do anything.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

fordwannabe wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:39 pm WELL I BUY FROM SIXGUN TOO BUT THAT IS A WHOLE NOTHER LEVEL.
Thanks Tom......hey Val.....give me a name and an address. I'll give Vinnie a call.

I hope it works out for ya Val.....when things get this sticky, it might mean a road trip. .22 Hi Standards. Puff puff sss.

On a serious note, I never could figure out these types. I have a nephew who lives that way...non blood......the rest of us are waiting for the call that they found this thing in a ditch.---6
Model A Uzi’s
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

vancelw wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:45 pm Odds are your money is gone.
I bet if you do a web search you will find the same gun photos for sale by another person, probably the real owner.
Believe it or not, Nigerians are behind a lot of theses scams. They join forums and social media for the sole purpose of scamming others. The spoof FB accounts by stealing real people's names and photos, then friending their friends. The block the person whose identity they scam so that person can't see them. They use scum in the USA to launder their money orders. They insist on USPS money orders and their launderer cashes it, then wires them the funds. Unreversible. USPS won't do anything. Local authorities won't do anything.
I'm quite sure the money is gone, but since another member purchased a gun face to face from this jerk Brian Brock, I doubt Nigerians are involved. Just a plain old thief with no scruples or morals. Sad part is he is a veteran and getting chemo for cancer, so when he told me he'd pay shipping also, I sent an extra $25 to offset the cost. That's a slap in the face to all veterans, and I wish he'd never mentioned the veteran part.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I've seen a couple stories recently on Nigerian (and elsewhere scams) scams like this. They pay some legitimate sounding state side S-O-B middle man a cut of the money.
Slow is just slow.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

cas wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:47 pm I've seen a couple stories recently on Nigerian (and elsewhere scams) scams like this. They pay some legitimate sounding state side S-O-B middle man a cut of the money.
Just today, I got ANOTHER Nigerian con-game letter sent thru a legit-sounding American Law firm. I've been forwarding them to the FBI for years.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Was contacted this morning by another guy who got scammed by the same Brian Brock! He made a deal to buy some flintlocks and lost his money also. Sad.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Horrible. No one likes a thief.

I hope he is found out and prosecuted.

I have been pretty lucky with all of my net dealings here and other online places.

Good luck.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Contact the Leslie county KY sheriff's office 606-672-2200 or the Hyden city police department (606) 672-2300 and see if they know this guy.

Leslie county is not very big and I suspect he's known to the local constabulary, if he lives in that county

Also did a quick search, there are a bunch of Brocks in Harlan - adjoining county

Where did the face-to-face transfer take place and with who? You need to contact that guy and get a physical description
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

wecsoger wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:55 am Contact the Leslie county KY sheriff's office 606-672-2200 or the Hyden city police department (606) 672-2300 and see if they know this guy.

Leslie county is not very big and I suspect he's known to the local constabulary, if he lives in that county

Also did a quick search, there are a bunch of Brocks in Harlan - adjoining county

Where did the face-to-face transfer take place and with who? You need to contact that guy and get a physical description
Both parties in the face to face are about 100 miles apart, so the deal took place about 50 miles from Hyden. Thanks for the phone numbers. I'll give them a call and see if the local police know anything on this guy?
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

I would. You mentioned USPS, that means a money order and mailing address? Or PO box?

If the latter, I'd call the local post office, explain the situation, let them know the higher muckety-mucks of USPS have a case on file.

*If* he's actually in that county, local PD or Sheriff on the detective side would want to hear about this. Make sure they know about the other forums and scams.

They may have something else going on in the background and this situation may be good leverage.

Thing is, to locate him to a physical address. What was he email address or addressed? Do a little forensics on that and you can locate origin back to his ISP (internet service provider).

From there you might get an address.

Or maybe he's just dropped off because he ticked off someone local and his body is up a holler somewhere. (check the Hyden paper obituaries?)
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Val....hope it works out for ya...give me a call if you need help.

My uncle, (Vinnie's dad) and also my dads brother, who owns a mega million dollar building supply business recently told me how one of his top managers skimmed 80 g's of building supplies over a year period. He caught him red handed with an audit.......guess what? A typical liberal N.J. judge said my uncle needed THREE proven audits before he would issue an arrest warrant. He even HAD to keep him employed for another year.

I've been busy digging a 60' well in the N.J. pinelands. :D (not really but I do remember the days!)----6
Model A Uzi’s
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall, I am so sorry you were robbed. This happened to me as well -- about 15 years ago on the old Sixgunner forum. The guy had been on there for several months and seemed like a regular guy. Even asked for prayers after a family member was injured in a car accident. He desperately wanted a Webley Mark II birdshead in .455 that I had up for sale and sent me a small deposit, the balance due at payday. I went ahead and shipped the revolver in good faith. Never heard from him again or saw him on the forum. I was in Oregon and he was in the Midwest. That Webley had a real nice bore in it. Still gripes me.
Here's the revolver, the photo saved years ago on the old Fototime system:

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

brockvp01

https://www.gunandgame.com/threads/bnib ... 80.185561/
New member here

https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/memb ... vitystream
Posted 1 week ago

https://www.tngunowners.com/forums/prof ... brockvp01/
Selling a gun 3-26 (this year, it looks like)

http://levergun-scoundrels.com/thread/5 ... ion?page=1
April 17 this year "selling some things" - one of 'em yours???

EDITED - some personal stuff sent to OP.
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Sat May 26, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Saw that same obit, and couple other things, including a Brock that got arrested for meth/various drug offenses several years ago.

I'm very leery of posting anyone's picture/personal info on a public forum until more info is developed.

That's why I really want a good physical description from the guy that did the f-to-f transfer.

That, and I'd love to see a couple of his emails to see what info I can harvest off the headers

If he has any sort of internet presence it will be easier than harder to find him

Biggest issue is getting the local law enforcement side involved, once physically located

Fraud case with the USPS and KY legal side will be a big help.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thought better of my post, above and instead deleted the online address info and sent it to original poster. Good thought, wecsoger. It IS public info, but then again as you say it definitely is not conclusively the info of the fraudulent poster. I left the various site references where this pseudonym was used - pretty obvious that the postings are to negotiate gun deals.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

wecsoger wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 5:32 pm Saw that same obit, and couple other things, including a Brock that got arrested for meth/various drug offenses several years ago.

I'm very leery of posting anyone's picture/personal info on a public forum until more info is developed.

That's why I really want a good physical description from the guy that did the f-to-f transfer.

That, and I'd love to see a couple of his emails to see what info I can harvest off the headers

If he has any sort of internet presence it will be easier than harder to find him

Biggest issue is getting the local law enforcement side involved, once physically located

Fraud case with the USPS and KY legal side will be a big help.
I already have everything you mentioned, except an accurate physical description. I have his home address, email, internet ISP, phone number, even the kind of truck he drives. He is about 70 years old and getting treated for cancer at the local VA in Kentucky. Also have all 18 emails I received from beginning to end when he stopped answering emails.
One of the forums I've been on since the forum began has given me all his internet information, for whatever good that can be. I also have all the information for the company that owns the property he rents. Have his son's contact info, and Facebook account info. He's been zero help. Not much else a person could have on another person except my money back.
I did a search of his screen name and joined numerous forums he also joined in March and April this year so I could inform members of his scam. He's been banned from the S&W forum, and the Marlinowners forum. His scam was on Levergun Scoundrels when he got me, so everyone there has been warned. Doesn't matter how many forums I know he's on, it still wont get him to respond to me, or return my money.
USPS has told me they can't guarantee they can get my money back, or prosecute him. They will simply try, and hope they do.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Sorry to hear you got scammed. I had a near miss with a forum member from this forum once myself.

Having been a postal contractor for nine years I had several close relationships with a few people, one of which was a postal inspector. He told me once that the inspection service is always trying to justify their existence to the powers that be. If you can reach out to other people on other forums that have been scammed by this guy and get them to file complaints to the Postal Service as well to the same inspector you'll have a better chance of getting something done. A multiple offender attracts more attention. I hope it turns out well for you.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

I already have everything you mentioned, except an accurate physical description.

That's partially good news. Just another suggestion (worth what you paid for it!), call that county's prosecuting attorney and see if they have any suggestions.

These are the people the Sheriff's deputies/city cops write up their charges and they decide to go ahead with a case.

Don't really know what other options you have since you're 'there', where ever 'there' is, and he's in Ky.

I'd do some research and see how Kentucky handles liens and if that's an option.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Thanks Rusty! I was told by the postal inspectors that there's no need to contact a specific inspector. Once the name Brian Brock is in their system, any and all complaints with his name as the perpetrator will be filed together. I have told one other complainant to file his online complaint with USPS also, so hope he proceeds to add fuel to the fire!
Went to the latest forums John DeFresno listed and joined them also to warn members before they get scammed too!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

wecsoger wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 5:55 pm I already have everything you mentioned, except an accurate physical description.

That's partially good news. Just another suggestion (worth what you paid for it!), call that county's prosecuting attorney and see if they have any suggestions.

These are the people the Sheriff's deputies/city cops write up their charges and they decide to go ahead with a case.

Don't really know what other options you have since you're 'there', where ever 'there' is, and he's in Ky.

I'd do some research and see how Kentucky handles liens and if that's an option.
Liens likely wont help since he rents the place he lives on. Plus my experience with liens are you have to file legal paperwork in his state in order to file a lien. It would require an attorney, or a trip to Ky., which just means more money tossed into a sinking boat.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

You guys might get a good chuckle on this reply I got from a Moderator at the Tngunowners forum where I warned members of Brian Brock's scam on unsuspecting buyers.

"Gentlemen,

We do not appreciate drama being brought to our board. Especially by a couple of folks who have zero posts on our forum - which means you're either just cruising our classifieds or are following each other all over the internet bringing drama with you.

I'm of good mind to just ban both of you and be done with it. But, if there's an explanation - this is your one chance to provide it.

This is a community - and we will not tolerate it being abused.

Thanks."

It seems that rather than appreciate the warning to their membership, this moderator considers it "drama" and would rather the members get scammed and lose their money! If anyone belongs to this forum, I hope the moderators attitude doesn't cost the membership lost monies by deleting a warning to members! Yikes!
My response to his message was to tell him how sorry I was that he felt so little regard for the members of his forum that he'd see a warning as "drama". I also told him if he banned Brian Brock and also myself for warning members, then at least I have protected the members from what he'd rather see happen to them. Pretty sad that a moderator would prefer to see members scammed for money and ban both perpetrator and victim to avoid seeing a warning posted on the site.

PS-The "Tngunowners" forum banned me for warning their members about Brian Brock! Amazing!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

marlinman93 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 6:15 pm ...The "Tngunowners" forum banned me for warning their members about Brian Brock! Amazing!
Amazing. Well, if that's the moderator that they have, I'll definitely not join or view tngunowners.com - no common sense - won't even hear your side of the story.

I was thinking about joining myself, then sending a PM to the moderator with a link to this thread, and then adding that it is okay to ban me too, but "don't act like such a donkey before you read the links."

Then again, I dealt with not-so-enlightened folks like this for more than 38 years and it would probably not avail anything.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Was almost laughable John! At first I couldn't believe what he sent in a message. Then in the message he wrote that I had one chance to convince him why he shouldn't ban me! I sent him the info from USPS inspector of the fraud pending, but told him I'd take that ban if he banned Brockvp01 also, as long as it meant he couldn't harm anyone. So I guess he took me up on it!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Marlinman 93 you're trying to do the stand up thing here and warn other people. That's the honorable thing to do. Folks should be thankful that you went the extra mile.

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

A surprising update to this saga!

I've been gone for a week at our memorial long range shoot for Wind, who passed in May. I arrived home yesterday and my wife said I had a letter from USPS that arrived Monday. I opened it and found a check for the entire amount I got scammed for, plus .50 cents for my letter with the check!
Not much explanation, except referencing my fraud claim and that they had recovered my funds plus postage from the jerk. The payment I made was not a USPS money order, so I really never expected to see the money again! Huge kudos to USPS postal inspectors for somehow retrieving my funds, and in pretty short time too! They originally told me they couldn't guarantee anything except they'd add it to their records in case anyone else filed fraud on the same person.
Huge attaboy to USPS!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Really pleased for you, a fourth of July to remember for sure... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Great news.

Time to check his local news to see if someone got arrested. :D
Slow is just slow.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

awesome. glad to see folks getting some justice
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Those Postal Inspectors are bad-azzed Federalies!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

marlinman93 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:03 pm
A surprising update to this saga!

I had a letter from USPS that arrived Monday. I opened it and found a check for the entire amount I got scammed for, plus .50 cents for my letter with the check!

WOW ! ! What a nice surprise, Vall - I'm glad for your positive result ! . :)

jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Good News !

I just love happy endings. :D

Jack
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

What Great news!! :D :D .
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Good news.

By the way, I have dealt with a few members here, and I have always felt as if I were treated honestly.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'm glad to hear it worked out for you. When I was a postal contractor I got to know one of my Post Masters very well who had been a Postal Inspector before he took the Post Master job. He told me that one thing the Inspectors have to always do is to justify their job or prove their need. It sounds like your guys did a ban up job.
A letter to the Postmaster General thanking him for their hard work might bring some sunshine into some Inspector's life. Just sayin.

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

piller wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:48 am Good news.

By the way, I have dealt with a few members here, and I have always felt as if I were treated honestly.
I've had nothing but positive deals with members here, and at other gun forums I look in at. Just got a box of original Ballard paper patched bullets from a member on the Cast Boolits forum, and like every other gun deal it went smooth as glass! Often items and funds are exchanged at the same time, and that is what I do also with members I see have been around a long time.
Can't emphasize enough how rare and unusual this particular deal was!!! But I posted it to let people know this clown's name, and also as an example of what can happen on rare occasions.
I'm happy that USPS was able to get my money back, but wish I knew more details on how that came about.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall, so glad you were made whole, other than the aggravation.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Fantastic news and kudos to the USPS.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.