1980's Puma stock

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

1980's Puma stock

Post by fordwannabe »

My 6 year old nephew has shown a bit of interest in shooting and has a chipmunk/crickett style 22. I would like to advance him to a centerfire and I have a Puma from the 80's in 38/357 that I worked up some subsonic loads for. The.problem is the stock is going to have to be cut a lot, I am hoping to be able to get a stock and cut the current one as it has a chip at the toe anyway. Will current Rossi stocks still fit the old ones? THANKS.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1980's Puma stock

Post by Pete44ru »

Yes, and the more commonly available Winchester 94 type buttstock can also be fitted to a Model 92 - in fact, I would strongly suggest obtaining a take-off Model 94 buttstock, then fit & shorten it, saving the original Rossi stock for his adulthood.

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Dang, Pete, awesome answer!

8)
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've also seen examples of people who cut down stocks then glued them back together after a few years. You can glue it back using dowel rods in both pieces to make it almost as strong as the original.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I have several 94/92 butt stocks. I'll look to see if any have been shortened already.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

A Winchester 94 buttstock will fit onto my Rossi 92?

I would rather have the 94 type shotgun butt on my Rossi than the 92 carbine style.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Rusty wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:40 pm I've also seen examples of people who cut down stocks then glued them back together after a few years. You can glue it back using dowel rods in both pieces to make it almost as strong as the original.
Just an FYI, if you pull the butt pad or plate off and drill your dowel holes before you cut the stock it goes back together much better.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Very good tip. Thank you. Still looking for a buttstock. A large gun show is this weekend and I am going before the little guys birthday party. When asked what he wanted for his birthday, he told my brother, you better get uncle TBone to help with these, he will know what to get. He wants a couple deer shed antlers, and some 22 ammo of his own to shoot. Love that kid.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I did a similar project for my son's (Y2K) first gun. It was a Marlin "Lil' Buckaroo" (15YN). Still way too long for him when he started shooting. I wanted to cut a stock down for him, but didn't want to mess with the original. I called Marlin about this, and a replacement stock cost more than half of what the gun cost. I explained my dilemma and Marlin said they would see what they could do. I figured I wouldn't hear back from them, but later that week, after a business trip, I returned home to find a box on my desk. It was a stock, marked "factory second", though I couldn't tell where - and they gave it to me!

I asked Y2K how he wanted it decorated, and he pointed to a picture of an Indian trade gun from one of my books. So I ordered brass black powder furniture, including a patch box, trigger guard and butt-plate. It's also decorated with brass tacks along the stock. He became a sharpshooter with that little rifle. He is now 19, bigger than I am (with a full beard too), but still loves his first gun.

Now I have something in my eye...