Got A Winchester Low Wall .22LR

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Got A Winchester Low Wall .22LR

Post by Shasta »

Sorry for the following long-winded story, but I wanted to tell you how it happened:

Nearly a year ago, a local gun store got in several used custom made single shot rifles, one of which caught my eye. It was a new manufacture Winchester Low Wall that had been re-barreled with a heavy 27" barrel in .22LR. The barrel was unmarked, but the rifle had a spirit level front sight and a lower quality vernier tang sight. The trigger had been lightened nicely. It was priced at $1250, but the shop owner said he would take $1050 out the door. I really liked the rifle. It would be perfect for the Smallbore Long Range Silhouette matches that our club holds, but I felt the price was still too steep for a used gun. The rifle languished on the store gun rack for months, getting lots of lookers but no takers. I guess everybody thought the same as I did.

One of the clubs I belong to holds a fund raising raffle each year at a local gun show, with a Henry Golden Boy .22 as the prize. I was the main volunteer and sold a lot of tickets, even buying $10 worth myself. When it came time for the drawing, a little girl from the attendees was asked to draw the winning ticket, and darned if she didn't pull one of my tickets! That was a little embarrassing for me, but I wasn't about to turn it down. I didn't want or need the Golden Boy, but I figured it would make good trading material. The required California dealer transfer was through the very shop that had the coveted Low Wall Winchester. I asked the store manager what I could get in exchange for the unwanted Golden Boy, and he offered a $385 store credit. Hmmm, applied toward the Winchester, that would get my out of pocket cost right about to what I wanted to pay for it, so I went ahead and bought the Winchester.

The first thing I did was replace the mediocre tang sight with a top quality MVA vernier sight with Hadley eyecup that I had been saving in my gun parts stash. The rifle shot very well and I was quite pleased with it. Then I got to thinking about the scope class rifles that some of the guys were shooting in our Long Range Silhouette matches. My Browning High Wall .40-65 Black Powder Cartridge Rifle has an MVA scope that I could also use on the Low Wall, so I had the Low Wall drilled and tapped for the needed scope mounts. I had to buy a taller front mounting block to get the scope aligned properly, but the scope went on all right and it shoots and looks great! I'm looking forward to using it in silhouette competition. Now for the pictures, one with the iron sights and one with the scope:

Image]

Shasta
Last edited by Shasta on Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Got A Winchester Low Wall .22LR

Post by wolfdog »

Man that is pretty!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Well dang! I surely wanted to have a look at that low wall but my computer just gets a message that "the image you have requested does not exist or is no longer available". :(
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I've always liked the High / Low walls, as well as rolling blocks!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Post by Shasta »

earlmck wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 5:59 pm Well dang! I surely wanted to have a look at that low wall but my computer just gets a message that "the image you have requested does not exist or is no longer available". :(
I'm sorry about that. I'm having trouble with the forum accepting the pictures. It kept saying they were too big, but after several resizing attempts they are very small. Let's try again:

Shasta

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Shasta, now I can see where the sin of coveting came from. That is a beautiful rifle, congratulations.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Good looking gun, and the MVA scope should make it a tack driver too!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Great pictures! Now that is class. Pure class. :mrgreen:
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

earlmck wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 11:44 pm Great pictures! Now that is class. Pure class. :mrgreen:
Plus one...... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

That is a cracker of a low wall.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

WOW !! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Shasta, that is a very lovely rifle. It would surely be competitive in .22 BPCR, which it sounds like your club is already shooting.
I hope to try this sport soon myself, and have ordered a Crossno .22 LR liner for my Pedersoli .45-70 Sharps.
Guys, if you haven't heard of .22 BPCR, here is the home Web site, and there is a very active Facebook page for it as well. Earl, they may be shooting this at the COSSA range south of you.
http://www.22bpcra.com/
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

gamekeeper wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 12:36 am
earlmck wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 11:44 pm Great pictures! Now that is class. Pure class. :mrgreen:
Plus one...... :mrgreen:
+2 to that!

And congrats on the "Henry win"; glad that helped pave the way towards getting this one.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:37 am Guys, if you haven't heard of .22 BPCR, here is the home Web site, and there is a very active Facebook page for it as well. Earl, they may be shooting this at the COSSA range south of you.
http://www.22bpcra.com/
Out at the COSSA range they shoot a match at those ranges with 22's but are not so picky about the kind of rifle that gets used: they would even let me get away with using my old Remington pump, though I haven't yet shot with them. I think they are having trouble getting enough shooters, so haven't imposed those rather expensive and specialized equipment restrictions which would also disqualify Shasta's classy new baby (the "exposed hammer" requirement would get him).
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Post by Shasta »

Ah, but my Low Wall does indeed have an exposed hammer. It even cocks itself on opening and closing the action, and it has an ejector too!
Our club shoots the .22 BPCR discipline, but we let any .22 rifle participate by creating a "Contemporary Rifle" category for those who do not have the proper equipment.

Shasta

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Shasta wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 12:15 pm Ah, but my Low Wall does indeed have an exposed hammer. It even cocks itself on opening and closing the action, and it has an ejector too!

Shasta
Of course -- what was I thinking! (no excuses here; I have owned both low and high walls for decades). Senility?

But dang, maybe I could get one of those liner things like Bill is getting and shoot legitimately with one of the high walls.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, Crossno Gun Service makes liners for the .45-70 and .40-65 case head families. Lee Shaver has a different design and can make them for a few other calibers.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Once upon a time, I too had a .22LR Winchester Lo-Wall, a Winder Musket - but that Miroku Lo-Wall is much more graceful/handsome, by far.

CONGRATS ! !

I've always lusted after one of those, chambered in .260 Rem (sigh)