Now THAT'S a "Poop Deck!" (new pix added)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Now THAT'S a "Poop Deck!" (new pix added)

Post by Old No7 »

Ahoy from the coast of Maine!

Boaters will know what I mean by that term...

My Dad's old 26' lobster boat had a 3' section of decking at gunwale ("gunnel") height between the open cockpit and the transom. Originally meant to store lobster traps, on our recreational lobster boat it was a handy place for us kids to sit, hang out and fish when we were young.

Later, when dear old Dad upgraded to a lapstrake 30' Chris Craft, we downsized to a 1' section of decking -- not quite a "poop deck", but still enough to sit on and hang on to the rail.

But this....

THIS IS A POOP DECK!!!

Sea Ray SLX 400.jpg

It even has a side-folding gunwale and an underwater deck too!!!

My wife took one look and said "Oooh, I like...."

Uh oh.... I'd better start saving some $$$! :wink:

Actually, the "poop" on the deck has nothing to do with leftovers from seagulls... The name originates from the French word for the "stern", "la poupe", from the Latin word "puppis".

But yeah, I did have seagulls to deal with too... And 3 brothers too...

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Old No7 on Sat May 05, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Now THAT'S a "Poop Deck!"

Post by Blaine »

That's quite the fishing/party boat... :shock: That would be a real bear to trailer, tho.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Once you get the payment book on that sucker you're gonna say OH POOP!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

And, in the days of sailing ships & galleons, the real "poop" deck was up front, at the prow where the wind driving the ship would also take the stench with it, away from the rest of the folks aboard - Why sailors today refer to the toilet as "the head" (of the ship).

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That baby has waaayyy too much class for me.....I find an inner tube easier to navigate. As for the "poop", well, I just mess my pants whenever I have to go and shake my leg and let it drop out the pant leg.---6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Six, when floating on yer tube you need to slit the back of your shorts so ya can just let fly your democrat as you float down the river!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

GunnyMack wrote: Six, when floating on yer tube you need to slit the back of your shorts so ya can just let fly your democrat as you float down the river!
Dang Gunny!!! That's great thinking. Thanks!... All this time I've been "dropping and rinsing".....most of the time, not even rinsing. It's ok in the water but out of the water it tends to "cake up" and get all scratchy.....geeze...I'm starting to sound like an Arab.---6
Model A Uzi’s
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Later, when dear old Dad upgraded to a lapstrake 30' Chris Craft, we downsized to a 1' section of decking -- not quite a "poop deck", but still enough to sit on and hang on to the rail.
Do you still have this gem??? I have a 17' Runabout that's been sitting for years that I want to restore BUT way toooo busy to start on her :|. Too many projects, not enough time!!!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Mainehunter wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:10 am
Do you still have this gem???!
No, Mainehunter, she's long gone... (Dad too......................)

She looked just like this one, with the red anti-fouling bottom, the white "boot stripe", blue hull and white upper...

Chris Craft Cavalier 30.jpg

We have many years of great memories on that boat from the mid-60's to early 80's...

She was "WOOD - BUT GOOD!" As my Dad would say, in those days when fiberglass had invaded the boat yards.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

So, let's recap.
A poop deck is not where one would hang a part of one's anatomy over to relieve one's self?

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Pete44ru wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:36 pm .

And, in the days of sailing ships & galleons, the real "poop" deck was up front, at the prow where the wind driving the ship would also take the stench with it, away from the rest of the folks aboard - Why sailors today refer to the toilet as "the head" (of the ship).

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

There was also a rope netting hung from the bowsprit to the bow for sailors to sit in and do their business. Occasionally you can see the netting in pics of square riggers that are accurately rigged...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Pardon me, but do you have any Gray Poupon deck?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Old No7 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:24 pm My Dad's old 26' lobster boat had a 3' section of decking at gunwale ("gunnel") height between the open cockpit and the transom. Originally meant to store lobster traps, on our recreational lobster boat it was a handy place for us kids to sit, hang out and fish when we were young.
Going through some photos today -- I found this old picture of the four buoys on the Poop Deck of the "Four Buoys"...

That's me on the starboard side next to my identical twin... (I think...) :wink:

Poop Deck 4 Buoys (Small).jpg

Old No7
Last edited by Old No7 on Sun May 13, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Now THAT'S a "Poop Deck!" (new pix added)

Post by crs »

Always amazed at the things one learns on a gun forum! :D
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Fantastic photo #7 :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

You can take the Yankee out of New England but you can't take the New England out of the Yankee. My dad left his Massachusetts home in 1942 joining the US Army Amphibious Engineers, and serving in the SW Pacific until the end of the war then going straight to Japan from the Philippines as part of the occupied forces. He wound up staying there until 1966 when he was transferred to Hawai'i. He always had a rowing Dory but one of his dream boats was a New England style loster boat. I must admit they sure are purdy. He was seriously considering ordering a New England built Bruno & Stillman boat. We had the brochures but the shipping cost (to Hawai'i) killed the deal. He even considered running it down the coast through the Panama Canal and then loading it up with drum cans of extra diesel fuel to make a run across the Pacific to Hawai'i. I know of no seaman more capable than he, and I was extremely excited to be a part of his crew but... My mom put a stop to that idea. This was in the early '70s when I was about 12 or 13. Many years later I found a beautiful little 21 New England lobster boat style 21 footer built in SW Florida by Atlas Boatworks, and my dad loved the lines of the boat and it's Yanmar diesel engine but by this time he was already in his mid 70s and he was looking after my now frail mom. He settled on a 15'6 fiberglass rowing Dory which he kept at stream side in the backyard. I inherited this Dory almost 11 years ago after his passing. I had to sell that stream side property last November (and divy up the monies 6 ways between siblings) so the Dory now sits landlocked in the yard of my new (to me) home.
WOW what a long rant, must be my pain meds.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Ji in Hawaii wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 6:01 pm ...He was seriously considering ordering a New England built Bruno & Stillman boat. We had the brochures but the shipping cost (to Hawai'i) killed the deal. He even considered running it down the coast through the Panama Canal and then loading it up with drum cans of extra diesel fuel to make a run across the Pacific to Hawai'i. I know of no seaman more capable than he, and I was extremely excited to be a part of his crew but...
Pain meds or not, that's a great story Ji!

I did some Google research for you and I found these... Enjoy!!! :wink:

Here's a 32' 1979 Bruno & Stillman made lobster boat that's for sale in SC...

1979 B&S 32.jpg

And here's Ji and his Dad making the run from Panama to the big island!!! :!:

Ji's Dad's L Boat.jpg

( Actually, it's a Hinckley Yacht "Picnic Boat" undergoing sea trials off of Bass Harbor Bar in 8' seas... )

Old No7
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

WOW, Thanks for the research and photos. I was surprised I never found the brochures for Bruno & Stillman in my dad's things while packing up before my move last September. That post above I made using my very first smart phone which is totally new to me, still trying to figure out how to save and post pictures with that thing. I've had it for just a tad over a month, and I'm a slow learner tech-wise.

I did a little research on my normal computer and found out that Atlas Boatworks is still in business and located in Cape Coral, Florida where my kid sis lives, and where I may be settling down eventually when I retire in about 7 years. Who knows, maybe I'll eventually have a canal-front home with a Pompano 21 in my backyard. :mrgreen:

https://acadia25.com/pompano-21/
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31