R.I.P. Dick Casull

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

R.I.P. Dick Casull

Post by Pete44ru »

A significant gun/cartridge designer & maker, Dick Casull, has sadly passed away (I have no details at this time).

R.I.P., Dick. :(

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sun May 13, 2018 9:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Re: R.I.P. Dick Cassull

Post by Merle »

RIP from me too..... :(
Merle from PA
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I just heard about Dick's passing this morning as well from my friends. Sad day for me. I'm told that he knew his time was short and he planned on donating most of his collection to the museum in Cody. The rest will be taken care of by his son and wife Jeri. Please say some prayers for his family at this time. :( -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Don`t know of him but prayers up for all concerned.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Pitchy wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:39 am Don`t know of him but prayers up for all concerned.

Pitchy, Dick designed the famous .454 Casull cartridge, the tiny RF Mini revolvers that led to the NAA Mini's of today, and AFAIK had a hand in designing the Freedom Arms CF single-action revolvers (among other things, like a single-shot pistol, of course).

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Pete44ru wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:44 am
Pitchy wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:39 am Don`t know of him but prayers up for all concerned.

Pitchy, Dick designed the famous .454 Casull cartridge, the tiny RF Mini revolvers that led to the NAA Mini's of today, and AFAIK had a hand in designing the Freedom Arms CF single-action revolvers (among other things, like a single-shot pistol, of course).

I`m not in the loop much so forgive my ignorance about him, thanks for filling me in about him.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Here you go Pitchy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Casull

What is not well known is that he had a host of fully functional firearm prototypes that never saw production that he hand-built himself in his machine shop which is HUGE and more worthy of a small factory outfit. These included a semi-auto rifle design, two fully automatic machine guns in 22 LR and 22 Mag with drum magazines, and 3 (IIRC) Winchester '86 leverguns he converted to 454 Casull. Dick could do his own metal hardening in his shop. His mechanical design ability was second only to John Browning himself IMHO but he also was a ballistician that Browning wasn't. Dick had two binders full of patents back when they were affordable for individuals before they jacked up the prices so high that only corporations could afford them. He truly was an iconic individual. I'm grateful that most of his guns will go the museum in Cody so we can all enjoy them. He was truly a genius waaaaay ahead of his time.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

SargeMarlin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by SargeMarlin »

God bless Dick and his family. A big bore legend and an icon of mine.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Pitchy wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:52 am
I`m not in the loop much so forgive my ignorance about him, thanks for filling me in about him.

You're very welcome, Pitchy...... :)

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Legend for sure, thanks.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Another Good Man gone, may he rest in peace. Condolences to his family and friends.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Without a doubt, the first man to bring REAL power to revolvers. Not to downplay Elmer but Elmer, in reality, expanded on what was already there with the help of the giant S&W. I remember reading about Dick back in the late sixties and his "tri-power" 45 Colt loads....Bullseye then Unique then 2400. The guy blew up a fair amount of heat treated single action Colts before reaching his goal. Not only did Dick think it all out, he built the guns and developed the loads with his own knowledge.

A true mechanical genius and if I remember correctly, was an early recipient of the Outstanding Handgunner Award.----6
Model A Uzi’s
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

R.I.P. Sir
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

A few years ago I had the absolute honor of spending over an hour talking with Dick at the Shot Show in LasVegas. Amazing machinist and just a wealth of knowledge about ballistics, metallurgy, manufacturing and shooting. I happened to catch him sitting to the side of his booth where he was showing a revolutionary new rifle action that could contain well over 90,000 PSI ( he wouldn’t disclose the actual number).....This new action did not have conventional lugs on the bolt. It has an array of “fingers” that expanded into the chamber that was cut into the barrel itself. Brilliant! Not sure why it never made it int9 production.

I have a Freedon Arms Model 83 in 454 Casull. Easily the most accurate revolver I own.....a big black bear and a few deer can attest to this fact.....
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

That was a really nice and accurate description of the man. Dick was buried today, I thought this obit was very nice:

http://www.schwabmortuary.com/index.cfm?ID=3

His name only has one "S" in it by the way.

-Tutt

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I apologize for the mis-spell/typo , Tutt. :oops:

I meant no disrespect..............

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The world is certainly richer because of him.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: R.I.P. Dick Casull

Post by CowboyTutt »

Pete, no problem, at least I think you say his name right. There's a guy on YouTube with many videos who repeatedly pronounces Dick's name as Cas-sul with a short "uh" sound instead of the long "oo" sound. Makes me absolutely cringe every time he does it. Its pronounced "Cas-ool" phonetically, at least as good as I can write it out phonetically.

Myself and a number of good friends in the firearms world got to visit Dick and Jeri at his home 3 times in 2009 and 2010. The first time was me and my best friend Tym only, after that I returned the same year with McPherson, Torkelson (both Shootists) and By Smalley, an actual "rocket scientist" who with McPherson created Superior Ballistics. I passionately knew that I needed to connect these various genius's and just be a witness to what they would talk about.

That meeting went so well, we returned for a 3rd visit the next year with all the above people and Jim Williamson also a Shootist. Dick and Jeri's hospitality was "World Class" as Torkelson put it. The heady discussion between such knowledgeable firearms people was amazing and some good laughs too.

Some of the most priceless memories in my life, which is why I am sad to see Dick pass away.

I haven't really spoken publicly about this, I need to write an article I think to honor Dick. I think I have the only videos ever taken of Dick according to his wife. I need to write something up, and submit them to Jeff at Gunblast, I think he would accept them.

I found Dick very generous with his time, just as reported a few posts above, especially to an unknown person like me and my best friend. Its for that reason I'm truly sad to hear of his passing.

-Tutt

piller
Posting leader...

Re: R.I.P. Dick Casull

Post by piller »

I had only known about his .454 Casul cartridge. It certainly sounds as if he was a very intelligent and capable man. May he Rest In Peace.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

rbertalotto wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 3:46 pm... a revolutionary new rifle action... did not have conventional lugs on the bolt. It has an array of “fingers” that expanded into the chamber that was cut into the barrel itself...
Sounds like the Blaser?