Rossi Ranch Hand

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Rossi Ranch Hand

Post by 2ndovc »

Stopped in at a gun shop I haven't been in for several years last week and spotted a couple Rossi 92s on the rack. Noticed a Ranch Hand kinda stuck in a corner and asked to see it. It's a .45 Colt with a case colored receiver that apparently had been sitting around for awhile, still had the packing grease all over it. Made an offer and out the door I went.
Today's the first day in some time that it hasn't been 4 degrees out so I stopped by the range with a box of shells and had some fun. I have to say it's a goofy little thing but I liked it. I had a couple rounds stick a little while being chambered but that stopped after a bit and it worked quite nicely after that.

Didn't put anything on paper but after a dozen or so rounds I could easily keep it on the bowling pins shooting from the hip more often that not. Shoots high but I expected that.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Rossi Ranch Hand

Post by Pete44ru »

Have you tried spinning it, via that big loop, ala "The Rifleman" or "The Bounty Hunter" ? . :mrgreen:

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice I like it. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jason, I had one in .44 Magnum. Once I figured out a way to hold it from rest, it was surprisingly accurate and moved from the "well this ought to be fun" category to "potentially very useful tool." Oh -- and it benefited quite nicely from one of Nate Kiowa Jones's bolt safety peep sights.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Pete44ru wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:19 pm .

Have you tried spinning it, via that big loop, ala "The Rifleman" or "The Bounty Hunter" ? . :mrgreen:

About thirty seconds after I got it out of the box. :oops:
Won't do it again though. Not the safest thing to do I suppose. :D

jb 8)

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I LIKE the color-case hardening! Mine is just blue.

Couldn't resist twirling it either! ;)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Too many things are higher on my "have to have" list than the "Ranch Hand"... but, yeah, I get why it appeals!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

I still think these look like fun, and if they make it easier to hit what I’m shooting at, then great. I haven’t bought one though.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My all time favorite movie is "Once Upon a Time in The West". Woody Strode had one in the beginning of the movie and I thought it was just plain cool! When they came out I knew I had to have one but other things kept getting in the way. I couldn't make up my mind on what caliber so when this one made the decision for me it was a done deal. I have to order a holster yet. I know they're a little goofy but so am I so it works out just fine. :D

jb 8)

draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

Guess I’d have to see a video of someone shooting, cause I can’t picture any way to hold it where it’s comfortable to aim.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Pretty much a shoot from the hip proposition. Watch a couple episodes of "Wanted Dead or Alive" w/ Steve McQueen and you'll get the gist of it.

And, no it has no real practical application, but I couldn't care less. It's fun!

jb 8)

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jojo, I hope this makes sense, but I found a very comfortable and stable position from rest with the Ranch Hand. Imagine your left forearm along the left side of the gun with your left hand, thumb down, curled around the butt. Right hand is grasping the gun at the wrist, just you normally would, with index finger on the trigger. I found this to be a great way to shoot it, with my left hand catching the recoil.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

"And, no it has no real practical application, but I couldn't care less. It's fun!"

I have one in 44M and the only "practical application" I see requires a $200 tax stamp (i.e., a stock)
MTNSTRYDER
Levergunner

Post by MTNSTRYDER »

22lr and 44mag They are both very easy to hold and carry.Because they are “handguns” it’s legal to keep loaded in a vehicle I had to change sights on the Ranch Hand and the stock on the Rugar Charger.Now both hit where you aim.https://www.levergunscommunity.org/down ... w&id=15907
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Leverluver wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:00 pm "And, no it has no real practical application, but I couldn't care less. It's fun!"

I have one in 44M and the only "practical application" I see requires a $200 tax stamp (i.e., a stock)
My thought exactly. It would make a nice trapper, but you would havevto get a stamp and put on a full sized stock.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I saw where someone put a really, really thick recoil pad on one to make it more comfortable to shoot.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

I’d wonder if these wouldn’t work similar to the 12ga things being sold by mossberg & Remington now? There is a lot of chatter about them, and the Remington rep at Shot Show said their Tac14 is the hottest selling gun they make now.

I wish I’d bought a Ranch Hand in 357 when they were made, and only needed a tuneup and new front sight.
John
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Well it sorta already is near the same. Only difference is that the RH got under the wire by being designated a "handgun"; the shockwave and the TAC14 got by being called "other firearm". I don't know how they got away with that but I got one before they (ATF) changed their minds 8) . Whether the RH or the Shockwave/Tac14, you still need a stamp to alter the factory grip. On the shotguns you can't put on either a full stock (short barreled shotgun) or a vertical pistol grip ( makes it shorter than 26"). I have heard that someone is working on a vertical grip (shockwave) that is still as long as the factory. That might be legal, emphasis on might.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Using the British CQB style for Submachineguns, short barreled weapons can become VERY accurate out to a few hundred yards.

It is not the critic who counts
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Here in the USA, the Ranch Hand pistols are easier to buy than a SBR, and we “make it work”. In, say Canada, they can just put a rifle stock on it. Good for them!

Same with the new 12 & 20 gauges; new legal guns that meet existing tiny print law.

I still have a Mare’s Leg on my wish list. I could appreciate it being a legal car gun.
John