Something Wrong With This Lyman Sight?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Alan in Vermont
Levergunner 1.0

Something Wrong With This Lyman Sight?

Post by Alan in Vermont »

I have a problem with a Lyman 66A(?) Receiver Sight mounted on an early '80s 94 Winchester. Nicely made sight, preferable to a Williams Foolproof, IMO. Or it would be except that it has a problem with the fit of the aperture holder to the windage slide.

The holder is so loose, in the bridge(part that goes over the receiver) that it can rotate upwards at the rear. Enough so that the view through the aperture becomes blurry & distorted because you are actually seeing the front end of the aperture tube.

In this pic the aperture is down and parallel to the bridge.
Lyman sight level.jpg
This one shows how far the aperture can rotate upward.
Lyman sight up.jpg
The holder is a loose fit in the cutout it slides in. On a Williams sight the holder is as long, front to rear, as the bridge is, it does not do anything weird. I have a Redfield here that has the holder as part of a sideways "H" with the legs of the H going on both top & bottom of the bridge, no movement on that one either.

I don't see how the bridge could have been abused enough to spread out the slot for the holder, nor can I find any evidence that the sight has been Bubba'd.

How does one get the holder & windage screw out of the bridge? I can put a machinists' rule/straightedge on the front(eye side) of the bridge and there is no gap wide enough to show light through. There is just a hint of light showing at the ends of the bridge when I do the same on the other side (where the little graduated scale is attached. If I can get the holder & windage screw out of there I'm going to try tapping it a little tighter in the middle then fit it to the holder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Something Wrong With This Lyman Sight?

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

It must have been bumped or dropped at some point damaging it. I have never tried to dissasemble one myself.
Sorry , no help here but here is a bump anyway. Good luck !
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I would use tweezers to slip a small section of a BCS (beer can shim) on top of the rear portion of the aperture base, under the edge of the bridge lip the aperture slides in.

Alan in Vermont
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Alan in Vermont »

I tinkered with it last night and cured what was ailing it!! This was after trying to fit a BCS in the gap,, not enough gap for that.

You remove the windage screw by first turning the windage screw almost all the way to the left. Then pry the two "ears" that are visible in the pics, immediately behind the windage screw away from the bridge. Not very much, all you have to do is get them moved away from the bridge far enough that the ears move enough to sit on top of the pins that hold that little plate in place. FWIW that plate is a spring washer and is what provides the "clicks" for adjustment. Once you get the plate loose you can tilt the windage screw up and out of the hole that anchors the inner end of the screw.

With the carrier and screw out of the way I able to peen the edges of the slot and file the displaced metal until the carrier was a snug fit for a distance of about 3/8" about in the center of the bridge.

Reassembly was pretty straightforward, screwed the carrier back on the windage screw, put the tip of it in the hole then snapped the knob down into position and eased the spring washer back over the locating pins. Probably took an hour in all.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Well done.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain