New Shooters!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

New Shooters!

Post by Griff »

The Brown Truck brought some new shooters to my house yesterday! When I opened the brown cardboard shipping box and found this inside... I was a little concerned:
Image.
For I didn't order 1858 Remingtons. While they're good guns... and as they should, have any number of proponents... I'm not among them! I've owned one, even shooting at EOT (End of Trail, the World Championship of Cowboy Action) with one back in the late 1980s. If find the grip to be unsettled, and the reach to the hammer a might long for my hands.

I was even a bit more worried when I opened up that box and found this inside:
Oh, man... I sure hope this contains what I ordered... I mean... I ordered a pair of revolvers with consecutive serial numbers... a matching set if you will. I knew what was coming wasn't consecutive numbers... they didn't have a set... but there was only one number between the set I was supposed to receive! Let's hope the shipping person didn't goof this up!

I'd ordered the pair to compete this September in a big cowboy action match. It was for a side match event I ran last year, where one uses a pair of C&B revolvers, a single shot rifle and a lever-action or side-by-side shotgun! It was supposed to be a quick 4 stages... and I'd arranged with the match director to get an additional buckle for the highest ranking finisher using this particular model revolver! (Might be the ONLY way I'd win a buckle)!!! Anyway, that side match has been cancelled... as only 2 folks had entered! So now, the challenge is to shoot the regular match with this model revolver! We're going to have a "category in a category!"

Anyway, when I got the styrofoam container opened... I found what I'd ordered! A pair of 1836 Colt Patersons!

The height of the gunmakers art in 1836! A leap forward only eclipsed by the auto loaders of JMB... And maybe not even by that! For this was the first repeating handgun! Just think... 5 shots were there had previously only existed ONE!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New Shooters!

Post by M. M. Wright »

Wow Griff, you should get a buckle for style points shootin' those babies. We need a video of you shootin' 'em. "Smoke and fire!"
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Holy smokes Griff very nice indeed. 8) 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Nice hair-raising story. Glad you got what you wanted. :P :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice! I've never held a Patterson. Always thought they looked really cool though.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Oh soooo envious (but in a good way) :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The Comanche won't know what hit 'em...... 8)

Very very nice.... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Twice as good as my Patterson repro. :mrgreen:

They are, however, quite a good remedy for the stomach flutters you must have been experiencing during the unwrapping. :)

In your shooting, are extra (loaded) cylinders needed, and would any extras be interchangeable all around ?

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Way Cool!!

Bet that's going to be fun!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pete44ru wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 5:27 pmTwice as good as my Patterson repro. :mrgreen:

They are, however, quite a good remedy for the stomach flutters you must have been experiencing during the unwrapping. :)

In your shooting, are extra (loaded) cylinders needed, and would any extras be interchangeable all around ?
Is that because there's two of 'em?

You're allowed to have extra charged, (not capped), cylinders in case of a needed reload (rare), but you have change the cylinder and THEN cap... on the clock! Being as they're "five" shooters, if there's any misses, well... just grin and bear it! Cause these babies ain't quick & easy to reload!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

When my son was eight years old, being a good rural midwesterner, I of course got him a generic 'KaBar' 7" straight knife for Christmas......when I went to wrap it, I found it fit perfectly in a Barbie Doll box his sister was throwing out.... :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:20 pmWhen my son was eight years old, being a good rural midwesterner, I of course got him a generic 'KaBar' 7" straight knife for Christmas......when I went to wrap it, I found it fit perfectly in a Barbie Doll box his sister was throwing out.... :mrgreen:
That's just cruel!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:20 pm When my son was eight years old, being a good rural midwesterner, I of course got him a generic 'KaBar' 7" straight knife for Christmas......when I went to wrap it, I found it fit perfectly in a Barbie Doll box his sister was throwing out.... :mrgreen:
:lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I had the same issue when my Capt Shaffer arrived. The whole time unwrapping I was mumbling "It better not be a Rem, It better not be a Rem" Luckily it wasn't. Guess it is just their generic box that all cap and balls arrive in. Sure does get your heart rate and adrenalin up while getting down to the goodies though. Nice looking Pattersons.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Griff, you have impeccable taste! Do you have any Texas blood in your family? If so, the Pattersons will get your heart racing.
I briefly owned a Pietta version and they can be a challenge to handle without practice.
I admire many things about the Remington, but like you, they don't fit my hand worth a hoot. I wish they did.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Very nice.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Congrats Griff. You have great taste!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Oh the suspense.

Great looking shooters, Griff.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

It's lots of fun to wrap things in unrelated boxes. Christmas at our place was always a hoot to see who got what in what kind of box. One thing almost guaranteed - the contents of the box had nothing to do with the labeling on the box! The only thing you lacked was fortyeleven layers of tape and plastic bags! I've never had the privilege of handling a Patterson Colt, not even a reproduction. Someday, perhaps. I second the motion of you sharing a video with us! :D
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've been trying to upload the video for going on 3 days now... it'll get to 90%... then just seems to quit. Trying again... now @ 3%... When I get it posted... in answer to your immediate question... no, it's not slow-motion! :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Griff wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 5:33 pm I've been trying to upload the video for going on 3 days now... it'll get to 90%... then just seems to quit. Trying again... now @ 3%... When I get it posted... in answer to your immediate question... no, it's not slow-motion! :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Griff wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:41 pm
AJMD429 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:20 pmWhen my son was eight years old, being a good rural midwesterner, I of course got him a generic 'KaBar' 7" straight knife for Christmas......when I went to wrap it, I found it fit perfectly in a Barbie Doll box his sister was throwing out.... :mrgreen:
That's just cruel!
But funny! :lol:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Leverluver wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:42 am I had the same issue when my Capt Shaffer arrived. The whole time unwrapping I was mumbling "It better not be a Rem, It better not be a Rem" Luckily it wasn't. Guess it is just their generic box that all cap and balls arrive in. Sure does get your heart rate and adrenalin up while getting down to the goodies though. Nice looking Pattersons.
Had the exact same experience with the exact same gun (A "Capt. Schaffer") last year! :shock:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:16 am Griff, you have impeccable taste! Do you have any Texas blood in your family? If so, the Pattersons will get your heart racing.
I briefly owned a Pietta version and they can be a challenge to handle without practice.
I admire many things about the Remington, but like you, they don't fit my hand worth a hoot. I wish they did.
I've also always preferred the Colt grip, though the Paterson's don't have it so much!

Griff, did they come serial numbered as expected?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Here's the range report: Shooting the new Pietta Patersons.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Cool beans Griff but if ya ever come for a visit and the bear shows up ya better grab the rifle.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pitchy wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:03 pmCool beans Griff but if ya ever come for a visit and the bear shows up ya better grab the rifle.
Absolutely... and not that little pipsqueak 45 Colt rifle either!

Got the Paterson apart... and finally identified the little part the was floating around in the action!! :shock: One of the locking bolt ears broke off. Now... to sweet talk EMF out of a replacement!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Were you having issues with poor fitting caps? I've got a Ruger Old Army that someone "tuned", need to replace the mainspring as it doesn't have enough OOMPH to set off caps reliably. I hope you post another video once you get 'em tuned up and running right. :)
Paul - in Pereira

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:16 amGriff, you have impeccable taste! Do you have any Texas blood in your family?
No, although my entry to the US as a US citizen is Dallas, TX... does that make me a native Texan?
Ysabel Kid wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 8:15 pmI've also always preferred the Colt grip, though the Paterson's don't have it so much!
Griff, did they come serial numbered as expected?
While the Paterson grip is different from the SAA, not unnaturaly so. Yes, one digit separating the two.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!