1891 Parker

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

1891 Parker

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well I just won an auction in Massachusetts for a circa 1891 Parker EH 10 gauge . That unto itself is no big deal , the intrest to me in this gun is the fact that it has factory 28" barrels only 68 or 69 were made in this grade with that length barrel . It's also by the "Parker letter" choked cylinder and close ! This thing "oughtta" be pretty decent with my buckshot and or slug handloads . Guns on a #2 frame and by the letter is a couple ounces under 8 pounds supposedly . Won't get to see it in person until March 19th as I'm outta the country until then . But after I get home hopefully I can get the couple small issues addressed as well as trying it on targets . Thing should do very well on the skeet field with my Red Dot powder and 1 1/8 ounces of shot handload !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 1891 Parker

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Usually the old "short 10s" pattern very well. I have a Remington hammer Model 1889 that was my great grandfather's and was modified by a gunsmith here in Southern CA sometime in the first decade of the 20th century (it was made in 1893). It began with the standard "short" 2 5/8" chambers. The chambers were later lengthened to the "old magnum" 2 7/8" length and the left barrel kept with an improved modified choke but marked "Not for Ball." The left barrel had all the choke removed for shooting "punkin' balls," and the rib had a small set of open sights neatly dovetailed into it and zeroed for the ball ammo that was still available then. I've fired both barrels with shot (old factory Peters #4s) and they pattern very well, even the chokeless barrel. I have about 4 rounds of factory ball (also Peters) but haven't fired it because it is hard to find and I can't see handloading more--it would take a custom mold to make the balls.

Worst thing about it is that it has excessive drop in the stock, which makes it kick like mad, even though I put a pullover pad on it. It has the fluid steel barrels that their field grade guns had ("Damascus" was for swells--my great grandfather hung onto his silver!).

Enjoy your Pahkah!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Thanks ! This one should fit in well with the others of the same brand in my accumulation .
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I rarely see Parker's for sale over here, you are fortunate to find so many. Congratulations :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

gamekeeper wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:01 am I rarely see Parker's for sale over here, you are fortunate to find so many. Congratulations :mrgreen:
Just for the record I have a few that came from your side of the pond as well !

In particular a circa 1881 W&C Scott back action 10 gauge that was owned by my maternal grandfather from 1946 until his demise when it came into my possesion . That gun got me started loading for 10's . Now I think in my accumulation I have ten double 10's all hammerless except for a trio of Parkers . I "had" a very nice circa 1905 WW Greener 10 with fluid steel barrels that I let go a couple months ago .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Wait, didn't you get another Parker 10 last time you left here?

I say it's high time for you to get all your Parkers out for some pitcher takin so we can drool! Yeah it can wait till you get back.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:11 pm Wait, didn't you get another Parker 10 last time you left here?

I say it's high time for you to get all your Parkers out for some pitcher takin so we can drool! Yeah it can wait till you get back.
Thats all good and fine !

And yes last year I actually bought two while I was overseas a GH #2 frame 12 gauge 32" and an NH 10 gauge #3 frame 32" .

But after photobucket jumped ship I have no intrest in learning how to do it thru some other website . I post some on FB and thats gonna be about it .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The Parker arrived at the shop yesterday or so I was told via email and it arrived in good shape so I was told !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

At the moment the wife and I are sort of on a vacation !

We went to Butuan Saturday spent the night stayed in a hotel there , then went on to Surigao today and will spend 4 nights there then back to Butuan for a night then back to Cagayan de Oro City . This place we're at in Surigao is very nice although its raining , I got a pretty decent deal on a balcony room on the ocean its actually more like a suite . If it rains the whole time I'm okay with it , I can lay around in the room and on the balcony !