WANT! Win 95 in 7.62 Russian!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

WANT! Win 95 in 7.62 Russian!

Post by Arminius »

I BADLY ;-) want a NEWLY made Win 95 ( Carbine? ) in 7.62 x 54 Russian.

WITH stripper clip guide for easy loading!

Do you see any chance, that such a beauty will ever be offered?

thx, Hermann
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Re: WANT! Win 95 in 7.62 Russian!

Post by 765x53 »

Sure!
1: Find a specimen, any condition.
2: Send it to Turnbull Restoration. https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/res ... -services/
3: Get out your check book and maybe, see your banker.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Not a carbine, however it is fun to shoot!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

But ... but ... but I want a NEWLY manufactured one ... one that I can shoot and take to the woods ...

:roll:

Hermann
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Arminius wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:43 pm But ... but ... but I want a NEWLY manufactured one ... one that I can shoot and take to the woods ...

Hermann
Make you one.
Buy a new 1895 and rebarrel it. Of course, it will have a tang safety, but you want new.

I'd much rather have Jason's musket
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I wouldn't hold my breath. The Miroku 95s never were all that popular (I do have two). The chances of them taking on a Rusky 95 are slim to none. Even less likely is that they get the cartridge feeding right with the stripper clip guide. And it takes more than just the guide. The lips of the magazine have to be different from all the other 95s as none of them can take a cartridge just "pushed down", and certainly not a rimmed one. At the very least, Miroku would have to have an original so they could get the parts to work right. That doesn't even mention all the extra "safety" junk they would add. Plus, just how many people want the 7.62R cartridge? Can you still get stripper clips; can clips be used from other guns (Moison-Nagant)???? All that is a lot of negatives to justify taking a chance on selling maybe 500-1000 rifles.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

They all use the same stripper clip. The steel ones are better than the brass, but they both work. The 7.62r is still quite popular and pretty easy to reload. I know I'd be up for one, though if I had a choice I'd rather have one in .303 British. Almost bagged a real one a month ago but for $2250 the bore just wasn't there enough to make me part with that much $.

jb 8)

HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I'd be happy if they'd just do another run of the SRC's. I have two but I wouldn't mind a few more.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

This is a very cool idea to have a newly manufactured 95 SRC in 7.62x54R (and also in 303 British) as someone else suggested. Best shot for getting one is to write to Winchester (Glenn Hatt is the production manager IIRC). If he hears from enough people, it could be a very good possibility they would make it happen. I'll write!!! :D Just this year, they came out with an 1886 Short Rifle with 24" barrel in 45-90! Pretty neat. I just bought one of the same rifles last year in 45-70 with the intention of having the chamber reamed in order to get a 45-90!
Back to the 1895. One thing to consider if you were to re-barrel. I'm not sure how many different magazines the 1895 utilizes for the various calibers it was originally offered in. Maybe one for the rimmed cartridges based on the 405 WCF and one for rimless ones like 30-03 & 30-06? Someone who is 95 savvy could perhaps enlighten us on the matter.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I have one of the miroku 95 carbines in 30/06 and would love one in 303
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Arminius wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:43 pm But ... but ... but I want a NEWLY manufactured one ... one that I can shoot and take to the woods ...

Hermann
I can't see anything wrong with shooting one like 2ndovc's. You're sure not going yo hurt it or devalue it. The crew here would think it adds to the mistique.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

M. M. Wright wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:11 pm
Arminius wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:43 pm But ... but ... but I want a NEWLY manufactured one ... one that I can shoot and take to the woods .. :roll:
Hermann
I can't see anything wrong with shooting one like 2ndovc's. You're sure not going yo hurt it or devalue it. The crew here would think it adds to the

I agree.......but......Jason's is an exceptional example....I've only seen several and they were beat..beat...beat.

