Air rifle ammo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Air rifle ammo

Post by gcs »

Been recovering from bi lateral hip replacements, doing very well thank you, and have time to have foolish thoughts.
I was given a cheap Daisy pump up BB rifle many years ago and once in awhile I use it to eliminate an annoying squirrel, the darn thing is quite accurate, and sufficient for squirrels as far as the bird feeder.I've been using standard BB's but then the foolish thoughts kicked in,.. so,... has anyone substituted .177 LEAD bb's?, sort of "heavy for caliber" ammo, lol
They are available, I doubt they would make much of a difference at short range, and I would expect a loss of velocity, and will probably never do it, but was wondering if anyone ever did something like that and what were the results.
Thanks guys :D
AmBraCol
Webservant

Re: Air rifle ammo

Post by AmBraCol »

If it's a Daisy pump up, the odds are that it's an 880. If so, it will also shoot pellets quite well. Never have used lead BBs in one of them so can't speak from experience, but the pellets were what we used for serious work. The weight forward construction of the typical waisted pellet gives good stability even in a smooth bore. We used our 880's back in the day for game way tougher than a squirrel, with excellent results as long as we did our part. Pick up a can of Crosman or Daisy pellets and give it a try. I'd use a round tip (not pointed nor flat) type pellet myself for that application.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My G/F has a co2 Makarov .177 pistol with a rifled barrel, the Russian handbook recommends lead BBs but they tend to stick in the magazine, so she uses steel BBs.
I have not shot it enough with either to tell which if any is harder hitting. If I had a Daisy pump up I would try different ammo just to see which is best.
I have been trying different.177 pellets in my Norica Thor air rifle and like Paul said, round headed or domed pellets seem to be the best performers IMHO.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I actually took a rooster with my single stroke daisy BB gun many moons ago!
I have in the long past used lead BB in a 17 air rifle and they work very well on small game, in fact just like patched ball from a long rifle.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I know and recognize that the lead pellets are more desirable, but I few years ago I nailed a troublesome coon on the back deck thru the head with a steel BB in my nearly 50-year-old Crossman 760 pump up. DRT.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Thanks guys, I never really paid attention to the gun, but its a Daisy 856, 10 pumps supposed to get to 650+ fps. I thought it was strictly BB's, but sure enough it will take pellets which I will now
pick up . With the BB's it is quite accurate even with the cheapie iron sights, I've never gone over 6 pumps but it knocks squirrels for a loop with head shots. Got the owners manual downloaded so I can see what I'm supposed to do with it, :D
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you're on Facebook there's a closed group there called AIRGUN CHAT & BS where folks discuss this sort of thing.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.