Picked up two 'new' 38-55's (photos)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Picked up two 'new' 38-55's (photos)

Post by KirkD »

Over the past month or so, I've picked up two vintage 38-55's. I bought both of these for the purpose of shooting and hunting, so did not want a high-condition rifle. I've not had these two to the range yet, and plan to wait until it warms up a bit. The first is full octagon Model 1894 in a solid 80% condition that was made in 1904. I've mounted an original period tang sight. The serial number is 224,924 and it's all original except for the copper blade on the front sight. I don't think Winchester made copper blades as far as I know.

The second is what appears to be a deluxe Model 1894 with fancy wood, H-checkering, button mag, Marbles ivory bead front sight, and a standard Winchester flat-top rear sight. The serial number is 919,419, it was made in 1920, and the barrel date is '20'. Like most 1920's receivers and forehand caps, the blue got lost/flaked very fast. The bore is outstanding, even immediately ahead of the chamber throat. I would rate it at 9+ out of 10, were '10' is reserved for virtually mint rifles. I bought this rifle feeling a little doubtful it was original, since the wood was so nice (except for a tiny chip out of the toe of the buttstock). However, when I took the wood off, it had the usual 100 years of dried oil and crud that one would expect.

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Picked up two 'new' 38-55's (photos)

Post by Nath »

Full marks for class our friend. :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Reckon you done well Kirk, either one of those should bring down one of your big White Tails.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Outstanding! Isn't 38-55 considered good medicine for anything up to moose? I've never owned one but would not feel undergunned in any situation.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Those are beautiful Kirk! Congratulations.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Just beautiful :D. I have 5 38-55 94's. It's my favorite 94 chambering. Love the deluxe. :mrgreen:
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Glad you fellows are enjoying these old vintage rifles. I would not want to be without a 38-55.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Love 'em both!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Tanqueray
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Tanqueray »

Well you’ve made me a jealous man! I love the pre model 94 1894s, and would especially love one in 38-55.
More meplat, more better.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Kirk, you always show some classy old Winchesters, very nice indeed!!
can you find that quality of guns close to home? I know around here its next to impossible to find them in that shape

Brad
1894c

Post by 1894c »

KirkD -- those are two very nice Winchester's...the 38-55 cartridge has always intrigued me... :)
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Kirk, those two rifles could not have found a better home, well done and looking forward to the range report.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

ollogger wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:23 pmKirk, you always show some classy old Winchesters, very nice indeed!!can you find that quality of guns close to home? I know around here its next to impossible to find them in that shape
Brad
Brad, that's because everyone else in WY who wasn't interested in their grand-daddy's old rifle sold it 20 years ago at Cabela's... and ...some no-good-nick from from back east took it back home...
... ok, it was funnier before I typed it out! :o :o
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Crazy nice rifles Kirk, congrats on getting them and thanks for showing them. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I've had a couple 98% 38-55's but sold them because they just didn't seem to have much history to them. These, I like because they've done some work. Now to hunt down a nice 38-40.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

Beautiful examples of what quality products Winchester could offer. Showing a bit of honest use, documenting their experiences through time. Rifles with fancy wood and checkering without pistol grips are kind of a rare bird. Nicely done Kirk.

A Winchester Collector
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Very Nice Kirk, I've been wondering what You were up to. :D . I have a new to Me 44-40 and I researched Your loads hopefully I'll be trying them out this spring.
DaveInPA
Levergunner

Post by DaveInPA »

Wow those are nice.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Deeply impressed with both of those. The deluxe version - I have never seen a period 1894 rifle of such class.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Both really fine examples, and in very honest condition too from what I see! Congratulations!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

That second one is very shapely! Pity the blueing, but still a catch.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Carlsen Highway wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:20 am Deeply impressed with both of those. The deluxe version - I have never seen a period 1894 rifle of such class.
I think what does it for me is the straight grip. The deluxe pistol grips are nice, but for me there is something extra fine about the straight grip in fancy wood with checkering.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

KirkD wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:39 pm
Carlsen Highway wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:20 am Deeply impressed with both of those. The deluxe version - I have never seen a period 1894 rifle of such class.
I think what does it for me is the straight grip. The deluxe pistol grips are nice, but for me there is something extra fine about the straight grip in fancy wood with checkering.
I agree Kirk. Having grown up with "poor man", straight grip Winchesters, I prefer them to the pistol grips. They just shoulder and point better for me.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Very nice, Kirk !

I wonder if that copper front sight blade was fashioned from a US Indian Head penny...... :?:

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Pete44ru wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:57 pm I wonder if that copper front sight blade was fashioned from a US Indian Head penny...... :?:
I was wondering something similar myself. The length of the blade makes it too long for a standard sized penny, but this Winchester is a Canadian one, and we used "Large Cents" up until 1920 (see http://www.calgarycoin.com/modern/cdcent.htm ), so it might be made from a Canadian Large Cent. Both sides are smooth, however, so I can't make out any distinguishing features. Whoever mounted it in the original front sight did a very good job ... no sign of crimping the slot together at all, as if it came from the factory that way. I plan to leave that front sight the way it is, as it is a nice job and part of the history of the rifle.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

A deluxe checkered stock on a straight grip is more unusual than it would be on a pistol grip stock.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

that deluxe in that caliber ... well ..WOW!! it doesnt get much better

hunting with a rifle like that is a special pleasure. i have a ‘ semi-deluxe ‘ 1894 with almost same configuration in 38/55 made in 1895 ... went out with it and shot 2 running caribou out of group running past me —- like being back in the gold rush days

congratulations :D
cable
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Two very beautiful rifles. The top one is the style I fancy more but both beautiful nonetheless.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Very nice I like them both !

But that one with the button mag really talks to me :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Kirk, Looks like you hit the jackpot! I can certainly appreciate honest rifles and the deluxe is one that trips my trigger. It has enough use where a little more is guilt free.
I recently bought a 235 gr NOE mold with the hollow point pin and semi hollow pin and would like to try the semi hollow on a game animal.