The Browning A-5

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

The Browning A-5

Post by Pitchy »

Had the urge to shoot the A-5 today and try the SB light 4 buck shells in it, I`ve been told the A-5 won`t work as a defense gun. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM3l0XuiJOY
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Browning A-5

Post by Pete44ru »

Whoever told you that, Pitchy, didn't know what they were talking about.

The A5 was long the weapon of choice for many prison/security guards, not to mention banditos.

Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

My sawed-off Remington Model 11 (with +2 mag extension) seems to work about as well as yours.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Pete44ru wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 3:55 pm .

Whoever told you that, Pitchy, didn't know what they were talking about.

The A5 was long the weapon of choice for many prison/security guards, not to mention banditos.

The British Army used them in Malaya to good effect too..... :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Actually a shotgun gun smith told me that, in fairness I did try the light loads from the hip and had a malfunction.
With moderate or full loads it shoots dependably.
I use my Mossy 590 as a defense gun but as with the Win. 97 and the Browning purr class. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Ole Pitchy lettin her rip!
Wouldn't work? Didn't Clyde Barrow use an A5 (Remington mod 11) that was cut down? Seems to me if it wouldn't work, he wouldn't have wasted his time.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks Jay, what I`ve found is if ya put the right ammo in them they work good, there is a setting on them for light and heavy loads.
I find them clumsy to load and wouldn`t be my choice for a defense gun the pumps are more user friendly.
But fun to shoot history . :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Assuming the loads are heavy enough to cyclevthe action, it ought to work great. It is recoil operated instead of gas operatedcso, my thinking more dependable than gas operated designs because no port to foul.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Way Cool!

I have a Remington Model 11R that looks a lot like your Browning. I haven't found anything it doesn't like yet. Love shooting that thing! Sure does rip up the hillside!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My Dad's old Auto 5 which he bought at a PX in 1952 for $79 has never failed to cycle. Light loads for Dove with that ring turned for light loads, and it never failed. Heavy loads for pheasant with that ring turned for heavy loads. No failures. The A5 had a reputation for reliability which it earned. It is complicated to take apart very far, but it is reliable.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Browning had so many gifts, and an uncanny knack for ergonomic design. His 1911s and Auto 5s fit me like they were custom-made. So do his Model 8s.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

In my early years of playing deppity I kept an A-5 in the trunk. Loaded, bolt back with the cut-off on. All I had to do was flip the cut-off and that old thing would load itself. It makes a lot of noise when doing this and can have quite an affect on a soon to be prisoner. The Browning or Remington 11 only hold 5 though so I graduated to a model 12 which is a 7 shooter.

You had to remember to move the shotgun when putting prisoners in the trunk though.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

:lol:
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

That is funny Ron, thanks guys. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

M. M. Wright wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 8:12 am In my early years of playing deppity I kept an A-5 in the trunk. Loaded, bolt back with the cut-off on. All I had to do was flip the cut-off and that old thing would load itself. It makes a lot of noise when doing this and can have quite an affect on a soon to be prisoner. The Browning or Remington 11 only hold 5 though so I graduated to a model 12 which is a 7 shooter.

You had to remember to move the shotgun when putting prisoners in the trunk though.
Did you ever have to let your "soon to be prisoners" change underwear before getting in your car? :lol:
Merle from PA
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Merle wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 6:57 pm
M. M. Wright wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 8:12 am In my early years of playing deppity I kept an A-5 in the trunk. Loaded, bolt back with the cut-off on. All I had to do was flip the cut-off and that old thing would load itself. It makes a lot of noise when doing this and can have quite an affect on a soon to be prisoner. The Browning or Remington 11 only hold 5 though so I graduated to a model 12 which is a 7 shooter.

Did you ever have to let your "soon to be prisoners" change underwear before getting in your car? :lol:
That's why we put them in the trunk Merle.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

M. M. Wright wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:25 pm

Sounds like a real good idea! :lol:
Merle from PA
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

Regarding the use of Browning A-5 shotguns as weapons - let's insert, in a really horrendous environment - in the 1950s the British SAS conducted an extensive long-term counter-terrorism campaign on New Guinea. This was reported to the general public as being conducted against communist terrorists. In fact, most of counter-terrorism was conducted against the Indonesian army, as it masqueraded as an indigenous rebellion within British colonial territory. The SAS with their unconventional weaponry successfully controlled that conflict. And the A-5 functioned efficiently for those who used it.

Hope this helps.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My brother, who was in the British army at that time in Singapore said jungle patrols always had a guy with a Browning A5 .
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks for the replies, I never said it won`t work for a defense gun someone else told me that shooting from the hip could make it unreliable.
Quite a difference firing from the hip rather than the shoulder with this action.
I did have mine set at the heavy load setting which explains why it jammed with the light loads from the hip. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Merle wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:39 pm
M. M. Wright wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:25 pm

Sounds like a real good idea! :lol:
I remember that sound as the cutoff is flipped and a shell from the magazine is loaded with authority. There is nothing else like it. I heard it when we loaded up while out pheasant hunting, so it is a pleasant sound to me. It brings back memories of crisp cold mornings spent walking through milo stubble, tumbleweed thickets, and wheat stubble. The fun of cleaning the birds, and the taste of baked pheasant was great.

With that aound being so unique, I can understand why it would be scary in other circumstances.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

The sound of an A5 bolt slamming home has a nice solid ring to it unlike the "clickity-clack" of most other auto shotguns. My first Lab was a hunting/retrieving maniac, she loved to hunt. When I would snap the bolt shut on my A5 that dog was by my side right now!