We all want so if you want, do as 765x53 says and stop whining.----6
Model A Uzi’s
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

Leverluver wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:07 pm I wouldn't hold my breath. The Miroku 95s never were all that popular (I do have two). The chances of them taking on a Rusky 95 are slim to none. Even less likely is that they get the cartridge feeding right with the stripper clip guide. And it takes more than just the guide. The lips of the magazine have to be different from all the other 95s as none of them can take a cartridge just "pushed down", and certainly not a rimmed one. At the very least, Miroku would have to have an original so they could get the parts to work right. That doesn't even mention all the extra "safety" junk they would add. Plus, just how many people want the 7.62R cartridge? Can you still get stripper clips; can clips be used from other guns (Moison-Nagant)???? All that is a lot of negatives to justify taking a chance on selling maybe 500-1000 rifles.

The .30-06 (and I assume the .30-03) can be loaded by just pushing the cartridge down on my Miroku. The magazine on my .30-40 is different but as far as I can tell the difference is only at the back of the magazine where the short feed lips are, the rimless version appears a touch longer the rear of the lips being removed to accommodate the rim on the Krag version. I don't know how the Russian version differs but it would be neat to play around with.

Whats out chances of them doing an NRA Musket along with the Russian Musket? We need to get busy sending emails!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have seen CRS' 95 in .405 Win. It is a nice rifle. Once I watched him working on it due to having the top cartridge get its rim behind the cartridge below it. He got it fixed, but it took a few minutes. As long as it is loaded correctly, it is an excellent gun. I don't have one, so I don't really know how to make sure it is loaked correctly. I understand the principle, but not the practical application. One in 7.62 Russian might be a lot of fun, but I would be more interested in one in .30-06 or .405 Win. I am not all that interested in the 7.62 Russian. Nothing against it, it is just that it doesn't catch my interest. It is obviously a good caliber, and it certainly is capable of accuracy, but it is not interesting to me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

I adore old time specimens.

But for hard hunting and using and shoting it a lot at the range I want a newly made one.

The 7.62 x 54 R was IIRC the MOST made version! Serveral millions für Russia, pre 1917.

And don´t forget, the 7.62 Russian iss still made in millions of rounds.

And I have heard, the loading with stripper clips made it the easiest loading ´95.

I´ll write USRAC. Or ist it Brwoning now?

Hermann
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

M. M. Wright wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:11 pm

Hermann
I can't see anything wrong with shooting one like 2ndovc's. You're sure not going yo hurt it or devalue it. The crew here would think it adds to the mistique.
I shoot mine quite often. Though the '95, Finn 39 and my SVT-40 ONLY get handloads with brass cases and powders/ primers I know for sure aren't corrosive. I ruined the bore of a Mosin M38 by not cleaining it properly after shooting what was supposed to be "non-corrosive" powder.
I can't stand having a firearm around and not knowing how it shoots.

jb 8)

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:03 pm

I agree.......but......Jason's is an exceptional example....I've only seen several and they were beat.
We all want so if you want, do as 765x53 says and stop whining.----6
I have only seen a few Russian 1895s and they were extremely worn out. Zero finish and much abuse.
I'd love to have a nice one like Jason's.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

I think that 303 British and 30-40 Krag calibers in a Winchester 95 would be close enough to the Russian, that you wouldn't know the difference. Just the loading without the stripper clip. I have one of each in the rifle configuration, and both have nice bores. I plan on shooting both, now that I am retired.
fatboy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by fatboy »

I'm showing my age but I remember well when Rooshian Model 95's graced the back pages of several gun mags as surplus. I think the asking price was 50bucks or so; I wasn't interested and bought a Model '98 Persian Mauser carbine for 50bucks delivered to me (I was 14 at the time) at the local post office.
Bob
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

fatboy wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:38 am I'm showing my age but I remember well when Rooshian Model 95's graced the back pages of several gn Mauser carbine for 50bucks delivered to me (I was 14 at the time) at the local post office.
Bob
Yeah, I remember that too except I bought the British SMLEs 'cause they were only $12.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS