73 SRC Recent aquisition

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

73 SRC Recent aquisition

Post by M. M. Wright »

This is my latest find and has been diverting my attention since my surgeries, (by-passes and knee replacement) I've got the barrel to where it shoots but not good enough and it's about 6 inches high at 25 yards. Needs more bullets down the barrel. Can Bobby Hoyt reline these little barrels? I'll have to ask him.

I've been wanting a 73 SRC in 44 W. C. F. for a while now so at the last Wanamacher I rode my Hovaround through the show looking for real Winchesters that met my specifies but were priced like Ubertis. This is what I found. Yes I spent a couple of days dis-assembling it and another cleaning the parts of 121 years of crud. I replaced most screws with better used ones and spent lots of time cleaning the bore. I re-cut the crown and will work on that even more. I should have videoed washing the wood as it was greasy black and took several washings to get some color to come through.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 73 SRC Recent aquisition

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Great find! Fantastic.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Congratulations, nice find.... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Great rifle pard and ya did a nice job cleaning it up, congrats. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

i like it!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

When we talked the other night you told me about this carbine. WOW it is really a nice one.
Congratulations on finding one this nice, I know you'll enjoy it. Will it make meat next fall??
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Very nice.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

JerryB wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:23 pm When we talked the other night you told me about this carbine. WOW it is really a nice one.
Congratulations on finding one this nice, I know you'll enjoy it. Will it make meat next fall??
Jerry, we have a 10 day doe season 22 thru 31 Dec. I'm takin' it out then if I can get the sights regulated. The front is worn down to where it shoots really high so I may have to slot the little block like later carbines so I can put in other blades. Don't really want to but it has a replacement dust cover and I lost the slide off the rear sight. Still, it's pretty stock, so maybe I better leave it alone. But I really want it to shoot as good as I can get it. I know I'll put a tang sight on it. I'd like a Lyman but maybe one of the Pedersolis? It came drilled so that's not a problem if the filler screws will come out. Come to think of it, I have a Rossi pump 22 with a Marbles on it. I could rob that for a while. Hmmmm.
Oh, and it ain't near as good as the pictures make it look.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

That is a dandy 73!!
I am going to buy one in 38-40 but not sure as of yet if its going to be old or a new one??

Brad
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Very Nice! I have one much like it in 38wcf. Mine too, shoots crazy high. I have just lived with it and have found it isn't too difficult to compensate for.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Very nice find, congratulations!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I have an SRC in similar condition an was told the carbine barrels are too thin to accept any liner. I got mine to shoot OK with gaschek 44cal bullets
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

We have a 3 day deer season right after Christmas. I have 2 92's that I want to try for a nice small doe. One is an 1892 Winchester rifle in .32wcf and a Rossi SRC in .357. Hope you get a load that suits you for that '73 .44wcf.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Ben_Rumson wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:57 am I have an SRC in similar condition an was told the carbine barrels are too thin to accept any liner. I got mine to shoot OK with gaschek 44cal bullets
Thanks for that info Ben. I can make a few gas checked bullets by turning down the base of some 200 grain cast that I have a mold for. Isn't this fun?
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Tanqueray
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Tanqueray »

That’s a great find, I’d love to own an original ‘73 one day. My ‘92 in 44-40 has a similar issue shooting about 6” high at 25 yards, I haven’t yet gotten around to sorting it out though.
More meplat, more better.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:06 pm Congratulations, nice find.... :mrgreen:
+1 :mrgreen: