Hillbilly caviar! Got some more!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Hillbilly caviar! Got some more!

Post by OldWin »

That magical time of year when the fiddleheads are up. When you find a good spot, you take the location to the grave.
Now for some deer meat and some home fries to go with em! :D
A feast fit for redneck royalty!
Last edited by OldWin on Fri May 11, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hillbilly caviar!

Post by Pitchy »

Never heard of it until you told me, enjoy pard. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

One of the things I really miss about Maine...fiddleheads. mmmmmm. However the ex Mrs.fordwannabe still resides in LaGrange as far as I know, so it just aint worth going up there. This risk of running into her is not worth the reward.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Around here, they grow like weeds.
How do you fix yours?
Me Ex, a Korean, would boil them a couple times, then spread them on a big mat to dry rock hard. The smell when they were boiling would run me out of the house and even the neighbor kevetched about the stink. :o
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks, Lenn! Just finished a big pile of em!

FW,
Come on up! I'm about 60 miles west of LaGrange. You'll be safe!

Blaine,
We boil em up, pile up a heap in a bowl, then douse em with vinegar, salt, and butter. Mmmmmmm!
To put em up, we either blanch em, let em cool, and then bag em up and put em in the freezer.....
Or you can can em. I've never tried canning. Should try it sometime.
I had no idea you guys had em out there! I learnt sometin! Thanks Blaine!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

There's sure some fiddlehead fanatics, there in Maine ! . ;)

One year, when I was Spring bear hunting (back when there was a Spring season) in the Staceyville area, we came across a large area with them (I didn't know what they were, at the time).

In a few minutes, two fellas showed up and gathered them all up, keeping a dubious eye on us.

I guess they felt that we threatened thier source.........

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I must live under a rock. Whattheheck are fiddleheads?
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

You know when spring is here in Maine when fiddleheads arrive! Picked up my first bag yesterday had them with my grilled burger. This morning I made an omelet with bacon and fiddleheads....mmmmmm :D I especially like them with my trout when I go fishing up to camp on Memorial Day weekend, cant' wait!!!!!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

jnyork wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 5:49 pm I must live under a rock. Whattheheck are fiddleheads?
It used to be that I didn't know, either - but I do now.

Fiddleheads are ferns before they become fully-developed ferns.

Though all ferns have a fiddlehead stage, it's the Ostrich fern (a specific edible species), with tightly coiled tips, that has become synonymous with the word “fiddlehead.”

Their taste is often described somewhere between asparagus, broccoli and spinach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0q7M6Gcd5o

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

OldWin wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 5:15 pm Thanks, Lenn! Just finished a big pile of em!

FW,
Come on up! I'm about 60 miles west of LaGrange. You'll be safe!

Blaine,
We boil em up, pile up a heap in a bowl, then douse em with vinegar, salt, and butter. Mmmmmmm!
To put em up, we either blanch em, let em cool, and then bag em up and put em in the freezer.....
Or you can can em. I've never tried canning. Should try it sometime.
I had no idea you guys had em out there! I learnt sometin! Thanks Blaine!
Hmmm....After watching the video, I'm pretty sure that's not the same as what we have out here. The Asians surely do go for them, though. The Ex would make a pile of pin money every year.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Just had some for supper tonight!

They taste like spinach to me, and are packed with nutrients. Good source of
vitamin A.

Grilled steak, steamed fiddleheads with butter, brown rice, a huge salad,
and a glass or two of Chilean red wine.

Life IS good! 8)

-Stretch
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Like Blaine said, they're worse than weeds around here. Never heard of anyone eating them?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Pete44ru wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 5:33 pm .

There's sure some fiddlehead fanatics, there in Maine ! . ;)

One year, when I was Spring bear hunting (back when there was a Spring season) in the Staceyville area, we came across a large area with them (I didn't know what they were, at the time).

In a few minutes, two fellas showed up and gathered them all up, keeping a dubious eye on us.

I guess they felt that we threatened thier source.........

Pete,
Yur lucky you didn't get in a shootin' scrape. Some ole boys are pretty protective of their spot. :D
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hillbilly caviar! Got some more!

Post by OldWin »

Headed out this morning for some more. It was chilly, as you can tell by the old man running the boat. He does pretty good for almost 77.
Thankfully, with the cold and wind, we had NO black flies. Usually its a black cloud when fiddleheading.
We put in the Kennebec river and headed up the Wesserunset stream. This is the stream our lot is on about 15 miles north. Where we went straight up the stream, Benedict Arnold turned left and continued up the Kennebec to portage around the falls where the dams in town now stand. This is an old travel route and has a rich history.
We picked 15 gallons in no time. Got about 25 gallons total now. We got em all cleaned today and will blanch em and freeze em thus weekend.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Blaine, Vall, the "fiddleheads" we have in the Pacific Northwest are bracken fern. Dunno if they are edible. But in Scouts, we sure enjoyed breaking off sections of dried bracken fern stalks and smoking them like cigarettes.

:lol:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:35 pm Blaine, Vall, the "fiddleheads" we have in the Pacific Northwest are bracken fern. Dunno if they are edible. But in Scouts, we sure enjoyed breaking off sections of dried bracken fern stalks and smoking them like cigarettes.

:lol:
The Koreans eat them all the time, but they boil them, and sun-dry them into brown sticks. Then they make some sort of kimchee from the dried product. I never tried any. The Ex sold every bit of it. She'd make a couple hundred every spring.

This seems to 'splain the boiling and drying out.
https://honest-food.net/bracken-fern-edible/

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

They sell em here too. In stores and on the roadside. Get about 3 bucks a pound for them.
We boil em till they are tender and well cooked. Strain them and put in a bowl with some vinegar, salt, and butter.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Looks like a good time Jay, how deep is that river where your at in the pics. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

So, how many of you have ever eaten skunk cabbage, pig weed or plantain leaves? :D
Merle from PA
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Pitchy wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 6:53 pm Looks like a good time Jay, how deep is that river where your at in the pics. 8)
Where the pics are is the stream. It varies but its not real deep. Up as far as we are in the pics there is only 4 or 5 feet. The boat is landed on an island. Out on the main river I'm not sure, but it's quite a lot.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

When I was growing up we lived in the woods in Michigan. The floor of the woods was covered with ferns and wintergreen. Never knew about fiddleheads,but we ate a lot of mushrooms. I would cut dandelion greens for my mother to cook and we ate plantain and lambsquarter greens.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Out where I grew up, we had prickly pear, tumbleweed, russian thistle, milkweed, pigweed, and yucca. Prickly pear was the only thing I ever ate of that bunch. Seemed like you always missed at least 1 spine no matter how you tried to clean them.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Jerry,
We used to eat a lot of dandelion greens too! Haven't had any in while now.

Piller,
We don't get a lot of prickly pear or tumbleweed here. :D
I'd like to see the West sometime.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Around hear it is time for Morrell s , both white and red, and wild asparagus.
I like Morrell s but not enough to hunt them. Everyone else can have the asparagus.
Prickly pear fruit is great when you can find it. I have never tried to eat the pads.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I must have lived a very sheltered life...never heard of those thing-a-ma-gigs before .....can you dry em out and smoke em? :D

I see Pops has a Jeep also...the apple dont fall far from the tree.---6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 1:36 pm I must have lived a very sheltered life...never heard of those thing-a-ma-gigs before .....can you dry em out and smoke em? :D

I see Pops has a Jeep also...the apple dont fall far from the tree.---6
I've never tried smokin' em. Is it safe to say you would bud? :D

That's Old Red. It's a 97 TJ I bought in 04. I ran it back and forth to work so I could put my Rubicon up in the winter. We had a lift and 33s on it, a Detroit in the rear, POR15 and Herculined the tub.......Old Red's seen a lot of country. Gave it to my dad in 2010, took all but 2" of lift out and put 31s in it. It's got 175k on it and still has original paint and zero rust. We sprayed under it with oil twice a year.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Pretty neato Jay......you say and have told me before about the "spraying" of the motor oil and/or transmission fluid.....how do you spray it? Hillbilly style with a windex bottle, pump up garden sprayer...or a paint sprayer opened up using compressed air?----6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

We use an undercoating gun. Looks like a paint sprayer but at the nozzle there is a 12 inch hose that you can stick into pockets or holes where body plugs are. We run about 45lbs at the gun. It goes on like paint. After 30 years if doing it, its the ONLY thing I've found that works. The oil seeps into welds and seams. That is where the rust gets it foothold. Thats why when you "fix" it and repaint, it comes right back. In my experience, anything that makes a barrier will not work.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I LOVE fiddleheads half the fun being getting out into the wild to collect them. We call them by their Hawaiian names pohole poh-hoh-leh (on Maui) ho'i'o hoh-'ee-'oh (on all other islands) or warabi wah-rah-bee (Japanese).
When I lived on Maui I transplanted some pohole ferns on to my property and they did well and even spread so that I had them handy nearby to harvest, and these native ferns produced year around. I sure do miss living on Maui.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Ji in Hawaii wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 5:21 pm I LOVE fiddleheads half the fun being getting out into the wild to collect them. We call them by their Hawaiian names pohole poh-hoh-leh (on Maui) ho'i'o hoh-'ee-'oh (on all other islands) or warabi wah-rah-bee (Japanese).
When I lived on Maui I transplanted some pohole ferns on to my property and they did well and even spread so that I had them handy nearby to harvest, and these native ferns produced year around. I sure do miss living on Maui.
I never would have guessed there were fiddleheads in Hawaii. That's wild!
I learnt sumpin today. :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

765x53 wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 11:11 am Around hear it is time for Morrell s , both white and red, and wild asparagus.
I like Morrell s but not enough to hunt them. Everyone else can have the asparagus.
Prickly pear fruit is great when you can find it. I have never tried to eat the pads.
I prefer the fruit, too. The pads are known as nopales, and nopalitas when shredded. They go good with eggs and chorizo sausage with fried potatoes all rolled in a tortilla with salsa.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Piller, I buy chorizo at a little Mexican store here in town. A man makes it every week in the store. I have bought nopalita, I'll try them together.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

We have prickly pear cactus here too introduced about 200 years ago via seeds in the belly of cattle brought over from Mexico. Mesquite tree seeds too. They have been around so long most assume they are indigenous. We call the cactus pipinola (pee-pee-noh-lah), and mesquite we call kiawe (kee-yah-veh). You can find pipinola here with no large spines just the micro spines which we burn off with a butane torch before picking. I like to make a salad using slices of blanched pads, sliced sweet Maui onions, and tomato's tossed in a balsamic vinegar & extra virgin olive oil vinegrette. Love the sliced pads in burritos too. The ripe fruit makes great jam. The kiawe wood like mesquite a favorite for BBQ and smoking. The sweet seed pods we used to chew on as kids. Some will boil down the seed pods to make a sweet syrup.
What we call pig weed is purslane which is great in salads or pickled. I used to harvest dandelion greens on my property on Maui but haven't had any since l moves l moved away 11 years ago. The local Safeway sells it but not the same when you have to buy it from a supermarket.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31