Strange marking on Winchester 92 Carbine?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Strange marking on Winchester 92 Carbine?

Post by Malamute »

I sent Driftwood a note on another forum he posts on. Hopefully hell be along and be able to help Two Bit with the info he wanted about the gun.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
cclark333
Levergunner

Post by cclark333 »

Does anyone know what a capital letter "E" stamped under the serial number of an 1892 manufactured in 1892 means?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the campfire :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Mystery solved. The marking is a stamp from the Argentine arsenal FMAP-Rosario. It is sometimes seen on FAL parts kits from FMAP. I recently saw an FAL lower receiver with the exact same marking stamped on it, which led me to talk to FAL guys about the marking and bingo!

These guns must have gone through a rework at FMAP, which would indicate they saw military or police (more likely) use in Argentina. Given the excellent bore condition on every one of them I have seen, it would appear that they were reblued and the stocks refinished and that was it.

Anywho...now we know. Wish I'd kept mine from way back. :)
.........THE TWINS..........

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

cubrock wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:17 am Mystery solved. The marking is a stamp from the Argentine arsenal FMAP-Rosario. It is sometimes seen on FAL parts kits from FMAP. I recently saw an FAL lower receiver with the exact same marking stamped on it, which led me to talk to FAL guys about the marking and bingo!

These guns must have gone through a rework at FMAP, which would indicate they saw military or police (more likely) use in Argentina. Given the excellent bore condition on every one of them I have seen, it would appear that they were reblued and the stocks refinished and that was it.

So glad to see this mystery solved. I knew I had seen that mark before but could not remember that it was in a long harangue over on FAL Files. I have a few FALs and think at least one has that "Tree Brand" mark on it. Thank you to all involved.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

cubrock wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:17 am Mystery solved. The marking is a stamp from the Argentine arsenal FMAP-Rosario. It is sometimes seen on FAL parts kits from FMAP. I recently saw an FAL lower receiver with the exact same marking stamped on it, which led me to talk to FAL guys about the marking and bingo!

Cubrock,

Thanks for the information! Do you have any information or a link which documents the use of the mark and the association to FMAP? I am not doubting you I would just like to one day be able to reference it when I put out a book on the 1892's.

Thanks so much
Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Michael,

I did a quick search on my two reference books on FALs and they don't go into markings on the Argentine guns. Thought I might be able to find you a primary source.

With that said, you see the mark on the left rear side of a lot of Argentine FAL lower receivers. You can see it in pictures in these threads. I've included a pic link from each thread that takes you directly to one of the relevant pictures, but there may be more in each thread.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthre ... 627&page=6

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p236 ... 0q12ev.jpg

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240673

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/fal06.jpg

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397518

http://i65.tinypic.com/2vv2i4l.jpg

And, there are others. The fact that you don't see it on all Argentine FALs makes me think it might be a rebuild mark rather than something put on the guns initially. That is simply a guess.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Seven year old thread....!

Pretty cool information and detective work....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

cubrock,

Thanks so much for the links and images. I think that indeed the puzzle may be solved. I have just registered on the FAL Files forum and will post a thread there. Did you ever get a chance to look for the photos of your 1892's which had this marking on them?

Thanks again
Michael
Michael Puzio
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

I have looked and haven't found them. They are on an archive drive somewhere around here. If I find them, I'll let you know. Mine were marked identically to the pictures posted in this thread, though.

twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

cubrock wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:04 am I have looked and haven't found them. They are on an archive drive somewhere around here. If I find them, I'll let you know. Mine were marked identically to the pictures posted in this thread, though.
Thanks. I would love to add any new SN's into my data.

Merry Christmas
Michael
Michael Puzio