I have no excuse - I live in a rural area.......

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

I have no excuse - I live in a rural area.......

Post by AJMD429 »

A patient who also lives in a rural area (she hunts deer on her own 20-acre property) told me after she was taken by surprise in a hospital parking lot (a 'patrolled' area in a 'gun-free zone' of course), although the only harm was a purse taken, and frantic cancellation of credit cards and other ID-fraud issues, she adopted a new 'personal safety training program'.

I thought maybe it was something at a local range, or a class taught by a local (and excellent) pro-CCW attorney, but she'd been through those things. No, she said, she was going to shoot an extra 365 rounds a year, one-at-a-time, and one-per-day. EVERY day.

So far she's about 180 rounds into her training program, and it is very simple. She talked to her only neighbor within earshot, and explained to them that every evening when she got home from work, or every other day at some point, she will go to the informal 'range' she and her husband have behind their barn, mostly for his bowhunting practice and the kids to shoot 22's, and she'll shoot one shot at one target. They always have various old bowling pins, paper targets, and a couple types of 'gongs' there, and she says that upon getting home, if nobody else is home, she'll check the house, then at some point go out and shoot one target with her carry piece. If someone is home and she knows the house is secure, she'll just go directly out to the informal range and pop one shot, no matter the weather or what else is going on. She says she has even has done it in the midst of a cellphone conversation... :shock:

Her latest 'tactical' innovation is that her husband got some 'good-guy/bad-guy' targets he will set up for her if he's at home, so when she goes back there (she gets home after dark) to pop a gong, she may see a paper target that wasn't there last time and she will 'nail the bad guy'.

One shot, from her carry gun, with her carry-ammo, every day.

:| :| :| :| :|

I have no excuse not to do that, other than my laziness. She'll automatically rotate her carry ammo, and get plenty of 'first-shot from a draw' training using her own gun and holster. Pretty cool.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Re: I have no excuse - I live in a rural area.......

Post by Ysabel Kid »

What a great idea!

I just wish I had the land to do that. I'm pretty sure my neighbors would frown upon the practice. :shock:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'll no doubt never realize my goal of being able to shoot off the front/back porch. :(
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That is really good to hear Doc. Can you imagine long about Thanksgiving how fast and smooth her draw will be? At one time I could shoot like that here at home. Some twenty years ago the city took us into the city, added maybe twenty homes to the city taxes.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I live in the city. Plus, the gun ranges in the area prohibit drawing from a holster before firing. Too many idiots, and they must protect their right to stay open. 😞

Being aware of your surroundings is important, too. Don't let yourself become complacent or distracted. Hard to do, but it can save your life.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Good post, good idea on her part.

Dry fire can also be very useful, even if one can shoot in their yard. Theres some good info from Claude in his 1000 days of dryfire series of posts (4 parts). In searching for it, he has some other good dryfire posts, so I'm going to link the entire category on his blog, but I like his 1000 days series.

https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com ... y/dryfire/
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

At least she's keeping familiar with her handgun. Wouldn't work for me though; I don't think I could shoot just one per day. Maybe one magazine or one cylinder full, but one shot? Nah! :mrgreen:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...